• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Dreaded Windows Start Menu

Judge

V.I.P Member
Since Windows XP, I could never stomach the revised Windows start menu. I much preferred the Windows 98 start menu, and made the most of using the classic menu system even in Windows XP. Then came Windows 7, though Microsoft no longer supported the option to convert the menu system to previous versions. So I downloaded "Classic Shell", a third-party solution that gave me back the old start menu for Windows 7.

I finally bit the bullet and switched over to the dreaded Windows 10 last week. I already knew I would hate the start menu, and had already downloaded a third-party replacement for it called "Open Shell". An up-to-date program for Windows 10 to change the menu system far more to my liking. I especially liked the fact that it allows me to hide certain parts of the menu as well, such as "Apps" and "Programs. I hated so many different applications I would never even bother with under the "Apps" menu, so it was a joy to be able to retain it, and place some of its menu items I wanted under my own categories.

Here's a link to this software if you're interested in changing the look and feel of Windows 10:

Open Shell

Below is a screenshot of how I have configured my own start menu. Very retro, but very easy to navigate. Unlike Windows 10, I know where everything I need is within a click or two. :cool:

Open-Shell.jpg

I personally prefer Classic Shell, which is very similar, has I think offers more customization

It's no longer supported officially by the classic Shell Developers, but I believe it now being held up by the Community

Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

From what I read, Class Shell is exposed to security concerns as an unsupported application. A major reason why I chose to migrate to Open Shell instead. Which seems to be somewhat more functional than Classic Shell.

I'm big on the appearance of an interface, but not at risk of potential security flaws given the principal developers no longer support the product.

From what I read, Class Shell is exposed to security concerns as an unsupported application. A major reason why I chose to migrate to Open Shell instead. Which seems to be somewhat more functional than Classic Shell.

ah I see, open shell's a continuation of classic shell, neat! I think I'll be using it from now on then :D

ah I see, open shell's a continuation of classic shell, neat! I think I'll be using it from now on then :D

Yeah, check it out. I love the fact that I can control the opacity of the menu screens, apart from simply dragging the apps menu to the right and hiding it, without actually deleting it.

open shell menu.jpg

One thing that really irked me is that Microsoft gave up supporting the DVD format within the media player. Downloading VLC with all its free codecs seems to work just as well. Though I had to turn off hardware acceleration to make DVD video run more smoothly.

I'm still stoked that I got Photoshop 5.5 to run on Windows 10. Almost seems a fluke given this program is some 20 years old. All in all I haven't lost any functionality in terms of software in moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Quite a surprise. Seems all I had to do was to use the compatibility feature on the install/setup files to make it all work. Even got Microsoft Office 2000 to work too.

Another big help in customizing my menus was to get a list of some of the more proprietary windows commands. This website helps a lot in that regard:

Run Windows 10 Apps Directly With These Commands

Also found a nice source for free custom icons apart from those that you can find within Windows:

Icon Archive - Search 735,802 free icons, desktop icons, download icons, social icons, xp icons, vista icons

Last edited:
I like the street scene.

As far as computers go, I am happy if I can get the thing just to work. Once I start messing with things is when trouble really begins for me.

I like the street scene.

As far as computers go, I am happy if I can get the thing just to work. Once I start messing with things is when trouble really begins for me.

LOL. I know exactly what you mean. But for me, I can't resist in tweaking uh...everything. :cool:

But you're right. Proceed with caution...especially for those of you willing to make Registry edits. :eek:

So timely. I just got a new PC at work two days ago. I hate the new menu - it's all visual and I suck at visual.

Give me a text list of 100 options and I can find what I'm looking for instantly. Give me 3 pictures and I'll stare uncertainly at them for way too long.

Thanks for posting this.

So timely. I just got a new PC at work two days ago. I hate the new menu - it's all visual and I suck at visual.

Give me a text list of 100 options and I can find what I'm looking for instantly. Give me 3 pictures and I'll stare uncertainly at them for way too long.

Thanks for posting this.

Exactly. I'm incessantly using the File Explorer in Windows. Though every window is customized to merely list whatever is in the folder I'm looking at. I never default to viewing icons. Only lists and details- text. Down and dirty...no time to hunt and peck through images.

Last edited:
20 years ago I was great at Windows 3.1 and DOS, but modern computers have passed me by, but I make an effort. I've always tried to keep as simple of an interface as I could. I really don't like icons, or the big cartoon effect of later Windows or even how the apps are following suit. In Autocad I still type everything, and modify my PGP file so commands can be typed quickly with my left hand, while I use the right hand to maintain the crosshair position. Similar to when I used CADAM on a mainframe. I also prefer to see all file details in a list, and see the extensions, otherwise I feel like things are hidden from me and I don't like that.

We just switched to Windows 10 at work a few weeks ago. I wish I could get Autocad to stay on the taskbar of the monitor that I am using for it. As soon as you open a 2nd drawing it jumps back to the original monitor. It's a known issue and no fix for it yet.

I got the dreaded Windows 7 will not be supported message a few weeks ago. 2020 is Windows 10.
Sigh. I hate changing. The message said I need to buy a new PC for it too. It won't work well on one
as old as mine. :(

Personally I hated how they changed every aspect of progams to "Apps" just some sort of trendy BS.
My friend says I'm just "OLD" I say it's marketing bull S***

Giving a +1 to Classic Shell (and it's Open Shell now?) here. I've been using it ever since I first heard of it. Lots of options within to customize the look, feel and functionality, and it gets rid of the cluster fudge that is the default Windows 10 start menu.

On Windows XP I used to apply "Window Blinds" at one point. Having the ability to extremely customize the entire interface to a point where Microsoft Windows was barely recognizable. At one point my Windows XP looked more like Mac's OSX. But I couldn't use that beloved "Chicago" font. At one time I even used a "Klingon" interface...but like so many others I got tired of them.

I suppose I could still download the latest version, but my intent at this point is to simplify navigation rather than complicate it, even to make it look exotic. :oops:

WindowBlinds : Software from Stardock

Last edited:
Thanks @Judge this is useful. I hate the Windows 10 startup menu. In fact. I don't like Windows 10 full stop. I don't like the whole concept of it, geared towards getting people into their store to buy apps, as if my PC were a smartphone of something. Also, I can't get rid of certain features... so much useless junk cluttering up the menu and taking up storage space. I don't want the X box app on it, or candy crush or any of these games. I don't even own an X box, don't want Cortana either. I've managed to get rid of some, but not all.

Thanks @Judge this is useful. I hate the Windows 10 startup menu. In fact. I don't like Windows 10 full stop. I don't like the whole concept of it, geared towards getting people into their store to buy apps, as if my PC were a smartphone of something. Also, I can't get rid of certain features... so much useless junk cluttering up the menu and taking up storage space. I don't want the X box app on it, or candy crush or any of these games. I don't even own an X box, don't want Cortana either. I've managed to get rid of some, but not all.

With just left to right wave and click of a mouse, you can slide the "apps" menu into a dormant stage where it still exists, but doesn't visually show up. A great way to say "bye" to all those unecessary apps I didn't want in the first place.

New Threads

Top Bottom