• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Buddy Bench

Vanilla

Your friendly neighbourhood hedgehog
V.I.P Member
download.jpg

Hey everyone,

Not sure what everyone thinks of this idea, but thought I'd just put it out there in case anyone felt like giving it a go. It's called 'the buddy bench' system, and the video below should explain how it works.

Obviously online we can't install an actual bench, but perhaps we can put the basics of the system to play. All you'd have to do is reply to this post saying "(your name) is sitting on the buddy bench", and anyone can feel free to join you (and more than one person can join). Kind of like a 'buddy for an hour' sort of deal, so that everyone can have a chance to get to know someone new, and it doesn't put pressure on either person joining the bench to maintain the conversation afterwards should they only want a short one.

If someone is already sitting on the bench when you get here, all you have to do is type '(your name) sits next to (their name) on the bench' and then start by asking them a question. A few examples are below for anyone feeling unsure:

1) How is your day?
2) What's your favourite colour?
3) What's your favourite thing to eat?
4) What's your favourite animal, and why?
5) Would you like to try and find out what we share in common?

Should you be feeling shy and prefer a private conversation instead of talking via the thread, you can always take the conversation into a private message - just let the other person/ people know that you feel that way when sitting on the bench by saying '(your name) is sitting on the bench, hoping for a private chat', or something.

When you're ready to leave the bench, all you need to do is to thank the other person/ people for their time, and type '(your name) gets up from the bench'. It's up to you whether you'd like to 'shake hands' or 'do a little curtsy' before leaving as well. Need to keep talking after the other person leaves? Then check the bench again for anyone new, or create a new post letting people know you're still on the bench.

Keep in mind that anyone on the buddy bench could be feeling anxious to talk to others, so respect is important in trying to avoid accidentally hurting someone's feelings. Also keep in mind that sometimes the site might have more people at some times, and less people at others, so don't feel too discouraged if you don't find someone right away. They might take a bit of time to get back to you.

I'll get the ball rolling...

"Vanilla is sitting on the buddy bench"

Bolletje sits down next to Vanilla. “How is your day?” Asks Bolletje. “My day has been fine, I’ve been painting and playing with my cats.”

Hey Bolletje, nice to meet you :)

My day has been good, I'm pretty happy with how the buddy bench is going so far. Painting is cool, what have you been painting? I also have a cat, though he's pretty old now.

Hey Yeshuasdaughter, there’s always room for one more. I’m sorry to hear about your cancer, I hope you’re responding well to the treatment with not too many side effects. This is a safe place to talk though, in case you ant to vent.

"Vanilla sits back down on the bench"

I'm alright. Going thru cancer treatment. Hoping I'm cured. How are you.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you get better, and soon. How long have you been getting treatments for?
I'm ok otherwise

Since August, but I'm hoping the next pet scan is clear and I can go on with my life. What is your favorite food.

Since August, but I'm hoping the next pet scan is clear and I can go on with my life. What is your favorite food.
Well I wish you all the best with your pet scan.
My favourite food is salmon - with crispy skin :)
How about you? What's your favourite food?

"Vanilla gets up from the bench" - that's me for today, hope you two are well

Think l sat in gum. Omg. How embarrassing. What stragety should l use to remove? Ice cube? Peanut butter?

Oh dear it's started to rain and me in my shorts and t-shirt gonna run home before i get soaked.

New Threads

Top Bottom