• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Canoe Trip, sort of

WhitewaterWoman

V.I.P Member
For a variety of reasons, I was not able to complete my canoe trip. But I did spend some time on the lakes and rivers in Ontario and Quebec. And before that, I had some terrific visits with family and friends I had not seen for many years, even decades. Here are a few photos for your enjoyment.
IMG-5869.jpg
IMG-5847.jpg
IMG-5880.jpg
IMG-5900.jpg
IMG-6133.jpg
IMG-6161.jpg
IMG-6128 (1).jpg

Nice. Solo or tandem canoe? I have had memorable experiences on the Madawaska, Ottowa, and Petawawa, and in the Boundary Waters N of Lake Superior. Being on the water and getting into the rhythm of paddling and the scenery is so calming.

Last edited:
Being on the water and getting into the rhythm of paddling and the scenery is so calming.
Exactly.

My new solo boat: A Colden dragonfly. It is a dream to paddle. Designed for lake and paddles straight on and with enough rocker for basic white water. It has poor primary stability (takes some getting used to) but exceptional secondary stability. 38 pounds. kevlar and carbon fiber. wood trim. Sorry I don't have a better picture.

Interestingly, the wood trim has the same color as my 35 year old wood paddle made by Dave Kavner.

I spent a bunch of time on the Ottawa River doing day trips. I also paddled on Marshall Lake which was up near Geraldton. On Lac Oiseau, a small lake in Quebec, but good for a day out paddling. The weather was marginal most of the time I was up there. Only occasional brilliant days.
Dragonfly.jpg

Gorgeous photos and beautiful canoe. So glad you were still able to have a good time! :)

Outdoor adventures are my second favorite thing in the world, besides dogs ;) But my adventures are always with my dogs! :)

Wow, it's very pretty there.

In Oregon, we have a lot of rivers in the Cascades that are great for rafting. Not so much white water that I know of. But there are some fun spots where it dips down, and gets fast for a moment, before the current slows down again.

But... It was still a canoe trip, with I'm sure some incredible experiences... Just because you didn't quite finish the trip, doesn't mean it didn't happen...

Wow, it's very pretty there.

In Oregon, we have a lot of rivers in the Cascades that are great for rafting. Not so much white water that I know of. But there are some fun spots where it dips down, and gets fast for a moment, before the current slows down again.
Oregon has the Rogue. We had Susan's Vista Blade, inflatable, self bailing, rigid floor, high performance, kayak. My spouse took a picture of me in Coffeepot Canyon and all you can see above the wave is one paddle blade. And, next was Government Rapid, adrenaline city. It was scary in some places.

Exactly.

My new solo boat: A Colden dragonfly. It is a dream to paddle. Designed for lake and paddles straight on and with enough rocker for basic white water. It has poor primary stability (takes some getting used to) but exceptional secondary stability. 38 pounds. kevlar and carbon fiber. wood trim. Sorry I don't have a better picture.

Interestingly, the wood trim has the same color as my 35 year old wood paddle made by Dave Kavner.

I spent a bunch of time on the Ottawa River doing day trips. I also paddled on Marshall Lake which was up near Geraldton. On Lac Oiseau, a small lake in Quebec, but good for a day out paddling. The weather was marginal most of the time I was up there. Only occasional brilliant days. View attachment 83928
Nice I like the midship tuck in and some obvious asymmetry. Looking at other pics of that model it looks fishform (seating to the stern of the center). Below is me in the solo boat I built, in some riffles. Redwood and Northern White Cedar for a very stiff hull, scuppered ash gunwales that cap the hull, mahogany decks, 6 oz. fiberglass, 15-1/2', 32 lbs. Fishform with a tuck-in, asymmetric rocker. I like the tuck-in because it allows the hull to flare for good secondary stability but lets you paddle closer to the centerline without the longer reach if that flare continued to the gunwales
a269f-1044630567-L(2).jpg

Last edited:
Wow. That's one cool vacation. As long as you enjoyed it, then it was a success?
Curious where the last photo on the original post was taken of?

Thank you all for the compliments.

JeffT: That photo was taken on the Ottawa River, facing south, near Iles des Alumettes. On the left is Quebec and on the right is Ontario.

Gerald: That is one beautiful boat you made. What patience and care it takes to do that kind of work. I admire beautifully made boats.

The dragonfly's balance point (for yoke placement) is just fore of the seat. BUT, and I thought this was weird, the stern seems too light when unloaded. I had to place a couple gallons of water in the stern to get the balance right. The dragonfly is meant to be paddled kneeling and I must say, it was very comfortable.

New Threads

Top Bottom