• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Telling parents

juffur

V.I.P Member
Hey everyone,

Ok, so I am going to tell my dad about Asperger's Syndrome and the other social phobia / OCD problems I've been having. I'm incredibly nervous about doing it. My father isn't exactly the most understanding of persons, so I have no idea how this will go. My goal is to get help from him so I can use his health insurance to find a psychologist.

Does anyone have recommendations for how I should do this? any advice? Has anyone else done this before? Did it go well?

What I'd do is explain to him in full detail what these disorders are so that he can hopefully gain a better understanding of them; educate him. I'd point him to various links online that explain them well. I likely wouldn't point him to Wikipedia pages as I've stumbled across better pages which explain medical disorders much better than Wikipedia, but you could send him over to Wikipedia pages in addition to other resource pages. If your dad's ignorant as to what the disorders are without gaining much understanding about them, he may not buy that you really have them. So educating your dad on these things is essential. Once he's educated about them, even if he's not the most understanding guy, he'll likely still try to find help for you.

This is my opinion, but I suggest that you also make sure your dad doesn't tell anyone about your conditions as lots of people out there don't bother looking into disorders and simply apply their preconceived notions about them. Some people might hear "autism" and have false beliefs about you before even getting to know you and will talk down to you and/or will try to manipulate you. I no longer tell people outside of my immediate family about my disorders, but I urge you that if you do tell your immediate family, make sure they won't start telling everyone they meet about your disorders as it could have dire consequences.

I would say go for it. If he accepts it and you eventually find a pyschologist through his insurance then that's a great outcome. If he doesn't, then at least you tried. Just follow what ??? said above.

I just tried making an appointment with his insurance, but there is a $1000 deductible.... so basically I can't use his insurance. He was just laid off from work. How am I supposed to pay for that large of a deductible?

New Threads

Top Bottom