• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Curly Hair Project

OrangeSquash

Hi all

Does anybody subscribe to the Curly Hair Project here?

Is it useful to you? Have you attended any of their courses/webinars etc?

Thanks

I don't subscribe nor have I attended any of the courses.

I have read one of Alis Rowe's books - The Asperger's and Me: Girl with the Curly Hair. I didn't relate to it much as it's quite childlike, too 'simple' and without substance.

But, my opinion is likely due to the age gap.

Just because I didn't find it useful, doesn't mean that young people wouldn't relate and/or find it a useful resource.

Last edited:
"The Curly Hair Project is a social enterprise which supports people on the autistic spectrum and the people around them, founded by autistic author Alis Rowe."

The Girl With The Curly Hair - Autism Training, Animations, Books

What made you seek an autism diagnosis?
"I wanted an explanation for why I could not fit in with other people and seem to have “normal” relationships, as well as an explanation that I could give to people who misinterpret my behaviour as me not liking them, or being uninterested. For example, at the end of university, all the students and lecturers met up on a sunny day by the river to celebrate. Everyone was having a wonderful time. I stayed ten minutes. I had made a massive effort to attend, but it was such an excruciatingly difficult experience."

How did it feel when you got the diagnosis?
"My diagnosis came as no surprise, as I was certain that I was autistic, but it was very comforting as I finally had an official explanation for all the struggles throughout my life. Being diagnosed at 23, later than the national average, is both positive and negative. The positives are that I have probably become far more resilient and tolerant.

I feel like I am insightful about people, because I spent my whole life observing them and wondering how I could be more like them.

However, I do think that an earlier diagnosis would have helped me emotionally. I would have loved to have found a book or a person that I could relate to."

Why did you start the Curly Hair project?
"I started the Curly Hair Project as a journey to help me understand myself. It ended up helping thousands of other people as well, as at the time I thought there was a lack of resources for adult women on the autism spectrum, so I started making them. I also really love to write, so the project was an outlet to write books, articles, stories, lyrics and discussion posts."

Why did you call your character The Girl with the Curly Hair?
"I am Alis Rowe and I am The Girl with the Curly Hair. I was known as The Girl with the Curly Hair when I was at school. I was always teased for being ‘different’ and having curly hair also made me stand out.

I use The Girl with the Curly Hair character to explain what being autistic can be like, so the world can understand autism better."

Stories from the Spectrum: Alis Rowe - National Autistic Society

New Threads

Top Bottom