• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The first USA automobile race

Nitro

Admin/Immoral Turpitude
Staff member
Admin
V.I.P Member
Today marks the 126th anniversary of the first automotive race held in the USA.
Of course it was held on the streets, because closed race courses weren't established yet.
Here is the story of that day as it ushered in yet another advancement in transportation.
AUTOMOTIVE HISTORY – NOVEMBER 27, 1895 – AMERICA’S FIRST AUTOMOBILE RACE

Henry Ford receives most of the credit for the development of the car in the US , however, he did not produce the first American automobile. This distinction goes to the Duryea brothers - Charles and Frank - who created their first gasoline-powered "horseless-carriage" in 1893. Like the Wright brothers, the Duryeas were bicycle mechanics with a passion for innovation.

The brothers built their first car in a workshop located in a building in downtown Springfield, MA. Their new invention was rolled onto the city streets for testing in September 1893. It sported a one-cylinder, gasoline engine and a three-speed transmission mounted on a used horse carriage. It could achieve a top speed of 7.5 mph.

The following year, Frank developed a second car with a more powerful two-cylinder engine. It was this car that he drove in America's first automobile race on Thanksgiving Day, November 27, 1895. The race was sponsored by the Chicago Times-Herald and ran a 54-mile course from down-town Chicago to Evanston, Il and back.

There were five entrants in addition to Duryea: 2 electric cars and 3 gasoline-powered Benz machines imported from Germany. The race started in the early morning in snowy conditions. A little over 10 hours later, Frank Duryea was the first to cross the finish line having survived a journey punctured by numerous breakdowns and repairs. He had averaged 7.3 miles per hour and took home a prize of $2,000 ($49,500 in today's money).

"I now started with draughtsmen on plans for a new car, of which I had, from time to time, been making rough sketches during the past summer. But my work was interrupted by the necessity of preparing the old car for the race promoted by H. H. Kohlsaat of the Chicago Times-Herald. This race was set for November 2, and as driver, the Company sent me out to Chicago with the car on that date. Only the Mueller Benz and the Duryea cars were ready to start, so the race was postponed to Thanksgiving Day, November 28, 1895...

Thanksgiving Day, when it arrived, found me again in Chicago with the car...

A heavy snow had fallen during the night and we experienced hard going as we drove out to Jackson Park from our quarters on Sixteenth Street.

Of nearly a hundred entries, only six cars lined up for the start. Of these six, two were electric vehicles entered by Morris and Salom of Philadelphia, and Sturgis of Chicago. Of the four gasoline-engined vehicles, H. Mueller & Go. of Decatur, Illinois, R. H. Macy & Co. of New York, and The De la Vergne Refrigerating Machine Co. of New York, each came to the start with an imported German Benz. The Duryea Motor Wagon Company's entry was the only American-made gasoline car to start.

The word ‘go’ was given at 8:55 and the Duryea was the first car away.

With me as umpire was Mr. Arthur W. White. The machine made good going of the soft unpacked snow in Jackson Park, but when we came to the busier part of the city, the street surface consisted of ruts and ice hummocks, in which the car slewed badly from side to side.

While still in the lead, the left front wheel struck a bad rut at such an angle that the steering arm was broken off. This arm had been threaded and screwed firmly to a shoulder, and it was a problem to extract the broken-off threaded part of the arm. When this was finally accomplished, we, fortunately, located a blacksmith shop where we forged down, threaded and replaced the arm.

While thus delayed, the Macy Benz passed us and held the lead as far as Evanston, where we regained it.

Having made the turn at Evanston, elated at being in the lead again, we started on the home trip.

We had not yet come to Humboldt Park when one of the two cylinders ceased firing...

This repair was completed in fifty-five minutes and we got going, feeling that the Macy Benz must surely be ahead of us, but learned later that the Macy did not get that far. Breaking the way through the snow in Humboldt and Garfield Parks furnished heavy work for the motor, but also indicated that all competitors were behind us.

After a stop for gasoline, and a four-minute wait for a passing train at a railroad crossing, we continued on to the finish in Jackson Park, arriving at 7:18 P.M.

The motor had at all times shown ample power, and at no time were we compelled to get out and push.

After receiving congratulations from the small group still remaining at the finish line, among whom were the Duryea Motor Wagon Company party, I turned the car and drove back to its quarters on Sixteenth Street.

The Mueller Benz, the only other machine to finish, was driven across the line at 8:53 by the umpire, Mr. Charles B. King, Mr. Mueller having collapsed from fatigue."

Last edited:
Fascinating history. One of my favorite museums is the Henry Ford Museum in Detroit. The last time I was there, they had suspended every part of a model T on wires from the ceiling. You could see each separate part (and there weren't many compared with modern cars) and get an understanding of how the car was assembled. Ultra cool place.

Great story of the technology of that era. Though I can understand the disparity between the number of entrants and the actual number of persons who chose to race that day. Not many creature comforts driving in bad weather in those times, let alone for a serious race ! But hey, at least no one got saddle-sore.

Reminded me of another race some 13 years later. With the winner being the lone American entry, the Thomas Flyer which won a somewhat longer race in 1908.

New York to Paris
- with only six entrants competing.

No joke. Here's a picture of the car as it presently rests in our National Automobile Museum in Reno, Nevada.

MPF_0139.jpg

1908 New York to Paris Race - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Ol1SiX (1).gif

There was another 2 cylinder entry but he had to stop when his pistons developed blisters.

;)

Fascinating trivia.

My ex has a new girlfriend- it's SUV Mercedes. Men continue to be under the car spell.

Nice story, @Nitro.

A non-race story: My brothers drove some sort of jalopie (model A ?) 180 miles to Yosemite from the Bay Area & then back, to go on a backpack. This was before I was born. The vehicle had no key or locks on the doors. So with teenager optimism, they parked it in the trailhead lot and left. They came back after their 4 day hike, & it was still there ha. My oldest brother still has the truck.

Nice story, @Nitro.

A non-race story: My brothers drove some sort of jalopie (model A ?) 180 miles to Yosemite from the Bay Area & then back, to go on a backpack. This was before I was born. The vehicle had no key or locks on the doors. So with teenager optimism, they parked it in the trailhead lot and left. They came back after their 4 day hike, & it was still there ha. My oldest brother still has the truck.

Just Wow! The crazy confidence of youth, not to mention how long that vehicle has lasted. They don't make'em like that anymore. ;D

For those that don't know a lot about me other than being that guy on staff here that is either hated or loved, this kind of story takes me back to my past and my first taste of performance as a kid.

I had quite a storied "career" in streetracing, my first true streetmachine being this Hugger orange 1969 SS 396 4 speed 4.10 posi El Camino bought new at the now world famous Yenko Chevrolet that was located in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania.

Last summer, I was reunited with that old Camino 43 years after I had last driven it as a teenager:
20210619_152553.jpg

Located about 30 miles from my present home, the old dealership building where the Yenko Super Cars were built and sold is in poor condition, but still standing:
20210914_121306.jpg

The arrow indicates the door where my Dad accepted delivery of it one hot summer day:
20210914_121442.jpg

Don Yenko took 396 cubic inch Chevelles, Novas and Camaros and transplanted the more potent 427 engines between their fenders to produce machinery that was forbidden by General Motors brass.
After playing that game for a while, he discovered that he could use a corporate office production order form that was generally reserved for building taxis and police cruisers to have Chevrolet build them for him.
Yep kids, that is why some of the later Yenko Super Cars got the designation of a COPO car ;)

Yenko also produced Corvairs prepped for roadracing that were designated as Yenko Stingers.
The flywheels were lightened and carb adapters were machined in a small machineshop located near the dealership.
I only know this because that shop was located in the basement of the home I grew up in :cool:

1519797935825.jpg

I've never really been a car guy though by necessity learned something about repairs. :D But where I worked last (Army Depot) we had to deliver and set up a Radar system in Germany and on weekends off we saw some sights. The two guys I worked with (also from PA) wanted to see the Nurburgring and so we went and saw the track and visited a grave marker on a certain turn. But what really amazed them was the museum. I couldn't really get excited but could at least relate to how they were. I figured it was like me visiting the Musee De Armee in Paris. I was so excited I had to stop on the front steps and catch my breath and gather my wits before going in. ;D

Having disassembled and restored quite a few older vehicles from the 60s and 70s, I am pretty well versed of how they were constructed, and truth be told, vehicles were always designed to fail.

