• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tehcnology warning

No offense, but you seem to spend a bit too much time with all these articles. I keep sensing an extreme focus on them, based on the nature of the overall trend of topics you post about. Right now, it seems like the psychological hooks to create addiction are very firmly in place, based on how much you post about all these articles. Which, of course, is the entire bloody point, in the view of those that design these sorts of sites.

Considering that it's all drivel that comes from the internet, the great bastion of chaos where anything goes and there are no rules and nonsense flies around in all directions, constantly exposing yourself to it aint exactly a good thing.

Might be a good idea to take a complete break from this stuff for awhile. Take it from someone who already made this mistake before: It only leads to a dark place for you, if you keep walking that path. Believe me, you dont want to go there.

Put the screen/phone/laptop/whatever down for a week or two. Or a month. Might do you some good, whereas reading these all the time certainly wont.

There is always the matter of ethics to consider here, @Aspergers_Aspie, which is always an important one and which can act as a failsafe when pursuing and attempting to advance our scientific & technological endeavours.

No offense, but you seem to spend a bit too much time with all these articles. I keep sensing an extreme focus on them, based on the nature of the overall trend of topics you post about. Right now, it seems like the psychological hooks to create addiction are very firmly in place, based on how much you post about all these articles. Which, of course, is the entire bloody point, in the view of those that design these sorts of sites.

Considering that it's all drivel that comes from the internet, the great bastion of chaos where anything goes and there are no rules and nonsense flies around in all directions, constantly exposing yourself to it aint exactly a good thing.

Might be a good idea to take a complete break from this stuff for awhile. Take it from someone who already made this mistake before: It only leads to a dark place for you, if you keep walking that path. Believe me, you dont want to go there.

Put the screen/phone/laptop/whatever down for a week or two. Or a month. Might do you some good, whereas reading these all the time certainly wont.
It has a name - doomscrolling. Also doomsurfing.

The world is not ending. Problems arise and people have a tendency to deal with them when they hit crisis level, not before. The larger the affected population, the more this is true. The results are not as pretty as we might like but we muddle through.

We live in a blessed world today. I grew up wondering whether we were all going to die in a nuclear fireball. Dodged that bullet and there's no reason to believe we won't dodge the next one. The main thing we have to fear is fear itself.

I never did like AI.
When I was five, I somehow knew about intelligent robots.
I don't even want a smartphone. The world is pushing us to need them.
But, I will resist as long as possible.

Climate change is ugly and holds difficult potentials.

These topics are real, but, I don't worry about them.
Change is going to happen as life goes on and it's fueled by the herd of humanity.
Whether it is change I like or change I don't.

Maybe I just don't like AI. Like some do not like clowns.

robotic.jpg
Pathetic.

In truth, in everything that is in this world, too much is....too much and that also applies to technology.

Sorry to have upset/offended you with Internet drivel

Nah, that's not it. I dont think anyone here is offended at all, or bothered. If I was offended/bothered/irritated, it'd be REALLY obvious, as I'm not one to hold back. But that's not the case.

Instead, I posted it out of concern, since I see the signs of what I know to be a trend that can get very bad.

If I can prevent someone from having to go through what I went through as a result of this very same thing, that's what gets me to make a post like that. It's worth the attempt.

And that's why I suggest putting the device down, and stepping away from it for maybe a couple of weeks. You'll be surprised, at just how good it might make you feel. You might find that you have some important realizations too, as a result.

I made the mistake of buying one of McKibben's books, "Eaarth", at a thrift store. While his argument that climate change is gonna happen whether we like it or not may be solid, the book was one big long doomscroll of how life on earth is DOOMED by climate change. And he doesn't even give any solutions other than "grow a garden", right after he writes a long treatise on how climate change supposedly means that humans will no longer be able to grow food. TL;DR McKibben is a jerk who writes climate doomery to make money.

What has this person accurately predicted that was not already obvious? Most of what he wrote 30 years ago has not come to pass, yet he is still listened to. I have dealt with this sort of thing for years regarding climate change and more recently COVID-19. They say "listen to the science." Much of what is reported in the news are "scientific" studies that were designed from the outset to come to a predetermined conclusion (usually for political reasons). !!!THIS!!!IS!!!NOT!!!SCIENCE!!! Don't listen to predictions unless the predictor tells you exactly why this prediction is valid and what actual facts were used to come to that conclusion. All else is just noise.

I apologize for the rant, but every once in a while the dam breaks and I have to let it out. I actually toned down my response quite bit.

Last edited:
What has this person accurately predicted that was not already obvious? Most of what he wrote 30 years ago has not come to pass, yet he is still listened to. I have dealt with this sort of thing for years regarding climate change and more recently COVID-19. They say "listen to the science." Much of what is reported in the news are "scientific" studies that were designed from the outset to come to a predetermined conclusion (usually for political reasons). !!!THIS!!!IS!!!NOT!!!SCIENCE!!! Don't listen to predictions unless the predictor tells you exactly why this prediction is valid and what actual fats were used to come to that conclusion. All else is just noise.

I apologize for the rant, but every once in a while the dam breaks and I have to let it out. I actually toned down my response quite bit.

Something I keep repeating all the time that goes along with this: The "news" isnt out to inform you, it is out to PROFIT from you. It exists to funnel ads at you, and uses all sorts of psychological trickery (which includes deliberately creating anxiety and fearmongering) to get you to tune in more (and thus get exposed to more ads, seriously that's the entire freaking point). And as for articles on the internet, well... do I even need to say anything? The Net is an amazing thing, but often it's amazing for all the wrong reasons. Dont trust the Net. Just dont.

I learned quite awhile ago that following the news is a total waste of time, and the only articles I read are specifically related to my various special interests (and sometimes even THOSE are a bit iffy). Since you're right, pretty much everything else is just noise.

I say, get out there and EXPERIENCE the freaking world rather than dealing with ad-infected news broadcasts and articles and whatnot. I love computers and tech but so many people are so stuck to their devices and TVs that they may as well just staple the blasted things onto their faces.

New Threads

Top Bottom