• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Christmas Thread

Do you like Pie or Cake?

• I like pie, pie you can have anything in it. It’s so yummy!

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I like cake, cake is so nice. It’s so yummy!

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I like both.

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • I don’t like any.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other option. Pines

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Moomin

“My servants never die!”
I’ve noticed that there are a few “I hate Christmas because....” threads, and most of them are because people are lonely during the holiday. This is not directed at anyone, I just find it sad to see because I’m fortunate that despite conflicts with my family (mom, dad, sibling, cats) that I do have the holiday to spend it with someone. However, if I happen to be on my own one day for the holiday (although not really alone because I’ll have cats), I’d hope that I can have some sort of Christmas that I can spend it with people who understood me and felt just as isolated.

So this thread is for everyone.

(Cat walked across keyboard and hit post before I could post...)

To clear the point: Basically this thread (thanks cat for posting prematurely.....) is intended for anyone to use, during advent or on Christmas Eve/Day. Even New Years (I’m not a fan of that). If you’re alone, please feel free to post here. Likewise, if you’re feeling overwhelmed by Christmas and people. Think of this as like a secret Santa but not really a secret Santa, more like not being alone for the holiday and having someone there even if it’s online. It’s not about hating or loving Christmas. It’s still a sort of Christmas. :evergreen:

I used to always really enjoy, look forward to and even get excited for Christmas but to be honest ,just lately the whole thing has just become one massive pain in the arse! Stress, money, having to spend time with people I really don't like , crappy repeats on TV and annoying music on the radio, hustle and bustle in shops and noisy crowds. How the HELL is any of that fun and laughter?

I used to always really enjoy, look forward to and even get excited for Christmas but to be honest ,just lately the whole thing has just become one massive pain in the arse! Stress, money, having to spend time with people I really don't like , crappy repeats on TV and annoying music on the radio, hustle and bustle in shops and noisy crowds. How the HELL is any of that fun and laughter?

Stresses really do have an impact on how things can be perceived at times. Do you have to watch tv and the radio? Does it have to be those things?

I can’t speak for the shops, that does suck.

I used to dread Christmas with certain members of my family because of their Cluster B personality disorders. I finally decided to leave town for the holiday season and let them share their toxic personalities together without me. We haven't spent a Christmas in our home state for many years, and since then, I have come to enjoy Christmas again. I'm packing for the Caribbean this weekend and finishing up gift wrapping for presents I leave behind. Can't wait to eat delicious Mexican food and walk on the warm beach for the next several weeks.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!

I don’t really see the connection of the poll and the topic. Anyway, I like Christmas because it’s my mom’s birthday and we always celebrate with a big feast we cook ourselves. It used to be mostly me and my mom in the kitchen for a few days, but since me and my sister are both in long-term relationships with men who love cooking as well, we’ve started dividing up the courses. Since then all of us contribute to Christmas dinner, except for my grandparents. They bake a bundt cake for breakfast on the second day of Christmas though.

Even though I love the evening, it’s very draining for me because it’s a long night with a larger group of people than I’m usually comfortable with. What helps is that my sister and I have made a new tradition with our boyfriends, which is to go out for drinks after the dinner is over. That way we can all decompress over drinks and the boyfriends can relax and breathe.

Repeat!!! Good assessment (in my opinion) & more could be added. However, to be honest I must admit that subconsciously loneliness could possibly be a contributing factor.

I live a mere six hours plus drive from my only family - my brother and his second wife. I am in touch with them through email. During the days leading up to this past Thanksgiving I could sense their enthusiasm for the upcoming gathering of family members. However, my wife and I were not even invited. And when I received holiday photos from them, all the pictures were of her children and grandchildren, whom I've never met - no photos of my brother's daughters and their children. Having stated this, I must admit that the flood of emotions experienced was loneliness.

I think the OP had the poll to start the tone of the thread on an upbeat note. Thoughts of desserts is always great! Of course now I’m thinking about cake instead of a high protein nutritious breakfast! Lol

Depends on what kind of pie and what kind of cake. Chocolate pie yes. Chocolate cake yes. Coconut pie no. cake with coconut no. most cakes yes. some pies yes.

