• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Teacher could easily tell i have mild autism.

Jordy

I was in a video call with my dutch teacher today, about 10 minutes in she asked me if it was possible that i had Asperger or a form of mild autism, she said something about being able to tell from the manner in which i ask questions. She also said that it's not a problem and that there are a number of students with that condition in engineering fields. I did not realize people notice it within 10 minutes of meeting me.

Last edited:
I was in a video call with my dutch teacher today, about 10 minutes in she asked me if it was possible that i had Asperger or a form of mild autism, she said something about being able to tell from the manner in which i ask questions. She also said that it's not a problem and that are a number of students with that condition in engineering fields. I did not realize people notice it within 10 minutes of meeting me.

I got noticed as autistic when I was working at a coffee shop--by a teacher.

It blows my mind that people go so long sometimes without a diagnosis.

I agree with your teacher, we are not hard to pick out.

Yes perhaps, but why are some people only diagnosed later in life and what about the females who seem to be under-diagnosed. it must be hard for some people to identify us

I think, if you’re aware of what to look for, it’s easier to spot. I think newer generations of teachers receive more education on neurodiversity too. At least, my teacher friends in the Netherlands have all had it addressed during their studies. And they are very happy to ask me questions to improve their understanding of autism :)

Individuals with training can spot us easily, I was undiagnosed until we went to marriage counseling when I was 36. 10 minutes in the councilor asked if I had ever been tested for autism.

Some people are just very perceptive. You type normal enough to me. I can spot people also who show the slightest traits. There are many cues that can give you away.

I was asked that by several teachers when I was in school. Even when I’m not asked, it seems that nearly everyone can tell at least that something’s “off” about me right away, no matter what I do or don’t do. I’ve never had my diagnosis questioned and have only gotten the “you must be mild” comment once in my life (and I’m female). Yet I still get held to NT expectations by anyone who knows me enough to expect anything from meo_O Worst of both worlds, I guess.

my family is full of undiagnosed including myself, I can spot us easily, but then I can also read NT's it's all about body language and facial expressions. We all have different abilities. This is how Temple Gradin reads animals. I did not diagnose myself being older, now that I know what to look for it is easy, and also so obvious in myself.

Last edited:
I was in a video call with my dutch teacher today, about 10 minutes in she asked me if it was possible that i had Asperger or a form of mild autism, she said something about being able to tell from the manner in which i ask questions. She also said that it's not a problem and that are a number of students with that condition in engineering fields. I did not realize people notice it within 10 minutes of meeting me.

That's a trained eye. ;) Good for your teacher. :) I am also an instructor,...and I too, can pick out my autistic "brothers and sisters" once I deal with them in the classroom/lab situation,...but I have a trained eye. I will make some attempt to connect with them and help them out with how they like to learn.

Just for perspective,...most people,...even health care workers, physicians, teachers, and parents,...are NOT good at recognizing the tell-tale behaviors and thought patterns of someone with Asperger's condition. They may sense the subtleties of "something is off" or perhaps have social/communication difficulties with us,...but most have no idea of who they are dealing with. I'm living proof of that.

Mostly I think that it's people with some specific experience or training in recognising autism can do this, I agree that it's not my experience that most counsellors or therapists can, unless they have been specifically trained, which again, with well targeted training, doesn't have to be extensive to be effective.

On the other hand, seems clear plenty of people allegedly trained to apply the diagnostic criteria, cannot do so adequately and can seem to largely lose the plot whilst rigidly looking for details of this or that. I personally don't think it's too hard to spot likely people, especially in the context of my work, family and relationship therapy, once you are specifically trained and have met and got to know some people with high autistic traits or Aspergers.

This is because in family or relationship work one can watch the communication and dynamics between the couple or family, and that is quite a telling area for many with Aspergers or ASD 1. Where we may show communication differences. Teachers will also have seen communication behaviours of the student with themselves and perhaps others, that will alert them.

How do you ask questions, would you say? As this was where she noticed the possible ASD?

How do you ask questions, would you say? As this was where she noticed the possible ASD?
I figured that the biggest clue that could give it away is my processing speed/delay and maybe my somewhat monotone voice. I have been thinking about what could be diffirent in how i ask questions all day. Maybe i ask very closed ended questions or don't ask any when people expect me to? I rarely ask questions for the sake of politeness or conversational flow

I figured that the biggest clue that could give it away is my processing speed/delay and maybe my somewhat monotone voice. I have been thinking about what could be diffirent in how i ask questions all day. Maybe i ask very closed ended questions or don't ask any when people expect me to? I rarely ask questions for the sake of politeness or conversational flow

Yes that last bit could be quite telling. You do have the option of masking that should you wish to. But either way, although this person recognised you may be Aspie, I shouldn't think many would.

That's how I converse for 67 years, and most NT's just thought I was weird. worked for me worked for Bill Gates, Elon Musk too and many other, The best example would be Paul Dirac so in good company. Lifes not all about socializing for me it's about solving mysteries.

Think of yourself more as the strong, silent type. That's not such a bad thing really. Many people even like that personality.

New Threads

Top Bottom