• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ugly Adam

Hello everyone.

I wasn’t sure where to put this thread, but I created this thread to have a place to discuss coding, a place for people on the spectrum to potentially find opportunities freelancing or otherwise, or, for general discussion regarding coding, sharing projects, help with their projects or problems which may arise. Perhaps I should propose a new category on this forum? Let me know what you think, and if there is a best place on this forum for discussion dedicated to coding! :)

Meanwhile I am studying my C# courses on Udemy! Thanks, everyone for your support and encouragement!

I taught myself basic HTML. I like to mess around with it sometimes. I wanted to learn CSS as well but couldn't manage to teach myself and I never took a course. I may look into a course in the future though.

I taught myself basic HTML. I like to mess around with it sometimes. I wanted to learn CSS as well but couldn't manage to teach myself and I never took a course. I may look into a course in the future though.

CSS is very straightforward.

Code:
body{
    background: white;
    width: 60%;
}

:)

I've done some game development. Worked with a studio called Arcen on 2 games and... some number of expansions. It was contracted work and an unusual situation. I'm not a professional at all (I dont actually work a job whatsoever, havent in like 10 years) the contract offer was based on something entirely different. Though I knew these guys pretty well beforehand. It was my first real development experience. I'd never done any before that.

I dont know if what I did there qualifies as "coding" though... my part of the project was done in XML, and some tech people seem to consider that to not be real coding, so... yeah I dont know. Also anything I make is a spaghetti disaster. I'll put it this way: Nobody else on the project ever bothered trying to parse whatever abomination I'd made in there since it was such a tangled mess, so I was the only one touching the stuff I made. The guy in charge though didnt care about that... he cared about results, and I was the only one on the team capable of doing the exact thing I was doing. It really was an odd experience.

I'm also currently learning Lua (slowly) and I *might* take a stab at Unity & C# after finding an excellent Youtube channel for teaching both. Not sure.

I do intend on trying to make a game entirely on my own, but I'll likely use Clickteam Fusion for that since there's no way I could truly code one myself right now.

It all depends on my patience level though.

I wish l could take coding. I did HTML. I jerk around in Linux. l like to rescue systems when they crash. But my current life style doesn't allow me this. l really like networking because it covers so much. If someone gave me a free education in networking - l would do it. l like understanding the firewalls, the encryption process, and where hackers enter in to systems to pentrate.

I'm a 2nd year CS student(a terrible one, mind you. Too much work and discipline required). Currently learning to use the open source Godot game engine and its proprietary language, GDScript, which is remarkably easy to learn compared to java and C++, probably cause its so similar to python. If I had the strength of will, I'd probably have delved deep into AI, because it seems like where the next great leap of human progress is to be found.

I would love to be able to code properly. Back in the 90’s I did a few websites by hand with HTML&CSS as there were no other ways to do websites. Also studied a bit of Java basics at some point and I have couple of Python courses stored.

If I could send message to me in 90’s, I would recommend to keep learning coding. It would have been a good profession to have. :)

Coding is how I earn my living. I originally thought I would have a career in being a gigolo. Coding is much less dangerous. I am writing code for med carts and pharmacy automation devices (pill counters and robots).

I code in c# primarily but have also coded in java. I have done front end work in JQuery and AngularJS. On the data side, I write SQL primarily in MS SQL Server. I have also worked with Oracle.

Maybe someone can help me with an issue I am facing on one of my Udemy courses. The objective is as follows:

Create a main class with a Main Method, then a base class Employee with the properties Name, FirstName, Salary and the methods Work() and Pause().

Create a deriving class boss with the property CompanyCar and the method Lead(). Create another deriving class of employees - trainees with the properties WorkingHours and SchoolHours and a method Learn().

Override the methods Work() of the trainee class so that it indicates the working hours of the trainee.

Don’t forget to create the constructors.

Create an object of each of the three classes (with arbitrary values)

and call the methods, Lead() of Boss and Work() of Trainee.

Just print out the respective text, what the respective employees do.

The problem is, even though I thought that I followed the instructions properly, the two variables, firstName and salary (see below) do not appear to inherit, even though the objective of the course is inheritance. Visual studio shows errors, underlining them in red, suggesting to add a field or property for these corresponding values in Trainee.cs (see below). This behaviour is unexpected given that those should inherit from Employee.cs. If you would like to see a screenshot, see attachment at bottom.