I like pie AND cake! Unless it's fruitcake, which is gross. We seem to be more of a pie family at my parent's house, though. Coconut cream pie is both a favorite of my father and myself. Anyway, my mother said she's planning to make gingerbread cookies when I come home for the holidays and asked me to help her decorate them.:)

I have to admit my affinity for pies and cakes, since my stroke and subsequent diet change is now very limited. My favorite pie is Pumpkin - cake is German Chocolate. What do others desire?

I have to admit my affinity for pies and cakes, since my stroke and subsequent diet change is now very limited. My favorite pie is Pumpkin - cake is German Chocolate. What do others desire?
german chocolate cake is with the coconut in the icing right?

Yes Pats, German chocolate cake has the coconut/walnut icing, so if you don’t like coconut then you probably won’t like it. You COULD eat the cake part and give away the icing to one of the kids! (I always find a way to eat the cake)
I love fruit pies, pecan and pumpkin pies too.
I really like white cakes. Or chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting. And then there are the spice cakes and carrot cakes which should all have the cream cheese frostings!
I don’t like coconut either.

I used to dread Christmas with certain members of my family because of their Cluster B personality disorders. I finally decided to leave town for the holiday season and let them share their toxic personalities together without me. We haven't spent a Christmas in our home state for many years, and since then, I have come to enjoy Christmas again. I'm packing for the Caribbean this weekend and finishing up gift wrapping for presents I leave behind. Can't wait to eat delicious Mexican food and walk on the warm beach for the next several weeks.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!
Wow! Hope you have a lovely time in the Caribbean. Merry Christmas to you.

I don’t really see the connection of the poll and the topic. Anyway, I like Christmas because it’s my mom’s birthday and we always celebrate with a big feast we cook ourselves. It used to be mostly me and my mom in the kitchen for a few days, but since me and my sister are both in long-term relationships with men who love cooking as well, we’ve started dividing up the courses. Since then all of us contribute to Christmas dinner, except for my grandparents. They bake a bundt cake for breakfast on the second day of Christmas though.

Even though I love the evening, it’s very draining for me because it’s a long night with a larger group of people than I’m usually comfortable with. What helps is that my sister and I have made a new tradition with our boyfriends, which is to go out for drinks after the dinner is over. That way we can all decompress over drinks and the boyfriends can relax and breathe.
It’s a thing I do to make it less depressing. You don’t have to vote in the poll. It’s really just a silly question, that I use as a defense mechanism if I feel like I’m under stress or upset about something. Think of it as a fun thing. It’s not serious. And I’m not offended by any of the answers. I was going to do a poll of “do you like Christmas “ but it’s not really something that I wanted to bring focus to when people don’t like it because of complex reasons. This is more about a positive thread in the face of what can be a difficult holiday. Does that make sense?

I think the OP had the poll to start the tone of the thread on an upbeat note. Thoughts of desserts is always great! Of course now I’m thinking about cake instead of a high protein nutritious breakfast! Lol

Go for the CAKE! Who needs nutritional goodness.

I like pie AND cake! Unless it's fruitcake, which is gross. We seem to be more of a pie family at my parent's house, though. Coconut cream pie is both a favorite of my father and myself. Anyway, my mother said she's planning to make gingerbread cookies when I come home for the holidays and asked me to help her decorate them.:)
No one counts fruit cake as cake. It’s awesome that you make gingerbread cookies. We tried that last year but it didn’t go to plan.

Apple pie. All the time. And Apple strüdel.....

Why did I make that poll, now I want strüdel.

Mmmmmm Caaaaaake!
And Piiiiiiiiiie
And struuuuuuuuuuuudel....

I spent a couple of Christmases alone and it was a tremendously lonely experience. Christmas with a partner was often a frustrating time with all the visiting and relatives and hubbub. The last few years though, I've found my Goldilocks zone and now Christmas is the joy all the adverts tell you it's supposed to be :)
Oh - and Mrs Autistamatic made a delicious smelling Italian chocolate christmas cake today. Can't wait for a slice of that with some thick cream over it... or custard!

New Threads

Top Bottom