• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Autism Spectrum is Useless: Here's why...

It is wrong to classify anyone on a "spectrum" I understand autism exists but putting people on a spectrum is inhuman and stupid. Everyone is different no two autistic people are alike. Classify people as who THEY are not where they stand on some pointless spectrum.

EVERYONE DIAGNOSED WITH AUTISM IS DIFFERENT

I think of a pair of scales, when "spectrum" comes up. Because on that pair of scales, there is lot of room for differences!

What I think is stupid, is saying aspergers is autism, which is clearly is not and there are at least two (I repeat: least) auties on here and they make a clear diffination between the two and I know that I do not have autism and when I have really clumsy blurted it out, as a way of explanation, I do get the look of incredulous in their faces and then: no way are you autistic and we all get that way, but hey, not everyone is autistic and I feel so squashed down, that it takes the energy from me.

But, the more confident I feel ( because I am not official), the more strength I gain in my confidence to stand my ground, when people verbally attack me.

It is wrong to classify anyone on a "spectrum" I understand autism exists but putting people on a spectrum is inhuman and stupid.
Why is it inhuman and why is it stupid? Why is it wrong? The classification is made only for diagnostic purposes and to establish how much support that person needs in order to be able to function socially. In other words, it's so that they can get help if they need it.

This might be true 10-30 years from now when a large majority of the western world is on the spectrum, forced into this artificially induced evolution. Currently... distinct differences between those on and off. I get what you're trying to say though, we all got junk to deal with. Same game, just different levels. Same hell, just different devils.

As for putting people on the spectrum being useless? You just haven't understood it's use yet. Getting the knowledge on what you are and what you aren't. The positive and negative traits associated with it. A deeper self knowing. Guides your potential, the future of anyone with the will to utilize it properly.

Last edited:
Hey, if that's your opinion...good luck with the fight ahead. You vs. a large segment of the population? You planning to be a one-man army or something? Got any money or influence?

EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT, putting people on spectrum is useless

I do agree that maybe the "spectrum" has gotten so vast that its a confusing mess
I do agree it can become a political ploy and a cash cow
I do agree that some people might (and have) figured out how to abuse it for personal gains or drugs, but thousands (maybe millions) go on without the help they truly need...

The spectrum thing might suck a little in some ways....
BUT without some defining narrative people like me are sort of just lost in humanity (and we are anyway)

As sucky as the "spectrum" might seem at times... What is the better plan?

I do wish there was a soft and caring way to give people like us a label that people could more easily grasp...

I have to be honest... when lots of people hear the word Autism they seem to think of deeply challenged people and THAT is where the word picture stops... I have people in my own family who HATE that word, one of them I am married too...

So higher functioning people are sort of left out in the cold sometimes.

ALSO many times people only seem to think ASD is just a KID thing... Those kids grow up to be ME, and those like me, and yet I am so fortunate to not in any way be deeply challenged or need assistance from others to live... That said, I NEVER want to be some heartless monster to my ASD brothers and sisters who DO NOT get to enjoy the life I am blessed to have...

In there somewhere has to be COMPASSION to UNDERSTAND just how vastly different we really are.

Maybe you could re-think this a little??? Maybe you have the next great idea to make it all work better... If so... take the dead cat off of Sportsters dinner table, and explain what is the better way to do this... : )

Now accepting disbursements from zelle,vennmo,paypal and cash in envelopes.

I think Monopoly money is now a Universal Currency.... It might even be as real as "real money" at this point...

Plus I can send you my "CHANCE" card that I found while walking around in Sedona a couple days ago... (Is it GOOD LUCK or Synchronicity???)

IMG_0407.jpg

I think Monopoly money is now a Universal Currency.... It might even be as real as "real money" at this point...

Plus I can send you my "CHANCE" card that I found while walking around in Sedona a couple days ago... (Is it GOOD LUCK or Synchronicity???)

View attachment 42276

Hey, you go to that church i told you about?

I once listened to a radio program, a weird story about a playing card - the seven of hearts.

Next day i found a face down playing card while out walking.....

Yep. 3 of spades.

No, it was genuinely the seven of hearts!

Frankly I'm inclined to believe that the concept of the spectrum relative to autism itself works. That it explains our individual diversity relative to a broad number of traits and behaviors which not only span that spectrum, but also manifested in broad measurements of amplitude.

That it reflects the difference between those of us who may still have select autistic traits and behaviors, but at lower amplitudes which more or less outline those of us who are truly "high functioning", and have greater cognitive abilities as opposed to those who do not.

Conversely however, I believe the DSM-V does those same people on that spectrum a disfavor by being rigidly classified into three classifications which seem to reflect more of a methodology to somewhat discourage the likelihood of a positive diagnoses rather than to confirm it. Mainly to pacify specific political and fiscal concerns of both the public and private sectors.

IMO in its present form the process is certainly far from perfection. Though it does address a basic aspect of autism that in fact it does reflect a spectrum of traits and behaviors rather than anything so simple and insufficient as fitting a finite list of symptoms.

Hey, you go to that church i told you about?

I once listened to a radio program, a weird story about a playing card - the seven of hearts.

Next day i found a face down playing card while out walking.....

Yep. 3 of spades.

No, it was genuinely the seven of hearts!

Yes I did!!!! This is from the first parking lot down in front. I got all jammed up and in a mess in the upper back parking lot... It was crowed and people had parked all crazy, and I was just trying to turn around and get out... It was interesting to have me cussing under my breath in the church parking lot.... : )
IMG_0461.jpg

Yes I did!!!! This is from the first parking lot down in front. I got all jammed up and in a mess in the upper back parking lot... It was crowed and people had parked all crazy, and I was just trying to turn around and get out... It was interesting to have me cussing under my breath in the church parking lot.... : )
View attachment 42277

You get up to the church and look down... that massive house has a great garden
But maybe you were too freaked by then to hang around :)
We were lucky to be there super early

View attachment 42276

Oh that's funny Chance! Maybe you are destined to live in Sedona?

I kinda think in the future the Spectrum will be replaced by biological markers. That's all I will say...........exiting fast...........

New Threads

Top Bottom