• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The common cold and hearing issues?

leehart

V.I.P Member
Hi, I currently have the cold which has made my hearing a bit more sensitive. I'm finding that it is causing me real issues with noise, anything high pitched it really grating. Earlier today in a coffee shop they had some air extractor on in the roof and I couldn't stand the noise.

I am normally pretty good with noise, or not self aware enough to link any issues to it, what I am wondering is if you have the cold does it make some sensory things more intense?

I find that when I'm sick in anyway, the uncomfortable and sometimes painful feelfings from being sick are just another sense that's always picking away at me. I generally have a very hard time ignoring the feelings of being sick and so it could very well make me more irritated without noticing just because it's another thing that is always picking away in my mind and not letting me get one second of rest where I'm not distressed from the feelings.

And the more things I have working their way through my mind, distracting me from peace, the more likely I am to become overcome by other senses cause my defenses are already stretched thin.

Most of the time I feel like I can't hear because my ears are plugged up. I should probably see the ear doctor, but it's been like pulling teeth trying to a hold of anyone at his office, and they don't answer messages, and the occasions I do get an appointment made it's usually not for weeks and weeks.:mad:
But really high pitched sounds can hurt my ears. Just yesterday I was out shopping, and just hearing little kids talk made me feel like losing control, and I placed an item under that scanning thingy to check the price, and the beep it made hurt my ears. But maybe I was more sensitive than usual because I had woken up with a really sore, tense back and a headache, and basically felt like I'd been run over over by a steamroller. I think it's because it's because it's close to my time of month. What fun. Not.:rolleyes:

Hi, I currently have the cold which has made my hearing a bit more sensitive. I'm finding that it is causing me real issues with noise, anything high pitched it really grating. Earlier today in a coffee shop they had some air extractor on in the roof and I couldn't stand the noise.

I am normally pretty good with noise, or not self aware enough to link any issues to it, what I am wondering is if you have the cold does it make some sensory things more intense?
The ear passages get swollen and possibly the nerves conducting sounds get more sensitive. When I have a cold, it feels somewhat like I have water, or maybe cotton, in my ears.

Rest more than usual, avoid drafts and chills, and drink loads and loads of fluids, and I hope you will be well in a couple days.

Thanks all, I have been kinda sure I did not have any sensory issues today makes me wonder if I'm normally able to manage these but a slight change and it becomes a struggle?. My hearing has always been very good but noticed today and yesterday that this has been a challenge. High pitched noises yesterday and then the stuff today. Today was a challenge as not feeling too great, the noise and then when driving lots of glare which I can't cope with.

When your system is stressed, everything adds up to overwhelm your ability to cope.

I'm serious about the extra rest. See if you can cancel an activity or two this week, get in bed with a book or something to watch on tv, and if you drift off to sleep, so much the better.

New Threads

Top Bottom