• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Flow of Momentum

SimonSays

Van Dweller
V.I.P Member
I really benefit from the flow of momentum. In other words, if I've read an interesting post or someone sends me an unexpected personal message, what I want to do is flow with the momentum. So if I want to say something, I will want to do so as soon as possible, if not there and then. If I can't do it there and then, I'll often make a brief recording, get my thoughts out in the present, so I don't have to hold onto them, and the natural flow is maintained.

The longer I take to get to it, the harder it is to connect with the original energy when the idea first inspired. It feels like it's no longer present in the way I need it to be. I prefer to deal with what’s been said in this moment because it is in this moment that I am most connected to it.

I get to choose what I want to work on the most. Something fresh, something inspiring, something relevant, that makes me feel like there's something to say, and that becomes my focus, what matters, all there is. When I'm writing like that, time passes really quickly.

Not everyone is in a position where they can always give the time they want to something that interests them. They often have to deal with being distracted by life and those around them, sometimes just when they're about to get into it. Because of the way I live, I can make a spontaneous decision to ‘get into it’ without having to take into account people's expectations. Some of my best writing comes out of the flow of momentum.

Same here. I have little written notes to at least get the idea down, but if I don't record the full thought my mind wanders off or gets distracted by life around me which is 95% of the time. The original thought is always perfection in it's clarity but then fades and gets muddled when I try to recapture it later. I equate it to a child getting older and losing originality, innocence, and awe in order to become a functional member of society.

Right now we have our phones as a extension of our brains, but I often wonder in the future if it'll get replaced by some microchip embedded in our brains to record and communicate everything we experience and think about.

I'm a bit different, in that, I tend to put a lot of thought into the way I wish to respond. At times, I might respond, spontaneously, however, in those cases, I, generally, wind up, rewriting my responses. Sometimes, obsessively. Somewhat, as you had expressed you do, within Butterfly's post regarding re-reading the same things, but, not for the same reasons, necessarily.

The original thought is always perfection in it's clarity but then fades and gets muddled when I try to recapture it later. I equate it to a child getting older and losing originality, innocence, and awe in order to become a functional member of society.
That's a good way of putting it.

Right now we have our phones as a extension of our brains, but I often wonder in the future if it'll get replaced by some microchip embedded in our brains to record and communicate everything we experience and think about.
Almost certainly. Elon musk is currently developing Neurolink for just that kind of experience.

At times, I might respond, spontaneously, however, in those cases, I, generally, wind up, rewriting my responses. Sometimes, obsessively.
It's almost like the obsessive aspect to it is about staying in the moment, until such time as it feels like you've said what you wanted to say. Because of the need to rewrite, it can take some time before that feeling is reached, and so the obsessive part attempts to ensure that happens before distraction interferes.

I dunno much about momentum in terms of communication, but generally once I start typing a response I dont stop until it's done, and I'll only respond immediately after reading, and wont just do it later unless there's bloody good reason to wait until much later (because I will usually forget). Fortunately it takes hardly any time for me to type things up, so... that's good I guess.

Uh...

Yeah that's my entire contribution here, I cant think of much else to say for this one.

One difference between humans and the rest of the planet is flow, humans generally resist or even stagnate, everything else flows or bends to stimuli. Living with more flow is without a doubt a key to peace. How much time do we spend resisting, the external and more importantly as self concious humans, the internal.

I think the amount of flow is equal to momentum, for example you feel lots of momentum then you are more in the flow.

I don't want a microchip to record and communicate everything I think about and I don't want to be open to others random thoughts either.
I edit my posts because my expression does not always jive with the nebulous concepts I want to say. It is only through trying to express and organize my ideas that I come close to the intended thought I want to share. Plus, sometimes my thoughts aren't so nice. :confused:
But it would be very handy to not have to type anything. :)

But it would be very handy to not have to type anything.
That's my usual way these days. I do speech to text (or sometimes I take a recording and let the software transcribe it) then I edit it. So much easier. The flow of momentum works best if I'm speaking naturally rather than typing.

What's interesting is...if I listen to the recording, it sounds absolutely fine and no editing is required. Whereas once I transcribe it, and start to read it, I realise I need to edit quite a bit. o_O

Regarding momentum, yes interuptions are a problem for me. I look my train of thought if I am interupted in a discussion or argument. I feel off kilter if someone interupts my work when I am cooking or doing chores. And art...I used to love to draw and paint but I need hours to do so because, once interupted I can't seem to go back.