And yes, Ford produced a lot of cars prior to WWII that were survivors due to the fact that their bodies were all steel construction unlike the other brands that had their cabin sheetmetal nailed to a wooden skeleton.
The Ford T at one point in time held the honor of the most continuously produced vehicle of all times because of how they were built with very little design changes.
He shut down the model T line for a year to gear up to build the Model A.
Model As thru the early 50s Ford Lincoln and Mercurys could share a lot of drive components because truth be told Henry was a shrewd businessman who wasn't all that in favor of design changes that interrupted his production.
The scrap drives of WWII spelled the demise of many of the other marques from the road salted rust belt as a result of that method of construction.

Returning servicemen found that there were a shortage of vehicles to be had because the production of civilian vehicles was halted for the war effort and so many cars were outright scrapped that they often took older Ford vehicles and stripped the mangled fenders off them and transplanted newer drivetrains in them to create hotrods :D

I love it when a plan comes together :p

View attachment 72459

I've never really been a car guy though by necessity learned something about repairs. :D But where I worked last (Army Depot) we had to deliver and set up a Radar system in Germany and on weekends off we saw some sights. The two guys I worked with (also from PA) wanted to see the Nurburgring and so we went and saw the track and visited a grave marker on a certain turn. But what really amazed them was the museum. I couldn't really get excited but could at least relate to how they were. I figured it was like me visiting the Musee De Armee in Paris. I was so excited I had to stop on the front steps and catch my breath and gather my wits before going in. ;D

While it isn't on the same level as Nurburgring, I got to spend a week working the pit at Road Atlanta as a pup

For those that don't know a lot about me other than being that guy on staff here that is either hated or loved, this kind of story takes me back to my past and my first taste of performance as a kid.

I had quite a storied "career" in streetracing, my first true streetmachine being this Hugger orange 1969 SS 396 4 speed 4.10 posi El Camino bought new at the now world famous Yenko Chevrolet that was located in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania.

Last summer, I was reunited with that old Camino 43 years after I had last driven it as a teenager:
View attachment 72456

Located about 30 miles from my present home, the old dealership building where the Yenko Super Cars were built and sold is in poor condition, but still standing:
View attachment 72457
The arrow indicates the door where my Dad accepted delivery of it one hot summer day:
View attachment 72458

Don Yenko took 396 cubic inch Chevelles, Novas and Camaros and transplanted the more potent 427 engines between their fenders to produce machinery that was forbidden by General Motors brass.
After playing that game for a while, he discovered that he could use a corporate office production order form that was generally reserved for building taxis and police cruisers to have Chevrolet build them for him.
Yep kids, that is why some of the later Yenko Super Cars got the designation of a COPO car ;)

Yenko also produced Corvairs prepped for roadracing that were designated as Yenko Stingers.
The flywheels were lightened and carb adapters were machined in a small machineshop located near the dealership.
I only know this because that shop was located in the basement of the home I grew up in :cool:
My daughter would love the race car & the rest of this story. She inherited my family’s love of vehicles (it skipped me, though I still like their stories). I’m copying it for her.

Last edited:
My secret desire? Not to be a singer, but l always wanted to race cars, it must be that thing of going in circles. Luckily video games came out and saved me from an early death of racing cars.

Sharp looking Camino. My parents had one for awhile. My dad also bought a white rover which required massive amounts of car shop time and money, so it finally left. But people had never seen one before and thought it was a police car (l was a youngster when he bought it).

ebay123729.jpg
The first car I remember we had was similar to this one, it was a 50s Riley. Got pictures of us with it from about 1963 or 64. I remember my dad using a starting handle on it. I was too young to appreciate it but I was fond of it. Can still recall it's numberplate.

