• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The conversations I'll probably never have.

Daydreamer

Scatterbrained Creative
Do you ever think about having a conversation with someone repeatedly, even though it is unlikely that this conversation will ever occur? I do. Sometimes I'll daydream about it randomly.

The same situation, the same conversation over and over. I might even get sick of it, but can't seem to stop. Usually it does though. Eventually.

A recent one was when someone touched upon a sensitive subject for me. They had no way of knowing this, because we hadn't talked about my past in any detail. So I kept thinking about what I would say if they inquired any further. They didn't. I was relieved, and the thoughts stopped.

However, then another one appeared. It featured telling a person the truth about something I had lied about ages ago. Mainly out of curiosity, because I began to wonder what would happen if I told them the truth when I next met them. But it wouldn't make much sense if I did. It would be completely out of nowhere, most likely they have probably forgotten about it. A non-issue that probably wouldn't make much sense to them if I brought it up.

I used to think about the things I'd love to say to those I held grudges against or otherwise had unresolved business with. Now that I've accepted things and moved on, I no longer have these potential (albeit unlikely to happen) conversations in my mind.

Yes all the time. It is useful having thought of things first because I don't do well when put on the spot.

YES! Victory!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
That's not scared, I just wanted a face that's yelling.

Victory! :eek:

My first thread when I came here described what you're describing, and a lot of people related to the general idea of it but nobody related to it in exactly the way I described.

And now you did! :cool:

Thanks for making the thread, Miss Daydreamer! :)

Last edited:
Lots of people, lots of conversations.

My mother died many years ago,so I still have a snippet available to use.
Occasionally mother's can be asked about in conversation.

Person : ' How is your mother?'
Me ' She's dead '
Person ' I'm sorry '
Me ' why? Did you kill her?'

Though that isn't quite in topic but I do have lots of conversations I'll never have.
Sometimes it's rehearsal .
Sometimes e'sprit de l'escalier

é'sprit de l'escalier (rough translation)> *staircase wit*

Yes. It's useful as a rehearsal to help me to prepare for the real conversation I will have some day. The real conversation rarely goes as I imagined, though.

YES! Victory!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
That's not scared, I just wanted a face that's yelling.

Victory! :eek:

My first thread when I came here described what you're describing, and a lot of people related to the general idea of it but nobody related to it in exactly the way I described.

And now you did! :cool:

Ah, you must be talking about this thread: Repetitive Thoughts

Thanks for making the thread, Mr. Daydreamer! :)

No problem. Also, I know this a nitpick, but Miss Daydreamer would be more accurate. :p

like this!!!
Lots of people, lots of conversations.

My mother died many years ago,so I still have a snippet available to use.
Occasionally mother's can be asked about in conversation.

Person : ' How is your mother?'
Me ' She's dead '
Person ' I'm sorry '
Me ' why? Did you kill her?'

Though that isn't quite in topic but I do have lots of conversations I'll never have.
Sometimes it's rehearsal .
Sometimes e'sprit de l'escalier

é'sprit de l'escalier (rough translation)>

l always want to say "as opposed to what" in response to whatever they are saying

Yes. My brain visualizes upcoming outcomes from past interactions.

Whether it predicts correctly, or not, it gives me a way to handle the outcome, if that particular outcome was imagined.

For example, if I'm walking, to someone's house, my brain might ask the following:
  • What will I do, if no one answers the door?
  • What will I do, if I meet the person I expect to answer?
  • What will I do, if someone else answers?
Once I think of a solution, to these three possible outcomes, I play out what I've planned, once I realize which one has arisen, in reality.

New Threads

Top Bottom