1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Last Leg gets Ofcom complaints over Rosie Jones' 'disgusting' Greta Thunberg joke

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Aeolienne, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Major Tom

Major Tom Searching for ground control... V.I.P Member

Pretty sick joke regardless of who it is. IMO.. The girl is only 16..

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Bolletje

Bolletje Overly complicated potato V.I.P Member

Are you copying other people’s opinions, or are you basing this on Greta’s actual speeches and opinions?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. LucyPurrs

LucyPurrs NT, INFJ V.I.P Member

Greta has more common sense than most will ever have. And she is very far from being dumb. I agree that she is an inspiration.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Streetwise

Streetwise Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I think the difference is she has confidence what she talks about is uncomfortable

• Like Like x 1
  5. WildCat

WildCat V.I.P Member

Pretty sure she is adapting to it by now. Fortunately, she has a habit of striking back if her Twitter is any indication. Just have to wait and see.

Not much into climate change, definitely not with the same passion as Greta, but I definitely admire her tenacity in the face of constant opposition more than anything else.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BrokenBoy

BrokenBoy 戯言使い(Nonsense User)

The former.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Autistamatic

Autistamatic He's just this guy, you know? V.I.P Member

It should be noted that Rosie Jones is a significant champion of disability rights. She has Cerebral Palsy herself. The joke may be considered crass by any standard, but it was a joke, nothing more and certainly not intended with malice. You'll hear much worse than that on TV. British and American humour have some common ground, but some major differences too. Her point was that Greta has devoted her latter teen years in a way that most teens wouldn't because they'd be too preoccupied with doing the sort of thing the joke describes. The joke is on typical teenagers, not Greta.
    Greta has certainly demonstrated admirably that she's more than capable of taking a joke and has a thicker skin than most of those who genuinely DO wish to undermine her.
    It should also be noted that 22 complaints is a drop in the ocean. 22000 would still leave us shy of the record. A number so low is not even worthy of a report. Why it was reported on by certain journos may say a lot more about their own attitudes to a visibly disabled comedian than the crudest of jokes ever could.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Streetwise

Streetwise Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

and most teenagers is not all as we live in a democracy the not most are also of equal value

9. GrownupGirl

GrownupGirl Tempermental Artist

Is that what 16-year-olds are supposed to be doing? Well it's official: I was never a teenager. I just went from being a kid to a semi-adult.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Autistamatic

Autistamatic He's just this guy, you know? V.I.P Member

Whether you want to admit the truth that 16 year olds are most often going through a period of sexual self discovery & social development or not, the fact remains that it happens. It happens much younger too. Nobody implies that NOT doing so has any more or less value. If someone "saves themselves till marriage", is uninterested at that age or wants to participate and is just unlucky, their value as a human is undiminished. We all make our own decisions.
    We all went to school and even those who didn't participate saw many of the others pairing off and obsessing over boys or girls. They experiment, it's been a fact of life since time immemoriam. What were they doing? Well Rosie gave you a good idea.
    The fact that Greta has chosen to spend those years of her life doing something very different which is admired by millions around the world was the thrust of the joke. She's doing something meaningful with her life whilst the rest are often obsessing over boys/girls.
    It's disgraceful that this story should ever have been reported in the press as being of any interest. A great deal of Rose's humour stems from her challenging disability stereotypes. One of those is that disabled people are not sexual so her act is occasionally intentionally risqué. The programme she was on is a late night show known for it's confrontational humour and Rosie's quip was tame compared to much of what is said. On a given night comedian Jimmy Carr (who is often on the same channel an hour earlier) will be far more "blue" and address even more sensitive issues head on, and has made comments specifically about Greta "sexing up her act" which drew no attention. He is very famous and able bodied though, whereas Rosie is relatively new to the scene and very obviously disabled. When Jimmy made his comments, nobody raised an eyebrow.
    CP makes Rosie's movement slow and considered and her speech equally so. Some have cruelly mocked her for even getting up on stage. By making people uncomfortable about their own lives and what they consider "normal" she forces people to confront their prejudices about disabled people. Clearly 22 people and a few journalists are made so uncomfortable they choose to exercise double standards and target her when there are comedians who step much further outside their self imposed boundaries than she. It is hypocrisy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. NothingToSeeHere

NothingToSeeHere Asexuowl V.I.P Member

I thought the joke was gross but the amount of fuss made about it was ridiculous. Comedians make awful jokes all the time, many far more offensive than this. To be honest I think a large part of the backlash had more to do with the comedian (a disabled woman making an offensive sexual joke *gasp*) than what was said.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Aeolienne

Aeolienne Well-Known Member

One of my thoughts was, how do we know Greta isn't into fingering? She might be in a relationship which she had chosen not to announce publicly, or she could have a friend with benefits. After all, she's met plenty of people through the youth climate strikes, plus who knows what she might have done to while away the time during her translatlantic crossings...

As someone has commented below the Independent's coverage of this story Imagine if a male comedian made that joke? End of career.

13. Au Naturel

Au Naturel Au Naturel

Greta is very much like Joan of Arc. She's a great symbol. Her parents (Mom is an opera singer and Dad is an actor) were already active on the issue and of course, so was she. The powers that be saw she had the right stuff and ran with it.

No 16 year old has the qualifications to be a spokesperson for the deep and complex scientific, political, social and economic issues of climate change. Her value is in her novelty and her emotional appeal.

She has a history of serious depression in addition to her HFA. Last I read, her father regrets pushing her into the forefront of the climate debate. (She didn't get there on her own. No child celebrity ever does.) Like many child celebrities, it isn't always a good place to grow up.

It is a very important cause. But she is still being used.

14. Aeolienne

Aeolienne Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. hatfullofrain

hatfullofrain Well-Known Member

I'm English and even I don't get crass humour. It's just lazy. I don't find Rosie particularly amusing at the best of times.

If we're talking funny British women I'd recommend Jo Caulfield. She's hilarious and doesn't stoop to lazy shock humour.

16. Crossbreed

Crossbreed Neur-D Missionary ☝️

Is Goggle better than Google...? :p

[​IMG] (It sounds kind of messy, if you need "goggles...")

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 3
  17. Tesseract

Tesseract Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's garbage. She is nothing but a mascot for the radical, virtue-signalling 'Extinction Rebellion' activist movement.

18. Tesseract

Exactly. Why should we believe she isn't above criticism, or being made fun of? She's a public figure, who dabbles in politics and "science", and castigates everyone for simply using electricity and driving a car. She's just another hypocritical, radical environmentalist.

19. Taira

Taira Cat Person

What I react to when reading thatvreport is that it's considered fine to sexualise children in any kind of context. Saying she should get fingered orbsex up her act are equally gross. Adults shouldn't even imagine a child like that. But unfortunately laws are made that only prohibit creating images of it, not making jokes about it in public.

20. Tesseract

Do you want there to be laws against the making of jokes? I realise the joke was not very funny and in poor taste, but for some reason I just do not think it would be a good idea for taste in humour, or anything else, to be legislated. Besides, isn't she now 17? She's not exactly a "child" anymore.