• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Last Book You Read/Next Book You Want to Read?

Did you end up reading The Idiot?
I didn't. I ended up reading Ishmael by Daniel Quinn after, followed by some history books. I plan to read it this year, but I don't have the physical book yet, and I think I will go through other doorstoppers I have in my backlog: Infinite Jest, Anna Karenina, and Ulysses. I bought the latter in Spanish years ago, but just recently ordered an English copy from amazon, which I think is the one I will read this year.

At the moment I'm reading
(1) The Adventures of Tom Sawyer — Spanish translation
(2) The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man — English
(3) Der Einzige und sein Eigentum (The Unique and His Property) — Spanish.

I didn't. I ended up reading Ishmael by Daniel Quinn after, followed by some history books. I plan to read it this year, but I don't have the physical book yet, and I think I will go through other doorstoppers I have in my backlog: Infinite Jest, Anna Karenina, and Ulysses. I bought the latter in Spanish years ago, but just recently ordered an English copy from amazon, which I think is the one I will read this year.

At the moment I'm reading
(1) The Adventures of Tom Sawyer — Spanish translation
(2) The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man — English
(3) Der Einzige und sein Eigentum (The Unique and His Property) — Spanish.

Ulysses. That’s ambitious. Definitely not a light read.

Goupil ou Face by Lou Lubie. It is a comic about cyclothymia. I don't know if an English translation exists, it definitely should. I found it very well-done, touching and often funny.

Darkness over Sethanon, the last book in Raymond E. Feist’s excellent Riftwar Saga. Devoured his books as a teen, rereading them is also a pleasure.

I just finished The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. It's a light and lovely read. I loved all the characters, especially Huck. I need to read the adventures of Huck some time soon.

For now, I'll go to finish The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, of which I've read about two thirds.

Currently reading The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy & Mathematics (Little, Brown & co) and Boule de Suif & other stories by Maupassant.

The last two books I read were The Story of the Jews, Finding the Words: 1000BCE - 1492CE by Schama and The Development of the Modern Guitar by Hubert.

Conversations with a Rattlesnake: Raw and Honest Reflections on Healing and Trauma, written by NHL star Theo Fleury and PTSD Occupational Therapist Kim Barthel.

It's an excellent resource for recovery from sexual abuse and exploitation.

The Dynamics of Harmony by G. Pratt.
Currently going over what I already know, but even so there are little tidbits that have escaped my attention heretofore.

I'm midway through Tess of the D'Urbervilles (Thomas Hardy, 1891), for about the fourth time.

Who doesn't love Tess?

Last edited:
I'm midway through Tess of the D'Urbervilles (Thomas Hardy, 1891), for about the fourth time.

Who doesn't love Tess?

Must confess I’ve not got round to Tess yet. I obsessively reread The Well-Beloved multiple times in my teens, but other than The Woodlanders that’s all the Hardy I know. (Seen tv adaptations o/c, but don’t trust their authenticity to the text)

Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals, Immanuel Kant: just read the original preface and section one. I’ll see how that percolates over the next 24hrs. :)

Think I might start Life and Letters in the Roman Frontier by Alan K Bowman when I take my Sunday evening bath... or I may vacillate when it comes to it. ;)

Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals, Immanuel Kant: just read the original preface and section one. I’ll see how that percolates over the next 24hrs. :)

Think I might start Life and Letters in the Roman Frontier by Alan K Bowman when I take my Sunday evening bath... or I may vacillate when it comes to it. ;)

I always struggled with metaphysics and epistemology, especially when it came to Kant. I have never cared for him in general, actually. He’s so boring and stiff. His mother should have told him to go outside and play more often. Ha! I commend you for reading his work, however! Really the only area of philosophy that truly interests me is existentialism, and nihilism in particular.

Who doesn't love Tess?

Cool! I’ve never read that one, but I was obsessed with The Return of the Native when I was younger. I’m going to get Tess!

New Threads

Top Bottom