• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

That moment when you have wasted your day being anxious for NOTHING.

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
Ok, so generally, being anxious is for nothing, ie as soon as the thing that one is anxious is over, the anxiety disappears, but I have always just felt a sense of relief.

Had a letter come through the post to say that someone from the electricity board is coming over today ( sent a couple of week's ago). I moan, because of dreading these visits; just hate people coming to my home, but they do tend to come first thing in the morning and are really good about leaving prompto - until today.

I mean: come on! The time stated was between: 12 noon and 4 pm. I guess it is due to visiting everyone and so, that is why the horrible hours. The thing is, I have been on high anxiety ALL DAY and guess what? He or she did not turn up! I seriously been panicking and not getting a lot done, because I hate the idea of being "caught". I need to feel a sense of control, since I jump a mile, when the door bell rings.

I have wasted an entire day and feel sooo angry and frustrated. :mad::(

Completely sympathize with this. I had a similar issue only a week ago. Waiting in vain for a maintenance person to come to fix my kitchen cabinets. Never showed.

And this was the second time I tried to get them to come. Finally on the third attempt they knocked on the right door at the right time and the work was done in just a few minutes. But all the anticipation and stressing up to that point...yes, a waste of energy.

These people are bonded, though I simply won't allow anyone to enter my home unannounced without any supervision. "X-Files, trust no one". :(

Though I also know such things will happen again, and yes, I too will respond accordingly. A vicious cycle of behavior I wish I could talk- and rationalize myself out of. :eek:

This happened to me with an exam: I was told that I need to take history exam to get a teaching license, so I spent two whole weeks frantically cramming the contents of 3 years of schoolbooks, plus the anxiety of having to sit an exam, only to be told later that this wasn't necessary, I only needed to sit the language exam.

Same for me... I get all frustrated when what little control I have of my day gets all mixed up in uncertainties... The worry wagons pull out, and circle in my head. and the "what if's" are running around everywhere like wild horses...

Then the event or situation happens... and afterwards (depending on what happened) I either feel totally exhausted and want to sleep, or feel excited and not knowing what I need to do... now that my day got wrecked...

I think this is part of ASD (maybe OCD???)... in most people. I do not like people, or things to wreck, or take control of what little control I have of any given day... Sounds very selfish, but it's more about I spent a lot of time planning this day to where I could navigate it, and someone just makes a mess of it... Not cool.

Completely sympathize with this. I had a similar issue only a week ago. Waiting in vain for a maintenance person to come to fix my kitchen cabinets. Never showed.

And this was the second time I tried to get them to come. Finally on the third attempt they knocked on the right door at the right time and the work was done in just a few minutes. But all the anticipation and stressing up to that point...yes, a waste of energy.

These people are bonded, though I simply won't allow anyone to enter my home unannounced without any supervision. "X-Files, trust no one". :(

Though I also know such things will happen again, and yes, I too will respond accordingly. A vicious cycle of behavior I wish I could talk- and rationalize myself out of. :eek:

I have no idea if you have ever heard of the movie "The Librarian" it has Noah Wiley in it... It is one of my most favorite movies ever (I dont really like movies but this one is so much like how i think and act)...

It has the line "Trust No one!" The lady he was suppose to meet, her last name is NOONE...
I got it first thing... Trust NO ONE = Trust her... It's a cool movie if your a geek like me... : )

I am also capable of this @Suzanne.

In the past I have wasted many, many, many hours doing the very same thing.

It's only when I have started to question my actions have I brought about a brief pause in the whole process.

I'm focusing mainly on the toxic (not literal) effects of those thinking patterns.
The neurochemical cocktail I'm drip feeding into my system which in turn affects my mood and keeps it there.

I call those many, many, many hours I've spent doing this "wasted" but writing this to you, I'm starting to see them as useful data, for want of a better word.

I know I am capable of being exactly where yourself, Judge, Progster and Chance find themselves during this situation.

But do I want to be "there"?

Nope.
:)

Been there, done that... Nods head... I have a bad tendency to worry about all sorts of things, most of them not all that important...

I always dread people coming to my house too.

The only thing worse than them being late or a NO SHOW.... is if they're half an hour early!

Luckily here there are so few people, that we know who is who, and so when I need something phone, cable, plumbing, electrical I usually just go on about my life and they come in and fix whatever it is while I'm at work, or whatever.

I guess that is one of the few amenities of living in a very close knit rural community. It's still more like a modern day Mayberry here in many ways... but there always has to be the Barnies and Goobers - and these days the Barnies and Goobers are more attitude than goofy, but it's still okay... Just keep my family away and all is good... : )

I never received the work order.:D

Seriously, I know how you feel. A few years ago I called a cable company to have cable TV installed. They scheduled a time frame between X and X on a certain day. I took the day off and waited, and waited, and waited . . . They never showed up. The following day I called the cable company to inquire and complain and was told they had overbooked, but the installer would be out that day. I told them to forget it, as I was supposed to have cable the day before and was not going to take another day off to accommodate THEIR schedule. The waiting and waiting proved to be too stressful for me to want to reschedule.
Very annoying. They could at least have phoned you to tell you they weren't going to make it. I hate it when I have to wait around the house for couriers or whoever to come to my house, when I don't know what time they are going to come. I need to have a specific time, or at least, know that it is going to be between one time and another. I'm busy, I've got stuff to do. I need to plan my day. I can't just put my day on hold for them because they can't give me an accurate time that they can call. They can't expect people to do that. I don't see why they can't phone when they are about to set off for my house - then, at least, I can get on with doing something else in the meantime.

Ugh, i hate when that happens! Anxiety can be really frustrating and it sucks when it kills your productivity and time. But maybe try thinking about it like this: You were preparing yourself for a stressful situation, and the situation didn't happen according to how you prepared to address it.that doesn't necessarily mean you wasted your time, it just means that the situation unfolded differently than what you could have expected (or at least, that's just my advice, don't take it too seriously) These things happen and they suck, but we all survive, right? Also i totally get the caught feeling, paying random strangers to come into your house and mess with your things is not a fun scenario, even if they need to be there.

Poor thing,:( I suffer anxiety and its is an awful lot of unwanted worrying over nothing* it shall pass..keep saying it shall pass. easier said than done. o_O

They were supposed to come from the local Fire service yesterday afternoon to fit a new Fire safety system at my Flat (Apartment to Americans) they didn't come, but they're coming at 14.00 GMT today after my Dad spent an hour on the phone to them yesterday afternoon, because they rang yesterday morning at 09.02 AM to "confirm" that they were coming that afternoon, i rang up when I got back from my course to confirm, they denied all knowledge of making the initial appointment! Seriously, WTF?!

Also, about 7 years ago I was training for my purple belt grading in Japanese Karate, everyone was raving about how it was a BIG step towards black belt, and I was very nervous anyway so this made me even more so! Consequently on the day of the grading I froze in front of the Sensei and failed because I was that nervous I forgot all my moves.

Not one of my finest moments.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom