• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tell me something quirky about your house

Full Steam

The renegade master
V.I.P Member
I have a wooden salt and pepper grinder set.

Both have sea salt in them

I don't remember why I did that but they've been like that for years.

I have a four foot, wooden carved cat that serves no practical function. It isn't even that accurate a representation of a cat and not that pleasant to look at but it gets shifted from room to room where there may be space.

The only place it hasn't been to date is in the downstairs loo or the loft.
Solid wood, too heavy to lift into loft.

Not even sure why we still have it but have had it for years.

I have a gigantic coal/wood stove from the 1920's, in my kitchen, that I rarely use. I've cooked and baked in it when we've had power failures. My Gram taught me how to use it, it requires that put you pieces of wood in it, and build up the heat for three hours until there's a high bed of hot coals. Then you put in many hardwood sticks to make it truly hot. Then you can bake something in it's oven. You measure the heat in the oven by holding your hands over the oven door, apparently. I use a digital oven thermometer.

Last edited:
... You measure the heat in the oven by holding your hands over the oven door, apparently.../QUOTE]

I love this :D
Back in Gram's day this was how common sense was built.
This was exactly the reason we evolved with a fantastic central nervous system.
A science lesson with blisters.
:D

The swimming pool enclosure is a frog apartment complex.
002.JPG
Frogs.jpg

When I first met my now wife, her introduction to my apartment was a pile of used bricks stacked in my hallway near the kitchen. She was slightly incredulous so I told her it was modern art! The truth was I had smashed a hole through the yard wall so my cat could get from one side to the other in style, unlike other cats who have to jump :)
They had been there for months and I'd got used used to them, she said that was strange, I said they would be useful one day!

In the back garden is a wheelbarrow full of concrete attached to two lengths of washing line cord tied around some fence posts in order to stop the fence blowing down in the high winds.

I remove the brands of the packaging of every product that I can, so I don't have to read it. It eliminates visual clutter.
I also throw away boxes and only keep the bag inside for the same reason (ex. cereal boxes).

Attachments

• IMG_8618.JPG
    IMG_8618.JPG
    302.6 KB · Views: 0
My mum, sister and I have a really ugly clock (I mean, really hideous) that my sister won in a raffle and we hide in each other's bedrooms or around the house as a kind of game. During the game, the actual time-telling part of the clock fell off and got lost so now it's just an ugly non-clock being moved around.

I remove the brands of the packaging of every product that I can, so I don't have to read it. It eliminates visual clutter.
I also throw away boxes and only keep the bag inside for the same reason (ex. cereal boxes).

How do you know what's what?

My pantry already looks like a food jumble sale with weird things lurking in there.

It's s cluttered it's horrible.

How do you know what's what?

My pantry already looks like a food jumble sale with weird things lurking in there.

It's s cluttered it's horrible.
Believe me, you just know :).
I almost don't buy canned food, that can in the pic is powedered milk, and is the only one that I have. I guess it doesn't work if you buy a lot of canned items. For the rest, you'll see that you recognize the shape of almost everything (including hygiene items ) . I also put loose food (nuts, dry fruit, oatmeal, etc) in glass containers, so no problem recognizing what's what.

Last edited:
Believe me, you just know :).
I almost don't buy canned food, that can in the pic is powedered milk, and is the only one that I have. I guess it doesn't work if you buy a lot of canned items. For the rest, you'll see that you recognize the shape of almost everything (including hygiene items ) . I also put loose food (nuts, dry fruit, oatmeal, etc) in glass containers, so no problem recognizing what's what.

I see. I hardly buy cans either and they are the experimental cans of weird beans or beetroot that lurks for years before being thrown away.

Maybe lucky dip might improve the chance of being consumed.

I also do the glass jar thing. After my wife saw a friends beautifully organised pantry full of jars.

Now we have jars, ramped in amongst all the mess and clutter.

I'd worry about getting fruit flies in there, but I doubt they could find anything either.

Don't fix cupboard doors or draws. I Stand it against the gap. it should be hinged.
Just move it then Put it back.. but I keep knocking it over repeatedly when cooking. Sometimes when on Auto-flinch I can stop it falling back, end up one one foot, tip toed.. while turning Egg's and catch the coffee jar I knocked over. Like a Norman wisdom and 'dash' from the invincibles in one.

New Threads

Top Bottom