• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Teddybears and stuffed animals?

Warmheart

Something nerdy this way comes
V.I.P Member
Have you a teddy or stuffy to snuggle with at night, or when life gets a bit overwhelming? Does this seem to be a sensory comfort for you? Does the stuffy need to be a certain size, plushness, material, gender, style, "character," or weight?

Does having a stuffy which meets your sensory needs help you cope?

Uh... asking "for a friend." ;)

before I got my kitten (living stuffy!), I periodically relied on a fluffy micro-fiber-y moose, affectionately named Morton.

he stood guard on my bed during the day, but I would only cuddle him in times of great distress or sadness. he was very plush and soft and was therefore good for squeezing... and for catching and soaking up any errant tears. he was also moderately sized (probably 10-12 inches tall? but since he's plush he didn't stand up straight, he slouched), and I always liked how he was sort of cartoonish. his head was disproportionately larger than his body..... especially when compared to a real moose.

.... I realize now that I'm using the past tense, as if Morton went off to stuffy heaven or something. he's still around, but I had to stash him in the closet because the kitten likes to eat him. :)

image.jpg

before I got my kitten (living stuffy!), I periodically relied on a fluffy micro-fiber-y moose, affectionately named Morton.

he stood guard on my bed during the day, but I would only cuddle him in times of great distress or sadness. he was very plush and soft and was therefore good for squeezing... and for catching and soaking up any errant tears. he was also moderately sized (probably 10-12 inches tall? but since he's plush he didn't stand up straight, he slouched), and I always liked how he was sort of cartoonish. his head was disproportionately larger than his body..... especially when compared to a real moose.

.... I realize now that I'm using the past tense, as if Morton went off to stuffy heaven or something. he's still around, but I had to stash him in the closet because the kitten likes to eat him. :)

View attachment 19975
For some reason you have made me cry, probably because of the beautifulness of the moose. I would like to have one like that. I haven't thought of that way to be able to get out the anxiety inside me. I will probably get my bunny that I forgout about like 2 years ago. By the way, your moose looks like a muffin, huggable.
I also have a cat, but our relationship isn't so close, she doesn't come to sleep with me, she sleeps with my mother.

Good night and thank you for sharing the response
Sorry if my response has disturbed you
Nacho

Stuffed critters are indoor pets that don't poop. :p

Mine are all back at my parents' house, but I used to sleep with two. They were both companion and pillow. The big ol' reindeer felt good on my back, and after I moved I used a normal pillow in his place. Still miss him though, he was fuzzy.

I don't believe I have ever been in a position I could admit this freely. Why yes I do. I do not "snuggle" though. I had a koala I received when I was a kid. Never was a snuggle pal but he went everywhere with me in my pack. By the time I was in college he was a bit worn out and some "friends" thought it would be funny to tear him up. My husband (then boyfriend) went to build a bear and had a monkey made for me just how I would like it with hardly any stuffing so hes very floppy and he finished college with me. I don't bring him with me any more. (I stopped carrying a bag after college) He does hang out with us quite a bit though I still don't really "snuggle".

I got rid of all of my stuffed animals when I was a teen, but in my early 20s really started to feel the need to hug something. I had two dogs at the time, but even they got sick of the attention. My brother got me a big stuffed dog with floppy ears. Sad to say, whenever I sleep with him he usually ends up wedged between the bed and my wall, so he is mostly for deccoration these days.

I also have a couple of teddy bears, one from a psychotic ex and an other one named after surgion. Perhaps that's a bit creepy, but, it's not their fault they are attached to my life traumas.

My latest aquesition is a big plushie octopus who I am tentatively calling "Captain Valgaris", until I can think of something better. He currently presides over my bedroom, pearched atop a large conch shell.

Last edited:
I've had the same bunny since I was a kid. I also have a few my little pony studies because I think they're adorable and i recently got this teddy bear to snuggle during a long time away from my partner. The teddy is on top of my actual dog who is also great to snuggle!
ImageUploadedByAspiesCentral.com1440143052.007424.jpg

So the short answer is yes, yes I do. No shame in it! :)!

