• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Aspiescentral Monthly Poll; July 2014

How do you feel about and perceive the general image of ASD in society?

• More positive

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • More negative

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • About 50/50

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

King_Oni

V.I.P Member
(ranging from media to stereotypes and prejudices, perhaps even how it's being perceived on the workfloor/school)?

Autism sometimes gets a bad rep and recently has been linked to some extreme violence (and let's not debate whether that's uncalled for or if it's true, that's not the discussion here) and as media reports, the masses eat it up, claiming that autism is dangerous. Add in the increase in diagnosis and you've got something brewing that raises concern.

Also add in the Rain man stereotype (even though there's no actual statement he was autistic. Nor was Kim Peek, who this movie was inspired on). I can't recall the times I heard comparisons to Rain man when I mentioned I was on the spectrum (and I really can't count the number of rubber bands in a jar). Nor does the stereotype of all autistic people being good with numbers and all brilliant with computers and such hold any truth. But it's one of the stereotypes I hear and read about quite a lot.

And there's also workplace accomodation and how co-workers might think that it's uncalled for that you need "special treatment" among other things. (which in turn might lead to bullying)

The upside is; there are plenty of brilliant people in the present, past (and probably in the future) who are on the spectrum and contributed significantly. And that's when all prejudice is waived away for a while, if it's even brought up at all.

So it's 2 sides of the same coin.

But in essence; do you think ASD gets a bad rep overall and do we need a good public relations department? Or is only half as bad and do you think there's a lot of positive emphasis on ASD in general?

As with any monthly poll; answers used through the voting system will only be recorded. Replies in this thread won’t.

For more information about AC monthly polls;The Aspiescentral monthly Poll | AspiesCentral.com

More negative, but not 100% negative. The worst happens whenever there's a mass shooting and people try to determine what will get Nancy Grace and friends the most frothed-up, because ratings. But then that's the case with anything that causes one not to be NT.

On the other hand, there are the likes of SAP and Microsoft who are seeing the positives.

I must be missing something - where are we supposed to reply to this to be counted in the poll?

I really never tell anyone I am autistic in public as I live amongst those who think they can catch it from me and for god sakes who would want to catch that crap because it is bad...:eek:

I must be missing something - where are we supposed to reply to this to be counted in the poll?

As with every poll, there is a poll option on top of the thread, that's where votes go. Any comments will not be counted towards the final result.

Sorry, still confused. Can't find the poll in the iPhone app. Does it have to be done in a web browser?

More negative, but not 100% negative. The worst happens whenever there's a mass shooting and people try to determine what will get Nancy Grace and friends the most frothed-up, because ratings. But then that's the case with anything that causes one not to be NT.

On the other hand, there are the likes of SAP and Microsoft who are seeing the positives.

You said what I was thinking, so I'll just say, "Ditto!!!"

A point I'd like to make is just because as Doctor says an individual has aspergers doesn't necessarily make it so. Narcissistic personality disorder could be mistaken for aspergers among many other mental or neurological problems. Perhaps even a co-morbidity of NPD and AS is to blame. It's a well known fact that any disorder or illness has the potential to co-exist with a seperate problem afflicting the same person.

I really never tell anyone I am autistic in public as I live amongst those who think they can catch it from me and for god sakes who would want to catch that crap because it is bad...:eek:

I don't know how you deal with the ignorance...it would drive me mad.

Last edited by a moderator:
A point I'd like to make is just because as Doctor says an individual has aspergers doesn't necessarily make it so. Narcissistic personality disorder could be mistaken for aspergers among many other mental or neurological problems. Perhaps even a co-morbidity of NPD and AS is to blame. It's a well known fact that any disorder or illness has the potential to co-exist with a seperate problem afflicting the same person.

I'm somewhat missing the point here... Unless you mean that the negative stigma of AS stems from potential misdiagnosis. Keep in mind that the general populous doesn't think it through that far in most cases. Something happens and AS is mentioned, it pretty much ends up becoming a temporary "AS is bad" mantra

(ranging from media to stereotypes and prejudices, perhaps even how it's being perceived on the workfloor/school)?

Autism sometimes gets a bad rep and recently has been linked to some extreme violence (and let's not debate whether that's uncalled for or if it's true, that's not the discussion here) and as media reports, the masses eat it up, claiming that autism is dangerous. Add in the increase in diagnosis and you've got something brewing that raises concern.

Also add in the Rain man stereotype (even though there's no actual statement he was autistic. Nor was Kim Peek, who this movie was inspired on). I can't recall the times I heard comparisons to Rain man when I mentioned I was on the spectrum (and I really can't count the number of rubber bands in a jar). Nor does the stereotype of all autistic people being good with numbers and all brilliant with computers and such hold any truth. But it's one of the stereotypes I hear and read about quite a lot.

And there's also workplace accomodation and how co-workers might think that it's uncalled for that you need "special treatment" among other things. (which in turn might lead to bullying)

The upside is; there are plenty of brilliant people in the present, past (and probably in the future) who are on the spectrum and contributed significantly. And that's when all prejudice is waived away for a while, if it's even brought up at all.

So it's 2 sides of the same coin.

But in essence; do you think ASD gets a bad rep overall and do we need a good public relations department? Or is only half as bad and do you think there's a lot of positive emphasis on ASD in general?

As with any monthly poll; answers used through the voting system will only be recorded. Replies in this thread won’t.

For more information about AC monthly polls;The Aspiescentral monthly Poll | AspiesCentral.com
I voted "more negative" for the reasons you cited in your post. 1) Misinformation and misconceptions about Autism Spectrum Disorder that are promulgated in the popular media; and 2) An overall skepticism or dismissive attitude toward people on the spectrum (as if they are fabricating or exaggerating their condition). Simply put, the majority of the population, I think, is vastly uninformed about ASD, and they don't really care because they regard it as little more than a fad.

A reminder; this poll closes in a bit less than a week. Please vote if you haven't done so yet

Isnt there a way you can set up a quick link to a place where someone could vote, like a voting poll?

I think most of the negetiveity about AS actually comes more from people that are like, so what , its not a big deal, your making excuses for yourself, blah, blah,blah.... Victim blaming crap.

Isnt there a way you can set up a quick link to a place where someone could vote, like a voting poll?

Well, the poll is above, in this thread. Though from my understanding polls don't work on tapatalk or the AC app.

The monthly poll is a sticky as well and bumping it every once in a while should get a few people in to vote.

Not sure if we can do much more for attention on this forum without having to change the forum layout.

voted positive.
there definitely is more understanding and recognition of all forms of autism now,otherwise we [LFAs] woudnt be recognised as such unless we had severe or profound intelectual disability and aspies woudnt be diagnosed,we woud all be putting up with miserable SOBs telling us we are mentaly defective.

am wondering if the elliot rodgers/adam lanza cases are more about the negativity that people fear in their own minds rather than what they have personaly heard others aim negativity at autism.

When I start to get to know people I always tell them I am on the spectrum because it helps them better understand my behavior. I do not feel it diminishes me in any way and I say it without any shame or regret.

It is obvious the general population has a negative view of autism. The way to change this pervasive belief among them is to demonstrate our own attitude of complete acceptance of autism as natural and good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom