• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Temple Grandin, Sarcasm and Thinking in Pictures

Divrom

V.I.P Member
So, I've just found out that my theory of why we handle sarcasm differently (a better thing to say than, "autistics don't get sarcasm") contradicts Temple Grandin.

I was looking for a reason that explained why some across the spectrum don't get sarcasm, whilst also recognising that some Aspies are actually extremely sarcastic. What I concluded was that we can detect all of the different levels of communication in a sentence and often don't know which to select.

However, Temple Grandin suggests it's about us "thinking in pictures". That just does not ring true for me, at all.

What about you?

If anything, I'd say I'm very much focused on words. I.e. not pictures.

So, doesn't her theory fail, because it cannot account for the issue across the spectrum? However, mine might be accurate, as it's perhaps better at explaining why some *do* get what NT mean by sarcasm and some *don't*.

NB: I only came back to this today, because I was thinking about the nonsense stereotype that Aspies aren't empathetic. I suspect tht actually, we could feel a lot more on all on all kinds of levels, so to protect against overwhelm, we often switch-off. It seems that this multi-layered explanation might explain all kinds of things.

I didn't get sarcasm for a long time, that is, until I figured out what "tone" meant. Inflections in voice typically give it away.

Regarding empathy: I think I am extremely empathetic, but I "choose" not to engage most of the time as a protective measure. I've never heard anyone else describe it as such until now. My husband thought I was full of **** when I told him that many years ago. It is so overwhelming that I need to distance myself, otherwise I'd be an emotional wreck all the time.

I think the seeing multiple levels is more accurate for me on the sarcasm thing. But sometimes I can't tell for certain, I think they might be sarcastic but I am not sure, then I wonder is it a dig at me or are they just being funny. I don't want to assume that they are making fun of me, because if they aren't then that would lead to other issues, so while I am considering all these things, the moment to respond in a socially acceptable way if I knew of one, has passed.

I think I am very empathetic, sometimes i can't tell what is wrong with someone, i can just tell that something is wrong. I get very overwhelmed and often scared.

I understand sarcasm just fine, and often reply sarcastically to sarcasm. The funny thing is that people often mistake my sarcasm for sincerity/honesty/gullibility. For example, my sister will say something like "Joey! Mom said we have to take out the trash, so get in[the trash bag]!" To which I will respond(sarcastically), "I can't. The bag isn't big enough." After which, my sister will sigh loudly, and say, "I'm being sarcastic, dummy!", at which point I will simply say, "I know."

Then she gets an odd look on her face.

I think people often mistake my sarcasm for sincerity because although I can pick up the inflection used in sarcasm, I rarely reproduce the inflection of voice in my own sarcastic remarks. The effort involved in doing so is just too high, I feel.

I'm about 50/50 on understanding and effectively using sarcasm. The problem I seem to have delivering it is that I'm so straight faced that people don't realize I'm being facetious, kind of like what Wessicht is saying.

I didn't realize until I was maybe a teenager that not everyone thinks in pictures. I remember my dad saying something about what language he thinks in and I was completely floored, it had never occurred to me that people used words when they didn't have to. The only time I think with words is when I'm trying to think of what to say to a person (like rehearsing an unpleasant conversation or email before I have to express it).

The only way I can remember anything is by seeing a picture of it. I remember phone numbers, street names, or even text by seeing a picture of the numbers, street sign, or the page in my mind. I thought everyone was like this until I was a teenager and tried to explain something once. It didn't go very well. I created my own way to learn in school and study for tests through a visual method. I think most people on the autism spectrum develop their own strategies for remembering.

However, Temple Grandin suggests it's about us "thinking in pictures".

She explained that there are different ways of thinking in autistic people and not all of them are visual thinkers.

I'm a visual thinker and do not get any kind of nuances in spoken language, however I do understand sarcasm, irony etc. in written form. Not always at the first shot, so I prefer an emoticon or a remark, but eventually I can decipher the meaning.

I am empathetic to animals. Not to humans.

She explained that there are different ways of thinking in autistic people and not all of them are visual thinkers.

I'm a visual thinker and do not get any kind of nuances in spoken language, however I do understand sarcasm, irony etc. in written form. Not always at the first shot, so I prefer an emoticon or a remark, but eventually I can decipher the meaning.

I am empathetic to animals. Not to humans.

I wish more people were empathetic to animals.

So, I've just found out that my theory of why we handle sarcasm differently (a better thing to say than, "autistics don't get sarcasm") contradicts Temple Grandin.

I was looking for a reason that explained why some across the spectrum don't get sarcasm, whilst also recognising that some Aspies are actually extremely sarcastic. What I concluded was that we can detect all of the different levels of communication in a sentence and often don't know which to select.

However, Temple Grandin suggests it's about us "thinking in pictures". That just does not ring true for me, at all.

What about you?

If anything, I'd say I'm very much focused on words. I.e. not pictures.

So, doesn't her theory fail, because it cannot account for the issue across the spectrum? However, mine might be accurate, as it's perhaps better at explaining why some *do* get what NT mean by sarcasm and some *don't*.

NB: I only came back to this today, because I was thinking about the nonsense stereotype that Aspies aren't empathetic. I suspect tht actually, we could feel a lot more on all on all kinds of levels, so to protect against overwhelm, we often switch-off. It seems that this multi-layered explanation might explain all kinds of things.

I've read a couple of Temple Grandins books and found them very educational, though I didn't agree with absolutely everything she said either, but then she's just speaking from her own experience, though admittedly she's also been around a lot of people with AS/ASD.
I've also found the books of others to be similar.
Maybe, because we Aspies/Auties are all so different, many would find a little that didn't apply to them specifically.. :)

I like temple grandin and think she has some good insight about caring for kids with autism.

Sarcasm is so so for me. Sometimes I get it and sometimes i don't. Other times, I speak with way too much sarcasm and get weird looks.

I can transmit sarcasm for the most part, but I can't receive it well. Weird to go through life for so many years and never really give it a thought.

In working the problem with self-awareness the main thing I've tried to do is just not be sarcastic in my own interest. If I can't properly process it incoming, it stands to reason not to be sarcastic and risk it being aimed at me.

Ditto. I'm very sarcastic, but some people don't get my sarcasm, unless they know me. I'm very bad at detecting it though. I don't get it. Wires crossed or something like that.

Incoming sarcasm is always the same for me. Puzzlement followed by the feeling that I've just been insulted. Yeah...crossed wires. Go figure. :eek:

Temple rocks!

My thoughts are in images, sounds, scents, movements, energy as mental sensory experiences. Other peoples' thoughts may be in narrative form, but as mine are sensory, I have to first translate them before speaking. It feels a challenging extra step in struggling to communicate.

Words: As a child, I learned to speak because I noticed patterns in words and saw them as intriguing things to play with. I did not learn to speak to communicate to others or to get my needs met, this really didn't occur to me. I deeply loved those in my life, but conversation wasn't a goal. Companionship beats conversation in my book.

Sarcasm goes right over my head. I'm admittedly clueless in that regard. D'oh!

Sometimes I get sarcasm, sometimes I don't. If I get to know a person well, I learn to recognise sarcasm in that person. Or I realise that it's sarcasm because the sentence is illogical, but I don't realise it until later. I think both in words and in pictures. Usually, the pictures come before the words, so I have to think of how to describe in words the picture that I see that represents what I want to say.

New Threads

Top Bottom