• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Last Book You Read/Next Book You Want to Read?

There's a quote somewhere found it :

Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth. Camus

Perhaps not applicable to an autistic outlook!

My view is that fiction is an enclosed system and complete 'reality' and it is possible to tell the truth from inside that system.
Outside , reality is messy and,in a way, it is impossible to separate the single from the whole when trying to find meaning. Ie it's too complicated.
So we invent stories to simplify it.

That may make sense or it may be complete tosh
At least with fiction we go into it knowing it's fantasy and made-up, unlike general lying that people do. :/

What's the kindle like? I never got one I wanted one when they were new but I normally get my books used or from the library and being forced to pay full price for a digital copy seems a bit ridiculous. Do they offer good sales or rentals. Not having a twenty pound bag on me would be fab though. The devices are so much cheaper than they used to be. Are they hard to read on? Is it weird not feeling the thickness of the book in your hands, having it change from more pages in one hand to more on the other as you progress through the book?

My first option is always borrowing from a library, but I live in a place where there aren't any. So Kindle is a blessing for me because I can find cheaper and more diverse books than at the local bookstores.

Nice bookcases. I don't have any more, instead, I have the app Goodreads. We've move too much and a while ago I decided I didn't want to continue moving my personal library around the globe.

My first option is always borrowing from a library, but I live in a place where there aren't any. So Kindle is a blessing for me because I can find cheaper and more diverse books than at the local bookstores.
I normally get them from the library or Goodwill, you get get books for 25-50cents at Goodwill on half off day. I have to hold myself back or I end up with too much.

When I was pregnant with my son I went and stocked up at Goodwill, they are the revolving door of baby books, I spent like 7$ and ended up with several bags of books and after I wasn't pregnant I gave most of them back. A few I kept, especially the ones with the baby names in them because I love using them for naming my WoW toons and Sims characters.

Today I finished Pretending You Care: The Retail Employee Handbook by Norm Feuti, and started Growing Up Aspie: Year One by Nathan McConnell (which I HIGHLY recommend).

Remember i read the biography of Elvis in an afternoon then David nivens autobiographies
he's an English actor.
read the twilight saga as i identify with the outsider mindset
Arthur Haileys airport
i read the picture bible as it has pictures a lot of what i get is very mundane not profound

Wish charity shops in the UK were as cheap as goodwill in the us
the government has cut the budget for libraries so about three quarters in my town have been closed permanently Andrew ccarnegie

Would
I normally get them from the library or Goodwill, you get get books for 25-50cents at Goodwill on half off day. I have to hold myself back or I end up with too much.

When I was pregnant with my son I went and stocked up at Goodwill, they are the revolving door of baby books, I spent like 7$ and ended up with several bags of books and after I wasn't pregnant I gave most of them back. A few I kept, especially the ones with the baby names in them because I love using them for naming my WoW toons and Sims characters.
explode in his grave

I 'd like to read of the rabbi small mysteries by harry kemelman, saw a tvm version liked it
get one from amazon when i have spare money ,
cant go into bookshop in town as they treaTed me like a shoplifter
Idk if there are many big readers on here. Reading and taking tests on books for bonus credit was how I passed high school English (absolute worst subject for me, I have zero ability to write).

Since being pregnant now and trying to take my mind off how horrible everything is I've gotten several books from the library. (Fiction)

I read one yesterday and another tonight. The one I grabbed yesterday caught my attention because it had my name on the cover, it was called Blaze by Laurie Boyle Crompton. It was pretty cool and a bit dirty which I was surprised actually seeing it's a teen fiction. But had lots of comic book factoids and funness in it since the main character was a total comic book nerd. Yay and she had my name. :3

The one I read tonight was Nightmare City by Andrew Klavan another teen fiction. Was very interesting and well written about a boy who wrote a story for his school newspaper that completely turned his life upside down. I loved to imigary in was a very good read.

I've been edging towards the teen fiction more because I don't want anything too real since my life is already too real and I'm trying to escape for a few hours.

Who else reads? What have you read last or share a favorite of yours. :3

Whats going vintage ?:romance historical crime science fiction IVE got four books barely read them got Nigel by monty don -its mainly about his male golden retriever (dog) but also his other dogs he is a gardener who presents a tv gardening slot(BBC)
A couple days ago I finished another cute teen novel, "Going Vintage," by Lindsey Leavitt. The cover totally caught my eye and I love old timey stuff from before my time so I really got into it, it was a good read with some twists at the end I totally didn't expect. :*

Now I'm starting a book called Violent Ends by it looks like multiple authors. It's been very interesting, almost like a bunch a short stories based around a central theme. I started it earlier today and have been attached to it very much.

Wish i had that kind of sense of humour
mine is very observational mainly around British /Irish comedians billy connolly or David baddiel

cant go into bookshop in town as they treaTed me like a shoplifter
omg >:
did you tell them they were stupid? I'm sorry, there aren't any bookstores near me anymore, I'd have to go over a half and hour to go to one. :< There used to be some by every mall. :(

Whats going vintage ?
It was another teen novel, it was cute. The girl's boyfriend was cheating on her online and she went on a vintage streak and disowned all technology and everything past when her grandma was her age. I like old-timey stuff so I had to check it out, was a fast read.

Idk if there are many big readers on here. Reading and taking tests on books for bonus credit was how I passed high school English (absolute worst subject for me, I have zero ability to write).

Since being pregnant now and trying to take my mind off how horrible everything is I've gotten several books from the library. (Fiction)

I read one yesterday and another tonight. The one I grabbed yesterday caught my attention because it had my name on the cover, it was called Blaze by Laurie Boyle Crompton. It was pretty cool and a bit dirty which I was surprised actually seeing it's a teen fiction. But had lots of comic book factoids and funness in it since the main character was a total comic book nerd. Yay and she had my name. :3

The one I read tonight was Nightmare City by Andrew Klavan another teen fiction. Was very interesting and well written about a boy who wrote a story for his school newspaper that completely turned his life upside down. I loved to imigary in was a very good read.

I've been edging towards the teen fiction more because I don't want anything too real since my life is already too real and I'm trying to escape for a few hours.

Who else reads? What have you read last or share a favorite of yours. :3
They never said anything to my face but i saw the looks and murmurings I'm hypervigilant so i just left its closed now

New Threads

Top Bottom