• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Last of Us: Does it really need a remake?

Lemon Zing

No. I don't believe it does.

I mean, the [original] game is so renowned, that I think people would play it, probably enjoy it for what it offers, but then say in reviews that it's nothing like the original due to having different actors involved.

It's not necessary to remake it. But anyway, you know how it is with the gaming industry and how everybody comes across as a money hungry sod. They know people will be there lining up on day one. And I ain't gonna lie. As much as I have bashed Capcom over the years, I still get on the hype train when they come out and announce something.

But anyway, you know how it is with the gaming industry and how everybody comes across as a money hungry sod. They know people will be there lining up on day one.

And that's exactly it. It's also the extent of it.

It's a cash grab. It's as simple as that. JUST the money. It's much, much, MUCH easier to remake/remaster something that is old, rather than having to create something entirely new with all of what that entails. And when you've got a franchise that's already so recognizable and known, well... that's the easiest of all.

It's not just that they want money. It's that they want ALL of the money, for NONE of the effort. And remakes are one of the closest things to that.

And honestly, Last Of Us is going to be... one of the more idiotic examples. Because, from a practical standpoint, and from a LOGICAL standpoint, there's zero reason to remake it. It's recent enough that no matter how much they tout a graphical upgrade, it will be very minimal, AND it's a game that already existed almost purely in a digital form; anyone can just bloody buy it already.

Uhhhhh

Okay this gets even stupider than I thought. Whole time I was typing this up till now, I kept thinking "something's off here" and I went and looked it up.

THEY ALREADY REMASTERED THIS BLOODY GAME. YEARS AGO.

I... what. Worse yet, the "remaster" came out like, one year after the original. That's... that's pathetic.

I thought this was going to be a PS3 to PS5 upgrade, so it would at least have SOME graphical leap. But no! It's 4 to 5! I... aaaaaaaaaaagh

I really, really hate this industry.

Granted, I've seen worse (very recently), but still.

Last edited:
By 'Remaster I assume you mean , slightly higher resolution textures, a bump in polygon count for main characters.

I don't follow Video games all that closely. I have pretty much given up on playing them for many years now.

The original (2013) doesn't need to be remastered. It still looks good.

For console-only releases, remakes are a way for them to become easily playable for those that don't have the console required for the original release. However, if you then don't make the remake a multi-platform release, you were obviously not really thinking of this angle.
That's AAA for you. I have the general stance that if you care about games as a medium that you only provide the AAA side of things the occasional sideglance, they're not really where the medium is thriving.

I didn't play it for the first time until 2017. I had it on the PS3, but just never played it at all. Hadn't even followed the hype for it when it came out. Although to be fair, 2013 was a horrible year for me.

But after I did play it, the game instantly came close to overtaken even Resident Evil as my favourite game ever. Technically, RE2 is still my all-time favourite, but RE in general has went downhill in my view. Then I played this, and nothing had came close to being a runner up favourite apart from Silent Hill.

I even really enjoyed Days Gone. That's still graphically, the best horror game the PS4 can boast of.

The Last of Us and Days Gone are practically the same. There may be subtle differences, but the gameplay is very similar. But I think that the latter game was not appreciated enough by Sony. It's really sad, because Bend Studio went that extra mile to deliver something that proved to be stunning. If not for the glitches hampering it somewhat, I think people would have gladly gave it more favourable reviews. But it just wasn't to be.

I thought the game had longevity. Because when you play any RE game, it usually only lasts you several hours, if you're used to RE games. This game was solid and had me entertained for over 2 weeks. There were legitimate times where I just got really mad at it, however, because of my bike acting up when a horde is chasing me. The game deserved to get a sequel, because the story was so engaging, and it's just a pity that Sony has lost faith in themselves.

New Threads

Top Bottom