When I was a child, I used to have a large collection of stuffed animals that I built an imaginary world out of. Each animal had a name, personality, "voice", and role in the story. I threw away all my stuffies as a teenager. Then, when I got into my twenties, I started to miss playing pretend with my stuffed animals, so I spent a huge amount of money on designer stuffed animals in a misguided attempt to relive my childhood. Even though I never bonded with any of these stuffed animals, I kept buying more and more hoping that "this time, it'll be different." But it just wasn't the same anymore. Even hugging them wasn't comforting to me anymore. I still have fond memories of the stuffed animals I owned in childhood, but nothing in adulthood could ever replace them.

JuniperBug I actually thought that your dog was a plushie until I read the post, lol :D

I used to have about 8 soft toys in the bed lined down each side to make a tunnel when I was a child, but I don't do this now :)

I used to have a huge collection of cuddlies, when I was a child I would fit as many into bed with me as possible, because I liked being squished in the middle of all that fluffyness, and it protected me from monsters (especially Lenny the giant lion). Sadly most got sent to charity shops when my parents moved house a few years ago.

I now have a few that I kept for sentimental reasons which live with my parents, a crocodile (my childhood favourite) who I rest my feet on when I sleep to spare my dodgy ankles, and koala who always travels with me, he's been to 12 different countries now I think. I find that cuddling koala cures homesickness and always makes me feel secure in strange places, and his shape makes him an excellent pillow, his arms and legs stick out and fit around my head like one of those travel pillows that hook around your neck. He is also useful for distracting annoying small children on aeroplanes.

When I was growing up, as long back as I can remember, I had a Winnie the Pooh that I had with me everywhere I went. When I got a little older he went to bed with me or I held him when feeling bad. I had him until I lost him in a move when I was about 25. I was devastated. I thought all these years he was lost for good. About a year ago, my sister was doing a little cleaning and he was found. Yes! She sent him to me and he holds a prominent place in my bedroom. I no longer snuggle with him. He is old and fragile. I do find my self waking in the night cuddling my pillow. During the day when things get over whelming I have a blanket that helps a lot. I think it is okay to have something that calms down my senses.

I have a small white stuffed monkey, appropriately named Sick Monkey, because I was given him when I had a bad flu as a young child. He sits by my bed in case I start feeling sick. (he's been washed many times!)

I play and sleep with all my stuffed critters. They make me happy when I am having a bad day. Helps with other things though as well.

I have a hard time sleeping with other objects in my bed but I have a heavy weighted blanket that I love to sleep with. It helps me relax and it's a big comfort for me.

10563142_699576143458636_7339417894001045632_n.jpg

Throughout my childhood, my friendship circle consisted of cute, mute, fluffy ones. :p
The guy you see above is the one I've had an attachment to the longest of all the bears I've had. :)
These days, I am fortunate to have good human friends, though they are all very aware of my bears. :p

I still have all of my stuffed animals from when I was a kid, but there's a special teddy bear that I still sleep with. I just need that feeling of comfort.

This is Bear. Like me, he's just about to turn 30. He goes everywhere with me.
uploadfromtaptalk1440213257958.jpg
and that's Moglet, who goes nowhere with me and currently hates me for going away for a week and making her stay with my granny. Can't win them all I suppose, but it does seem that non - sentient fluffy things are far nicer to me!

When I was a kid, I had an array of toys that went to bed with me, and to which I was very attached. My favourite was a rabbit made of toweling, though I don't think the material really mattered as others were a hard rubber, others fluffy. They were my friends (along with the chooks, but I couldn't take them to bed). Most have finally been passed on (well past their use by date) but I think I still have my rabbit somewhere. These days I have a wife to cuddle instead :)

My oldest son was never into bed toys with one exception. I have a photo of him in bed (maybe age 3 or 4) snuggling his hard plastic megablock man. He's our engineer who has to know how everything works.

My youngest son is into animals and fluffy things. He used to pick fluff out of toys and clamp it in his index finger as he sucked his thumb. Now as we head home to NZ, we have to take part of his zoo home but some has been passed on to some other boys we know.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom