• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

the 4 As - Autistic, Asexual, Androgynous, Anorexic

iuuyyueww

Would this be a good description of most autistic people ? ?

I definitely notice a correlation with the autistic people I have met. They may not have anorexia but they certainly had a slight problem with eating certain foods.

Would this be a good description of most autistic people ? ?

I definitely notice a correlation with the autistic people I have met. They may not have anorexia but they certainly had a slight problem with eating certain foods.

No, I dont think so.

Even though asexuality and androgyny may be more common in autistic people, they are still a minority of the autistic population.

Anorexia is not at all the same as being a picky eater due to sensory sensitivities or specific needs around sameness and routine. Sensory sensitivities or routines may limit which foods an autistic person eats, but that does not mean the autistic person has no appetite (the basic definition of anorexia) or that they have anxiety or cognitive disortions about eating or body image (a central part of anorexia nervosa). ... I could see how extreme sensory sensitivities or difficulty reading messages from the body (like not registering when you are hungry) could get mixed up with / contribute (or lead) to or complicate anorexia, but I am not convinced that this happens for the majority of autistic people.

Nope. I've never had an eating disorder, I'm not androgynous or asexual. None of these apply to other people I know on the spectrum either, but obviously you would find some people who had all 4.

I'm just no.1, not 2-4. Others I have met didn't meet criteria either.

I'm not asexual, androgynous, or anorexic. I'm very much female and am closer to having binge eating disorder.

I would only relate to Autistic and Asexual. I couldn't relate to androgynous because I'm happy being a female and I don't identify with Anorexia at all. I'm fussy with eating some stuff but these days, I eat quite a lot. I feel Anorexia is a different condition, although I know traits can be quite prevalent in Autistic people. My eating habits are more from a sensory point than anything else.

I can relate to 3 of your "4 A's". I had anorexia in the past, and am still recovering mentally from it. I also am autistic, and maybe asexual.

I've been fat nearly my whole life and fat people can't be anorexic, right?

Actually, when I was still in my 20's I did once lose a lot of weight and was actually thin. But I had to work like a cur at it by walking at least three or four hours every day, working out both at home and at a gym, drinking enough water to float a cruise ship in, and developing a fear of food. But even then I still thought I was fat although photos taken of me at the time show the total opposite, and I even started taking laxatives. Eventually I was tired of living in constant fear of gaining weight and doing things that could have seriously harmed my body so I stopped. AND I GAINED WEIGHT. You can't win.:confounded:

New Threads

Top Bottom