• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Big Short

Bella Pines

V.I.P Member
Anyone seen the film The Big Short?

There's a fantastic character in it, Dr Michael Burry, the guy in shorts and bare feet:

"His son was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome, and Burry believes he himself has Asperger Syndrome after reading about the disorder."

I loved that he saw something obvious, and NO ONE would believe him, or listen to him and always gave him strange looks. There was no "I told you so" moment, he was simply apart from everyone. I can relate to that.

The worst thing about the movie though is that one of the senior managers at my work described him as "the crazy person". When actually I thought he was the only "normal" one in the entire movie. Mental note to never tell her that I have aspergers too... :oops:

sadly people see it anyway, dont hide it, its a waste of energy

There's a fantastic character in it, Dr Michael Burry, the guy in shorts and bare feet:

"His son was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome, and Burry believes he himself has Asperger Syndrome after reading about the disorder."

I loved that he saw something obvious, and NO ONE would believe him, or listen to him and always gave him strange looks. There was no "I told you so" moment, he was simply apart from everyone. I can relate to that.

The worst thing about the movie though is that one of the senior managers at my work described him as "the crazy person". When actually I thought he was the only "normal" one in the entire movie. Mental note to never tell her that I have aspergers too... :oops:

Yeah, that did occur to me afterwards. I thought up a number of witty retorts after the conversation, but in the moment I just went into nodding dog mode wearing a blank smile...

I genuinely don't think anyone sees it. I mean it is obvious, I'm about as aspie as it gets and might as well wear a t-shirt saying as much. I do walk around the office in socks or tights. But people dont' look. Hiding in plain sight.

I haven't seen the movie. However, Burry is a notorious figure in finance, variously held as a paragon of investing and an unethical profiteer. External reputation aside, His "credit default swap" scheme/market made the impacts of the housing crash worse than they otherwise would have been. This probably influences why your managers call him "the crazy one."

New Threads

Top Bottom