PROGRAM.CS:

Code:
using System;

namespace ConsoleApp51

{

internal class Program

{

private static void Main(string[] args)

{

Employee michael = new Employee("Michael", "Miller", 40000);

michael.Work();

michael.Pause();

Boss chuckNorris = new Boss("Ferrari", "Norris", "Chuck", 958000);

chuckNorris.Lead();

Trainee michelle = new Trainee(32, 8, "Gartner", "Michelle", 10000);

michelle.Learn();

micelle.Work();

Console.ReadKey();

}

}

}

EMPLOYEE.CS:

Code:
using System;

using System.Collections.Generic;

using System.Linq;

using System.Text;

using System.Threading.Tasks;

namespace ConsoleApp51

{

class Employee

{

public string Name { get; set; }

public string FirstName { get; set; }

public int Salary { get; set; }

public Employee(string name, string firstName, int salary)

{

this.Name = name;

this.FirstName = firstName;

this.Salary = salary;

}

public Employee()

{

Name = "Doe";

FirstName = "Adam";

Salary = 60000;

}

public void Work()

{

Console.WriteLine("I am working");

}

public void Pause()

{

Console.WriteLine("I'm on break");

}

}

}

BOSS.CS

Code:
using System;

using System.Linq;

using System.Text;

namespace ConsoleApp51

{

class Boss:Employee

{

public string CompanyCar { get; set; }

public Boss(string companyCar, string name, string firstName, int salary):base(name,firstName,salary)

{

this.CompanyCar = companyCar;

//this.Name = name; -- no need; just add :base(name,firstName,salary)

}

public void Lead()

{

Console.WriteLine("I'm the boss. My name is {0} {1}",FirstName,Name);

}

}

}

TRAINEE.CS: (this is where the unexpected behaviour is – firstName and Salary fail to inherit)

Code:
using System;

using System.Linq;

using System.Text;

namespace ConsoleApp51

{

class Trainee:Employee

{

public int WorkingHours { get; set; }

public int SchoolHours { get; set; }

public Trainee(int workingHours, int schoolHours, string name) : base(name, firstName, salary) //firstName and salary underlined in red for unknown reason

{

this.WorkingHours = workingHours;

this.SchoolHours = schoolHours;

//this.Name = name;

}

public void Learn()

{

Console.WriteLine("I'm learning for {0} hours", SchoolHours);

}

public void Work()

{

Console.WriteLine("I worked for {0} hours", WorkingHours);

}

}

}
Trainee (1).png

Coding is how I earn my living. I originally thought I would have a career in being a gigolo. Coding is much less dangerous. I am writing code for med carts and pharmacy automation devices (pill counters and robots).

I code in c# primarily but have also coded in java. I have done front end work in JQuery and AngularJS. On the data side, I write SQL primarily in MS SQL Server. I have also worked with Oracle.

Are you hiring right now? I know I am at student level but if you or someone you know is open to hiring a coding student and is willing to provide some training let me know! I'd love to get my foot in the door! :)

You probably got it by now, but:
public Trainee(int workingHours, int schoolHours, string name) : base(name, firstName, salary)
should be:
public Trainee(int workingHours, int schoolHours, string name, string firstName, int salary) : base(name, firstName, salary)

You forgot to add the necessary arguments to the child class constructor, which would be taken by the parent class constructor. Oddly enough, you didn't make this mistake in the Boss class.

Good luck and keep at it!

You probably got it by now, but:
public Trainee(int workingHours, int schoolHours, string name) : base(name, firstName, salary)
should be:
public Trainee(int workingHours, int schoolHours, string name, string firstName, int salary) : base(name, firstName, salary)

You forgot to add the necessary arguments to the child class constructor, which would be taken by the parent class constructor. Oddly enough, you didn't make this mistake in the Boss class.

Good luck and keep at it!

Oh, yeah, as always, I notice, every time something is wrong, it's always a simple and obvious mistake! Why is it that I can solve more complex issues than simple issues? Isn't that ironic?

TraineeFixed.png

I actually would love to take a class on coding. It looks interesting.
I am currently taking "Complete C# Masterclass" by Denis Panjuta on Udemy.com, and I highly recommend it. Next in my to-do is "Flutter & Dart - The Complete Guide [2020 Edition]" by Maximilian Schwarzmüller, also on Udemy.com

I would also suggest LaunchSchool.com. I'm also just getting onboard with that after it was recommended to me. My goal is to be a highly skilled software developer by the time I'm 30.

New Threads

Top Bottom