Regarding momentum, yes interuptions are a problem for me. I look my train of thought if I am interupted in a discussion or argument. I feel off kilter if someone interupts my work when I am cooking or doing chores. And art...I used to love to draw and paint but I need hours to do so because, once interupted I can't seem to go back.
Sounds like you're somebody who gets into the zone, and does their best work there. If you're interrupted and knocked out of it, you can't easily get back. Getting into the zone, for me, is one of the most positive aspects of flowing with the momentum.

That's my usual way these days. I do speech to text (or sometimes I take a recording and let the software transcribe it) then I edit it. So much easier. The flow of momentum works best if I'm speaking naturally rather than typing.

I must try this!

I do like to get into the flow and just write. I flow best after meditation or spending time in nature, when I'm fully present.

DFD9528D-AE5E-498E-959E-7C4C2A15A617.jpeg

What's interesting is...if I listen to the recording, it sounds absolutely fine and no editing is required. Whereas once I transcribe it, and start to read it, I realise I need to edit quite a bit. o_O

I can never say the words that come into my thoughts unless the thought originates when I am already speaking. When I do try to record my thoughts I can not recognize my own voice when I play the recording back. It is so disturbing I have to shut it off.
I don't think it is someone else, I know the words are mine. It just does not sound like me when I speak.

I can never say the words that come into my thoughts unless the thought originates when I am already speaking.
That makes sense. That's how I do it. I never know what I'm going to say. I only have an idea of where I want to start from. Then I just let it flow. Pausing if necessary. There's nobody else there but me.
I do try to record my thoughts I can not recognize my own voice when I play the recording back. It is so disturbing I have to shut it off.
I remember when I was younger, finding it strange to hear what I sounded like. Whereas now it just sounds like me, although there are times when I hear a different sound in my voice, but it's still just me, it's just how I sound in that moment.

It is interesting that you don't recognise your voice. I wonder if you could overcome that by focusing on what's being said rather than listening to who is saying it.

Most times after I've made a recording, I have little memory of what was said, and when I listen back, I am now the listener not the one who made the recording, and I listen as if there is something I need to hear, and many times I hear something I do not remember having said at all. It is as if I am listening to somebody else.

So even though you don't recognise your voice, I'm wondering if you could conduct an experiment and just listen to what's being said regardless of who it sounds like and see if that stops you from being disturbed by it.

Last edited:
So even though you don't recognise your voice, I'm wondering if you could conduct an experiment and just listen to what's being said regardless of who it sounds like and see if that stops you from being disturbed by it.

So far, no. I suppose if I used a lot if repetition, in time I might get used to it. But another barrier is privacy. My husband and I live on a boat so he can hear me everywhere I am.
And though my husband is great, I do not want to expose him to all my thoughts. I don't even want him to read my posts here, although I don't hide my participation.
I don't even use voice comands with my phone.

But another barrier is privacy. My husband and I live on a boat so he can hear me everywhere I am.
And though my husband is great, I do not want to expose him to all my thoughts.
Completely understandable. I need to feel alone when I'm recording. I often go to the nearby nature reserve where I can be alone, except for the birds and insects. I don't mind them listening.

I carry the momentum around in my head, sometimes for days. It starts with some core element, and from that - many possibilities/paths open up. I start writing a bit with each of those, in my head, looking for that special something that draws me in and will not let me go until I have found its proper expression.

Even then, I will have the urge to re-read and fiddle, never fully satisfied that I have actually found all the right words and put them in the correct order.

That is always an interesting exercise, for I have a tendency to overwrite and perseverate, which I am never aware of as I write in the moment. It is only after the fact, with some objective observation to help, that I can pare, consolidate, and rewrite those sections that can realize a better alignment to what has come before and after.

I am not sure that what goes on in my head is anything like what you describe, but I was compelled to add my one-and-a-half cents.

I'm very in-tune with the momentum around me. As someone who's very energy sensitive, if I don't do something when I was going to do it, I feel dizzier. It will almost like there's a sort of shift in the momentum. Somehow I can actually slightly tell because my vision will get blurry for a few seconds and my ears will ring if it's that large of one. Sometimes if I don't do something quickly enough that I got a spontaneous idea of then I won't do it at all.

If I can't do something at the exact moment I want to and it's something I really feel like I need to do, I will feel an extreme urge to. Then I won't be able to not think about whatever it is until I'm doing it like typing a certain post I forgot or reading some. Also I agree with the writing part heavily, I remember back when I could attend school I would write essays in a hurry while being attuned to a certain type of energy to see how much I could get done. They would turn out so well I would barely need to edit them and I would still get a good grade.

New Threads

Top Bottom