• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Horror Genre

Creepi

Personally, I have a big obsession with the horror genre and the backstories of the antagonists. I often engage in watching movies, playing games, reading articles, stalking Wikis and reading books of the horror genre.

I'm interested to know if anyone else also finds the horror genre interesting. What about it do you like and which particular horror pieces do you value the most?

*Just to be clear, I am not referring to death specifically here, rather the spooky atmosphere that the genre entails.*

Personally, I have a big obsession with the horror genre and the backstories of the antagonists. I often engage in watching movies, playing games, reading articles, stalking Wikis and reading books of the horror genre.

I'm interested to know if anyone else also finds the horror genre interesting. What about it do you like and which particular horror pieces do you value the most?

*Just to be clear, I am not referring to death specifically here, rather the spooky atmosphere that the genre entails.*
I find the horror genre interesting i have watched alot of horror movies and i have read a few horror books. I like the story lines of horror pieces and Stephen King Is The King Of Horror :)

I haven't read many books that would be considered horror books, maybe more thriller. But I love horror movies, I can't get enough of them. I always find the villain interesting, and always think why did they become the way they did.

I love Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni a horrorish anime. Scream,Halloween,Nightmare On Elm Street,Child's Play (Not Seed and Bride),Gothika,Insanitarium,Insidious,etc.

Funny about your username, a nickname that my family calls me is Creepy. Kind of similar except your username is different spelling.

Horror is a bit of a mixed bag for me.

I'm not a huge fan of horror films, some I can watch and like, others I refuse to because I don't like the feeling of being scared.

I read mostly horror books though and love them.

Depends on the sub-categories. The paranormal, xenomorphs and monsters... I love 'em. Can't get enough of them. Big "Walking Dead" fan here too. :cool:

Teen slasher films, I find boring. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've always like the spooky atmosphere thing. I like Tim Burton's movies which kind of have that element. But I don't believe in ghosts or anything like that, I like to watch those ghost hunter type shows and would absolutely LOVE to be part of one. I could spend all night anywhere and not feel a thing, it would just be so cool and interesting.

I find the horror genre interesting i have watched alot of horror movies and i have read a few horror books. I like the story lines of horror pieces and Stephen King Is The King Of Horror :)

Oh yeah, I love Stephen King. I'm reading It right now, actually.

I haven't read many books that would be considered horror books, maybe more thriller. But I love horror movies, I can't get enough of them. I always find the villain interesting, and always think why did they become the way they did.

I love Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni a horrorish anime. Scream,Halloween,Nightmare On Elm Street,Child's Play (Not Seed and Bride),Gothika,Insanitarium,Insidious,etc.

Funny about your username, a nickname that my family calls me is Creepy. Kind of similar except your username is different spelling.

If you're into horror anime, I'd recommend the Corpse Party series. It's not too gory, but it has a very creepy storyline.

Yeah, my username was based of people calling me "Creepy" too :)

I enjoy movies and books in the horror genre, I find them very fascinating.

Definitely, the very inhumanity of horror is intriguing.

Horror is a bit of a mixed bag for me.

I'm not a huge fan of horror films, some I can watch and like, others I refuse to because I don't like the feeling of being scared.

I read mostly horror books though and love them.

I used to get super scared, too. Now I'm a little more used to the feeling.

Depends on the sub-categories. The paranormal, xenomorphs and monsters... I love 'em. Can't get enough of them. :cool:

Teen slasher films, I find boring. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I'm quite a fan of the paranormal, too.

I've always like the spooky atmosphere thing. I like Tim Burton's movies which kind of have that element. But I don't believe in ghosts or anything like that, I like to watch those ghost hunter type shows and would absolutely LOVE to be part of one. I could spend all night anywhere and not feel a thing, it would just be so cool and interesting.

I agree, Tim Burton's great. Though I would probably freak in one of those paranormal shows.

I like some types of horror, such as supernatural/paranormal (although I found the movie Paranormal Activity to be pretty boring) and psychological thrillers, but I don't care for most slasher films (with the exception of the Scream movies and I know what you did last summer- I was a young teen during those movies in their prime and idolized some of those actors as well, lol). Not generally a big fan of vampire/zombie movies either but I did really like the re-make of Dawn of the Dead, probably because I found it to be more like a comedy than a horror movie.

I used to LOVE horror films. I was 4 years old when I started watching them with my much older brother and sister. It was the mainstream typical movies at the time: Pet Semetary, IT, The Dentist (I think it was called that?), The Shining, etc.

Then something happened in my brain. Around age 16 or so, I became too sensitive to them. It's like I went from an underwhelming sensitivity to them to an overwhelming empathy for the characters. I cry and shake when I see something disturbing and though I still like the idea of horror movies, I've banned myself. I feel like I can feel the pain and I can't get the image out of my head.

I do, however, still enjoy a good ghost story. Nothing gory. I like atmospheric and spooky stories. It scares me, but I can't tear myself from the subject.

---------------------------------------------------------
same i also love horror stuff but not death itself or stuff too gory or bloody, I prefer stuff of the spooky element as well and thats why i love games like FNAF or bendy and the ink machine or tattletail ect. and even some other horror too and i always was attracted to spooky elements.

Oh, definitely!

I mostly prefer horror stories that deal with the mundane dangers compared to cosmic entities. Things like kidnapping and dysfunctional families and peril brought on by other humans. But I do enjoy the monster stories.

I don't like movies about blood and guts and killing. I like the paranormal ones. My wife at the time used to always see what new ones showed up at the video store. I still enjoy them. The Shining, The Ring, Blair Witch, the original 70s Amityville, Case 39, Silent Hill, The Eye, The Hills Have Eyes, Dead End, Beneath, The Return, Haunting in Georgia... That's just a start.

The one that scared me most was The Ring. No not Samara. But the imagery on that videotape was so disturbing that it actually scared me to the bone all night. No other movie has done that.

My daughter has been watching them since she was about 11. All I had to do was tell her that no matter what you see, it's not real. Now she loves them. I took her to see Rings (Ring 3) in the theater.

If I was ever lucky enough to have a weekday off work, I'd watch a marathon of Tales From The Darkside.

Whoa. It looks like I may be the first person in this thread who enjoys watching '70s and '80s horror movies for all of their practical special effects when it comes to grisly violence and gore. When I know it's faked, I can be all for it, and I especially love it when the extras on the BluRay include some insight into how the special effects were pulled off. It's childish, I know.

Whoa. It looks like I may be the first person in this thread who enjoys watching '70s and '80s horror movies for all of their practical special effects when it comes to grisly violence and gore. When I know it's faked, I can be all for it, and I especially love it when the extras on the BluRay include some insight into how the special effects were pulled off. It's childish, I know.

Did you like the 2013 Evil Dead remake? (I ask as the majority of their special effects were practical rather than CGI).

Did you like the 2013 Evil Dead remake? (I ask as the majority of their special effects were practical rather than CGI).

Yep, although I really wish there was more of a market for NC-17 rated horror and that studios did not feel compelled to cut out some great fx work to obtain an R rating.

You’re not alone. I love old horror. George Romero and Tom Savini are a few of my heroes for their work in special effects. I remember seeing From Dusk Till Dawn (not a real oldie, but a great homage) as a teen, I was exhilarated.

New Threads

Top Bottom