• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thank you for this forum!

TempeFan

It's Thanksgiving Day in the USA. IMO, having something to be thankful for is a good thing so I shall observe the tradition. Luckily, this year, I finally have access to something new to add to the very short list of stuff available to me over the last half a century. So, yes, I'm going to do it.

Thank you for this forum!

For the first time in my life I have access to the comraderie of like minded people, who like myself, would rather elevate themselves by being themselves, instead of by tearing down other people. Conversation here is not just a ritual where you have to guess the correct lie to be heard and accepted. All points of view are valid. We can share ideas and new insights and perspective and humor, experiences, knowledge, etc. Doing so calms my overactive brain, like cranberry juice calms my overactive bladder. It doesn't fix the problem but it makes a big difference. Now these conditions only plague me twice a night for hours instead of all night for no sleep.

Here I can tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, even state the obvious, without overwhelming consequences. Yes, I am still being stalked by bullies in here, but only like 2% of the time instead of 98% IRL. With Asperger's blinding me to social cues, I am constantly being blindsided by people who ask me for the true facts when they are not willing to deal with the topic they asked me about and desperately need advice on. My poor little Aspy brain can't understand why someone would ask a question that they don't want the answer to but I am aware of the phenomena that most people do so. I've noticed most people only want to reinforce and gain accord for their agenda, even when they are certain it is just a fantasy or a very evil thing.

Intelligent, caring, understanding people do exist, even when they are a state, a nation or a continent away. It thrills and surprises me, especially the young people who get it - and give it. I'm getting good practice conversating with some one other than myself and my cats. I'm learning how to reel in my TMI, thanks to good advice and examples from Quinn and Company. Getting a mega dose of alphabet soup learning the lingo HFA, ASD, PDD-NOS, DSM,etc. I even added a few new words to my over cluttered vocabulary like comorbidity and alexithymia and my new personal favorite: CRAPTASTIC, thanks @Misery. Thanks @Pats and, well, everybody else for talking with me!!!

With this thread, I invite you to tell me what you are grateful for about this forum.

I think this is a great idea.

I am thankful for this forum because it helps me deal with depression and loneliness. I find reading on here to be informative and fun. It is also full off kind and smart people.
So thank you I guess for helping me cope with issues and keeping hope for a brighter future!

And I love all the cats on here, cats are amazing!

Good people, intelligent conversation, no need to mask. Even in the short time I've been here and making videos, the people of this forum have helped my understanding so much and made my work better.
I've not come across a community quite like it before.

Friendly people, many who are like me. And it runs well on my slow internet connection, I'm especially thankful for that.

I've spent the day recovering from the last 2 days. :) I wish I had been on here more today and said sooner how much you all mean to me. In the few months I have been here has made such a difference in my life. I feel connected to you of all ages and all locations, where I can't connect to those close by.
Thanks @TempeFan for starting this thread.
I'm also most thankful for my grandchildren and my children and for the 61 years I've had.

I was going to make a thread just like this eventually! I didn't realize it's connection to Thanksgiving at first! :eek:

I am so grateful for everyone here! Thanksgiving is a time where we're (I'm) reminded that our (my) family is completely nuts, which allows us to be more grateful for everything that isn't our (my) family!

Thank you! :):D:rolleyes:;):cool:

Last edited:
I'm thankful for a place where I don't have to pretend to be someone I'm not.

I'm thankful for a place where I don't have to brace myself for a deluge of abuse simply for saying something at all.

I'm thankful for the place that, over the years, has taught me who I am. Seriously, when I first got diagnosed I knew about as much as anyone else what "autism" or being autistic actually meant. I'm thankful that I came here to find out, because I could've easily been mislead otherwise and might have a very different idea of who I am today.

And of course, I'm thankful for everyone here who makes it happen :)

I'm thankful for this forum because it helps my loneliness and feeling sad because I have no friends and have trouble talking to people in real life. It also helps me with my conversation skills in real life, I actually said "How are you" to a teacher today, even though she didn't reply :eek: (which is excellent for me, I have heaps of trouble with talking to people face to face) and it is all because of this amazing forum where I can talk to lots of people without stressing about the face to face stuff and make conversation! And I can actually be myself on here without having to feel too nervous. So, thank you so much all the people and staff who run these forums, and people who come on here, you're all great!

"Everything everybody else already said."

Also...
This is the only group of people that I have ever had, who are able to carry on an intelligent, interesting conversation, maintain interest and focus, and by amalgamation of opinion and information, move closer to understanding, more or less as a whole.

As I have said elsewhere, this forum and you who comprise it, moderate it, and administrate, are the most amazing people I have met.
Like it or not, you prove our strengths
with your very presence.

I am very thankful to have...
Friends With SuperPowers!!!

I'm very thankful to have you all.

May you all be well.

sidd

Feeling the same as the others above.
I knew nothing of autism when I was diagnosed a few years ago.
If I hadn't have found this forum, I probably would still not understand or have the knowledge of
myself that I do.
Therapists don't do much to help me understand, just how to survive and give kudos on when you do.

Here I have found so many people like myself and yet differences that we can all talk about.
It helps with my depression and lonliness. Having no one in RL to be able to talk with without
feeling they just don't care or I must put on that mask of being happy. No being just myself allowed.
Talk must be of only certain matters with what few people I know in RL.
Here the mask comes off and there are so many varied subjects and we care for trying to
help one another.

New Threads

Top Bottom