• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Five Types of Aspergers

Rasputin

ASD / Aspie
V.I.P Member
Since being diagnosed ASD1 less than a month ago, I have been on this discovery quest to learn as much as possible about myself. While at times I have been in denial, there is no longer any doubt regarding my status.

In my reading, I came across the following discussion, and thought it was worth sharing. I think I am mostly the "Methodical" Aspie type, mixed with a little of the "Studious" type.

The Five Types Of Asperger’s

What type are you?

Last edited:
From the looks of all five descriptions, I'd say I'm a little of them all. Though perhaps being "methodical" more than other types.

I think my favorite line by the author of the blog entry from which the list is taken is
"Here’s a totally unscientific set of types based on aspies I’ve known..."

"Impulsive (aka Party Crasher)

These aspies are run by their ids. They’re the most high-energy and the most likely to blurt out rude remarks. Most prone to repetitive behaviors. Also more likely to show their feelings than other types. Prone to addictions from Internet browsing to heroin. They usually have more social awareness than they’re given credit for. They can even be charismatic for short periods of time, which makes sense because they’re generally the most social. But they’re the hardest aspies to spend extended periods of time with. They used to let their inner monologue run wild when they were younger, driving people away. They may or may not have learned better. Most have developed some pride in their inadvertent “tell it like it is” attitude, which is appreciated by certain people. Misdiagnoses include ADHD, bipolar disorder, & borderline.

Methodical (aka Patrick Bateman)

These aspies study the social world long and hard. They’re generally pretty touchy, having very specific ideas about what’s good and what isn’t. The most outwardly adept of the bunch, they can hold jobs and sustain friendships longer than other types. High IQs. High intensity. Repetitive behaviors. Wry conversationalists. Like to control their environment. Their sperg finally shows when you notice the studied aspect of their interactions. Plus their obsessive special interests, which they’re among the most likely to have. May be misdiagnosed with OCD or a personality disorder. I think these aspies are mostly men.

Sluggish (aka Stealth)

The low-energy type. They have the most sensory problems, but those sensory sensitivities can also bring them plenty of joy. They might have a better sense of smell, taste, and touch than most people. They get overwhelmed the most easily and it takes them the longest to recharge after any possible exertion. They generally don’t talk much. They have trouble articulating their thoughts to words. They have trouble with employment too. But to make up for all that they often have the most situational awareness of all types. They might even be street smart. That astuteness takes them ten times more energy than it takes everyone else, which is one reason they’re so tired. They might be misdiagnosed with ADD, hearing problems, schizophrenia, or a less intelligent form of autism.

Studious (aka Wedgie)

The prototypical Asperger. These people are usually smart, well-read, and mild-mannered. They’re the most noticeably intelligent of all types and they have the least awareness. They get taken advantage of easily. But they’re more adaptable than other types. Likely to work in tech. But they may also be found in teaching or helping professions. They have patience, discipline, and a drive towards mastery. Usually loyal to a fault. They were made fun of when they were younger, but now people like having them around. They make friends through either special interests or sheer wholesomeness. May have a good sense of humor. Common misdiagnoses include ADHD, OCD, and major depression.

Masked (aka Good Actress)

The least obvious aspies. They don’t have blunt tells like repetitive behaviors or big mouths, at least not in front of other people. It surprises people when these aspies slip up. Generally the most empathetic type, they have decently developed theory of mind skills but might also be gullible at unfortunate times. People get protective of them without knowing why. They’re popular by aspie standards, because they’ve learned how to be good conversationalists and good listeners. Chances are they were either diagnosed late or so early that they’ve gotten every kind of help possible. They might be misdiagnosed with ADHD, OCD, eating disorders, or major depression. I think these are mostly women."

from The Five Types Of Asperger’s

From the looks of all five descriptions, I'd say I'm a little of them all. Though perhaps being "methodical" more than other types.

I tend to agree with the author. There is a lot of confusion about what it means to be diagnosed ASD1. I was recently deemed uninsurable for long-term care insurance, despite being generally healthier than most neurotypicals.

And the crazy thing is that if you are diligent in seeking medical care and getting your medical issues resolved, you are punished for going to the doctor on the first place and for having a documented medical history.

Last edited:
Definitely "impulsive" for me, no doubt. Though I usually use the word "chaotic" instead, particularly considering what a room looks like after I've been in it for awhile.

Tend to just do whatever, whenever I happen to feel like it. Unless I dont, who knows? As a bonus I also offer a fountain of sarcasm, free of charge.

And the crazy thing is that if you are diligent in seeking medical care and getting your medical issues resolved, you are punished for going to the doctor on the first place and for having a documented medical history.

Indeed, I've heard that one before....;)

Definitely "impulsive" for me, no doubt. Though I usually use the word "chaotic" instead, particularly considering what a room looks like after I've been in it for awhile.

Tend to just do whatever, whenever I happen to feel like it. Unless I dont, who knows? As a bonus I also offer a fountain of sarcasm, free of charge.

I can come across as rude, by being brutally honest. What confuses me is why people in positions of authority often ask for feedback, but then want to punish people for speaking the truth. I am more calculating and deliberate than impulsive, but it takes all types.

For all those categories, the article reads like a horoscope entry to me... as in vague enough to where one could think any one of those categories fits.

The emotive part of me found the article interesting and warmed to certain aspects of it. The logical side of me reiterates the notion that life isn't as simple as taking 1 path, or having 1 personality type.

Ed

It's a good idea but these aren't really ringing true for me as Aspie types. They are more like 5 different people who each have Aspergers. I am all and none of them.

It's a good idea but these aren't really ringing true for me as Aspie types. They are more like 5 different people who each have Aspergers. I am all and none of them.

The blogger who made the list of types said that she based her
descriptions on people she knew. Not that she was putting forth
a scientifically derived postulate.

A mish-mash of several:

Methodical: These aspies study the social world long and hard. They’re generally pretty touchy, having very specific ideas about what’s good and what isn’t. The most outwardly adept of the bunch, they can hold jobs and sustain friendships longer than other types. High IQs. High intensity.
Studious: they’re more adaptable than other types. Usually loyal to a fault.
Masked: Generally the most empathetic type, they have decently developed theory of mind skills but might also be gullible at unfortunate times. They’re popular by aspie standards, because they’ve learned how to be good conversationalists and good listeners.

The blogger who made the list of types said that she based her
descriptions on people she knew. Not that she was putting forth
a scientifically derived postulate.

Yes she said, here's a totally unscientific set of types, based on Aspies I have known. Which I guess is why they don't function too well, as they would need to be based on larger numbers, and identified more rigorously.

I can come across as rude, by being brutally honest. What confuses me is why people in positions of authority often ask for feedback, but then want to punish people for speaking the truth. I am more calculating and deliberate than impulsive, but it takes all types.

I can answer that.

They're not actually looking for feedback. They're looking for validation. Instead of wanting to hear IF they are correct or not, they want to hear just how very correct and good they are. That way, they can feel good about themselves.

It's a particularly annoying part of most people's psychology. I've always just ignored it. If someone I know just did something stupid, I'm going to inform them that it's stupid, make it REALLY sarcastic, and then, I dunno, throw a box of crackers across the room (again, chaotic). Anyone who cant deal with that probably shouldnt come near me.

I think I was impulsive up until near the end of my 20's. Now I'm just sluggish. I'm so sluggish it's a wonder I don't leave slime trails trails everywhere I go now. A real Flabby the Hut.

I can answer that.

They're not actually looking for feedback. They're looking for validation. Instead of wanting to hear IF they are correct or not, they want to hear just how very correct and good they are. That way, they can feel good about themselves.

It's a particularly annoying part of most people's psychology. I've always just ignored it. If someone I know just did something stupid, I'm going to inform them that it's stupid, make it REALLY sarcastic, and then, I dunno, throw a box of crackers across the room (again, chaotic). Anyone who cant deal with that probably shouldnt come near me.

I am a little like you @Misery, except for throwing crackers. That was a joke.

Last edited:
I think I was impulsive up until near the end of my 20's. Now I'm just sluggish. I'm so sluggish it's a wonder I don't leave slime trails trails everywhere I go now. A real Flabby the Hut.

Think you have some comedic skills, have you thought about doing standup comedy, l like your *take* on things.

New Threads

Top Bottom