• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The *injury* thread

C

Chris

I guess this thread is childish in a few respects, but out of sheer curiosity, what is the worst injury you have sustained in your lifetime? Lol.

For me, it'd have to be when i tore the muscles in my left shoulder.

I used to go to the gym a lot (4+ times per week), I might have been slightly obsessed, but one of the exercises in one of my routines was bench press. At peak (one rep max), i could bench 85kg (Pretty good considering i only weighed 64kg at the time). One evening after work with a friend, i was at the gym working through my routine, until my second set of bench presses, when half way through the set on the way back up to complete the repetition, it felt like a warm knife sliced through my left shoulder and it collapsed. It was absolutely excruciating. I shouted and my friend that was spotting me tried to lift the bar off me but it was too heavy for him, so i was lying there trying to lift the f**king thing off myself with a busted shoulder. Not fun. I got the right side back up by myself, then another guy finally came over to help with the other side. The extra time the weight was on my shoulder did a lot of damage. I suffered from shock for about 15 minutes (i suffer from shock fairly often :/ ), i went a ghostly white and i can't remember well, but i think i went unconscious for a few seconds right after it was over.

After a trip to A&E they said it was just muscle damage in my chest and shoulder and I was told i'd be back to normal after about two months... Two months later, it's nowhere near better, so i go back to my GP and he arranges some physiotherapy sessions for me. I attended these for 2 months~ with no result, it didn't help at all. The only thing i gained from that is the physiotherapist suspecting there is infact tendon damage rather than muscle damage, which takes considerably longer to heal due to the lack of blood that goes to tendons in comparrison to muscles. So here I am, 7 months down the line and it's still a great discomfort. I started swimming again recently and that seems to be helping it though, so i'll keep that up for the time being. :)

Lets hear your stories then. :p

I don't really have a major injury, but I have something called ligamentous laxity, or my joints dislocate(partially)easily. Its not contorsionist loose, but enough to hurt alot. It barely takes any pressure to dislocate my left shoulder, which was scary when I was in a weight lifting class. It makes any serious exercise difficult, and scary when I hear that POP and the joint goes in and out. But luckily no major damage, just scary and sometimes hurts.

Wow, that sounds pretty horrific. Can you pop any joints that you dislocate back in, or do you need medical assisstance?

I broke my arm when I was 5 because I came off my bike riding down a hill. I also 'killed' my two front teeth at the same time and had to have them removed. I don't know if it counts, but when I was 3 I was in hospital because I had a major asthma attack and couldn't breathe hardly at all, not even enough to talk. Erm...I dislocated my knee at junior school because some kids tripped me up with a skipping rope, aaaand I fractured my elbow a couple of years ago because I fell off a skateboard (I never got back on one, I just don't have the balance to take up skating!)

The worst was probably on the push scooter I used to use. I fell off it quite a few times and it's result in there being loads of blood o_O. One was so bad the yellow stuff(I think it's fat or something, LOL) was exposed...
I have so many scars on my knee caps(it was _always_ the kneecaps) from the damn thing xD.
EMZ=]

I don't really have a major injury, but I have something called ligamentous laxity, or my joints dislocate(partially)easily.

I had something like that with my shoulders when I was younger. I could reach around the back of my head with my right arm, under my chin, and touch the top of my right ear. Most people struggle just to reach their chin. Seemed cool at the time, but it seems to make my shoulders really prone to injury, and prone to pop out of joint when I don't want them to. I've had to stop lifting weights as of the past week or 2, my right shoulder has basically grown sorer and stiffer over the past 3 months. Now I'm just working on getting back range of motion using a broomstick, and will start swimming soon.

Chris, having someone spot you who can't lift the weight kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Chris, having someone spot you who can't lift the weight kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
Well, considering I would have probably let it fall on my neck if he wasn't there, i'd say the purpose wasn't defeated. No spotters that spot bench press will be able to barbell curl the weight on the bench, unless they are considerably bigger than the person benching really; they're just there to assist.

Well, considering I would have probably let it fall on my neck if he wasn't there, i'd say the purpose wasn't defeated. No spotters that spot bench press will be able to barbell curl the weight on the bench, unless they are considerably bigger than the person benching really; they're just there to assist.
The idea is that they should be able to support the weight while you slide out from underneath it. These days I only do light weights on the bench, about 80kg, for sets of about 6 or 8, and I don't go to failure. And I don't use a spotter at all, so I'm not in a position to lecture you on using one. If I want to go to failure I will use dumbells (easier to drop). I'm not super strong these days, considering that I'm more than twice as big as you I'm actually pretty weak.

Well yeah, i understand the role of a spotter. I was doing pretty well in terms of how much i could lift in relation to my weight, but I'm not able to return to the gym yet, shoulder still hurts. :( Really sucks.

No, they go back into place themselves. My left shoulder is the only one that really goes out and the rest only partially dislocate, stretch farther than they would normally. It not that major, just enough to be a momentary scare, but I do have to pay attention during exercise just in case.

I've never broken any bones...well, with the possible exception of a stress fracture in my left foot. I did something to my left foot while I was walking around Japan. It eventually swelled up a bit. After looking on the 'net, I found that I may have broken something. The closest I could find was a stress fracture, so I'm going with that. The strange thing is, I don't know how I did it.

Oh yeah, I forgot, I got hit by a car once. LOL.
I was cycling and I just got hit by a car. I wasn't wearing a helmet neither o_O.
I got some internal bruising and couldn't do much for a couple of weeks. I got out of PE for like 2 months though(I hated PE when I was 11[when it happened] so I saw the car crash as a good thing, LOL).
The car wasn't that damaged afaik. The person in the car was really nice too :D.
EMZ=]

I was doing pretty well in terms of how much i could lift in relation to my weight

Yeah, I wish I could bench my body weight + 30% - that way I'd be benching 160. Best I've done is about 95% of my bodyweight, back when I weighed a lot less. When I was about 20 I was in my boss's car when he got a flat tyre. He started swearing, turned out he didn't have a jack. I told him no problem, it was only a small car and I'd just lift up the side of it while he changed the tyre. Probably couldn't have done it though if it was a front tyre.

Discounting self-inflicted injuries, the worst I guess would be a collapsed lung when I was 14. Probably caused by weight training, although fortunately it didn't happen during a taining session. The thing just popped one morning while I was brushing my teeth! Turned out I had inherited weak lungs from my dad. Had to have a chest drain fitted and got almost a month off school, so bonus! :D Had a few other repeat lung pops since, but never as bad as the first one.

You get hit a lot when you do Karate,lots of black eyes and various bumps and bruises, been knocked unconscious,

deep bone bruises are very dibilatating.

One guy did a job on my left ankle once and it was several years before it healed completely.

Broken ribs hurt for weeks,I'm older now and I don't go full contact anymore and i wear

a lot more protective gear when I fight.

Broken pelvis from being crushed between a quad bike and a wall, 2 weeks in hospital, I've got a couple of metal pins in their now holding me together.

You get hit a lot when you do Karate,lots of black eyes and various bumps and bruises, been knocked unconscious,

deep bone bruises are very dibilatating.

One guy did a job on my left ankle once and it was several years before it healed completely.

Broken ribs hurt for weeks,I'm older now and I don't go full contact anymore and i wear

a lot more protective gear when I fight.

I've had cracked ribs from Tae Kwon Do! Since then I'll only spar with other women.

New Threads

Top Bottom