View attachment 72470
The first car I remember we had was similar to this one, it was a 50s Riley. Got pictures of us with it from about 1963 or 64. I remember my dad using a starting handle on it. I was too young to appreciate it but I was fond of it. Can still recall it's numberplate.
The Ford model T was definitely the oddest vehicle I have ever driven.
There was no kingpin steering angle to produce caster on the front end, so it was a constant battle to attempt to find the center position instead of just releasing the steering wheel so gravity can find it for you.
That made you do zig-zags when approaching another vehicle traveling in the opposite direction.
There are three pedals on the floor, but they don't do what we are now used to.
The throttle is on the steering stalk, much like a farm tractor.
There is an ignition advance lever there too that you had to learn to operate in order to produce acceptable power and economy.
Too much ignition advance under load and the engine spark knocked.
Too little advance and the engine lacked power and could possibly overheat.
That was eventually tossed to the wayside to vacuum and centrifugal control until once again it was superseded by total computerized control in place now.
The fuel system had no pump, it was gravity fed to the carb.
If a hill was steep enough, the only way to climb it was in reverse.
The cowl mounted tank sat above your knees when driving it.

The left most pedal serves as the gear selector.
In modern vehicles with a manual transmission, this is the clutch pedal that only works as on or off.
A T has three positions, down for low gear and up for high.
The center of the pedal travel is reserved for a neutral mode.
The middle pedal we now consider the brake on a manual transmission vehicle serves as the reverse gear.
The pedal we now use as the fuel feed or throttle is actually the brake pedal.
The brakes are mechanically activated with rods instead of hydraulics.
Rear only I might add, so they were very inefficient as well.

The hand brake lever worked as both a parking brake when fully pulled, or as a neutral position for both stopping for extended periods or for when hand cranking to start them.
Some of the later ones had electric starters, but they could all be hand cranked.

Starting one by hand was both tricky and dangerous.
You pull the crank with an open hand.
You never wrap your thumb around the crank handle in case the engine bucks back which could break your arm or mangle your thumb.
Big fun, huh?

In 1912, Cadillac was the first manufacturer to offer electric start in order to make starting both safer and easier ;)

Last edited:
The EVs could have won if they could have just found those Tesla Superchargers :laughing:. Thanks for some EV history. Some other interesting EV history:

In 1899 and 1900 electrics cars were the biggest sellers of the three power sources: gas, electric and steam.

Henry Ford bought an electric car for his wife. Electrics were particularly popular with women and others who did not want to be working on their car to keep it going. I suppose the strength needed and danger of starting a gas car might have been an issue too. The wealthy would have a driver who did the repairs on their gasoline cars.

Jay Leno owns a Baker Electric, which was manufactured in 1909.

Last edited:
Great story of the technology of that era. Though I can understand the disparity between the number of entrants and the actual number of persons who chose to race that day. Not many creature comforts driving in bad weather in those times, let alone for a serious race ! But hey, at least no one got saddle-sore.

Reminded me of another race some 13 years later. With the winner being the lone American entry, the Thomas Flyer which won a somewhat longer race in 1908.

New York to Paris
- with only six entrants competing.

No joke. Here's a picture of the car as it presently rests in our National Automobile Museum in Reno, Nevada.

View attachment 72454

1908 New York to Paris Race - Wikipedia

This is the actual Zust that was part of the race in 1908, it was at an Alberta car show in 2008, at that time a collector on Vancouver Island owned it...

Zust 01.jpg

View attachment 72470

The Riley RM series; A through D, I even once got a ride in a Riley RMD drophead coupe... When I lived in Ontario many moons ago there was a member of our British car club who owned an RMD drophead coupe, gorgeous car! There were also some other of the saloon car versions in Ontario at the same time... There is apparently one Riley in Alberta but I've never seen it... This is drophead I got a ride in (no seat belts, not required)

Riley 01.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom