• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tasting words

buttercuplols

Anyone else? I'm pretty sure this is not just standard echolalia...

Sometimes, normally when listening to the radio at home alone, a word will be said and I feel like I have to say it myself to see what it 'tastes' like.

It's a good or bad feeling whilst saying the word, physically and mentally. This is regardless and unrelayed to the meaning of the word. If it 'tastes' nice I repeat it. Sometimes in different voices, pitches or speeds to see if these added 'ingredients' make it 'taste' any different.

It's a little odd but hey, I think I'm in the right place to bring it up! [emoji4]

Do you actually taste a flavor when speaking words or is that a metaphore to describe some other quality of the words you can't quite articulate using existant language?

If you do honestly percieve flavors when speaking words this phenomena is known as synesthesia. While it is a minority it is not uncommon for people on the spectrum to have this ability. I would concider it to be something of a gift, but I understand it can be a curse as well when certain stimuli elicit an unpleasant secondary sensation.

I do sometimes repeat words to feel what it is like to say them, but I don't taste them.

Sorry, I meant in a metaphorical sense. That why I used 'taste' instead of taste because I couldn't quite explain the compulsive need to feel it in my mouth. I try doing it in my head but the sensation isn't the same.

Just wondered if it was an Aspie thing and if anyone else understood it. I've asked a few NT friends who were like.... 'WHAAAA'??'

When I get obsessed with something, then yes, it happens. Also, believe it or not, but if I read something that really nice about me, I just read and read and read and shake my head in wonder and get little shivers up and down my spine.

When I get obsessed with something, then yes, it happens. Also, believe it or not, but if I read something that really nice about me, I just read and read and read and shake my head in wonder and get little shivers up and down my spine.
Aww that sounds rather pleasant!

That's a pretty cat. I am glad you have a black one. Did you know they are the hardest to find a home for? What is it with lady aspies and cats? :D I should talk... I have 4 dogs. :eek:
Thanks, I'll tell her you said that. And yes, that's exactly why I chose her from the rescue centre! It's sad people are so superstitious about black cats. Coincidentally it was Halloween when they called to say she was ready to be picked up. We've been buddies for 12 years this summer!

Thanks, I'll tell her you said that. And yes, that's exactly why I chose her from the rescue centre! It's sad people are so superstitious about black cats. Coincidentally it was Halloween when they called to say she was ready to be picked up. We've been buddies for 12 years this summer!

Yes, please do. I don't want to get on her wrong side.;) But she must be a big cat from the pic (?) I like animals of all kinds. Our last cats were a big Calico and her litter who were stray barn cats. We took them in when half the litter died in the cold. Two we found homes for and two a pet shop took as donations. One was all black male which a man took, but he came and visited him every day during the quarentine period at the pet shop. My favorite, the sweet and smallest black and white girl went to a little girl who wrote letters to the cat during the quarentine. :) Btw, your a good match for her and very pretty too.

I wish I could spell quarentine. :(

P.S. The mom cat, the huge and adorablely friendly calico was taken in by the local shelter as the house cat and greeted all the visitors.

Sad that the cold took some. Glad you were able to save the rest. That's nice that the girl wrote letters and the man visited them! Thanks again!

She looks bigger than she is because I held her up near my face for the picture but she is rather small actually. Her little sister is a much bigger more muscular tortoiseshell cat. She looks quite dinky in comparison.

I thought about getting a dog as well for my own health as I like them and like walking but I don't want to upset the cats.

Sad that the cold took some. Glad you were able to save the rest. That's nice that the girl wrote letters and the man visited them! Thanks again!

She looks bigger than she is because I held her up near my face for the picture but she is rather small actually. Her little sister is a much bigger more muscular tortoiseshell cat. She looks quite dinky in comparison.

I thought about getting a dog as well for my own health as I like them and like walking but I don't want to upset the cats.

I think dogs and cats can do very well together (depending on the specific personality) but a young dog might bother the cats, especially if they are older, just wanting to play. Puppy stage is basically madness. :eek::D Every time I go thru it, that first month I am saying 'How could I do this to myself' (or more accurately 'How could my wife do this to me'). But you do survive and then they are like kids and you love them so much. My wife unfortunately likes puppies, but I prefer shelter animals.

Ah so, so it was trick photography. 'Hey look at my 200 lb cat!" :p

One day however you should try a dogs or dogs. A lot of people think two is the best balance as they have each other when you are occupied. Its a whole different experience.

Short tale. When I was moving the surviving 4 kittens in a shoebox from the barn to our house (we rented a house on a working farm) the Mom cat let me do it without any fuss and just followed me like she trusted me/knew it was ok. Half way to our house the farm dog, a big black lab caught wind and charged from a distance. I yelled for her to stop but she came on, barking. The Mom cat waited till the last minute and then jumped on the large dogs neck like a lion on a Wildebeast in a nature documentary and was biting and clawing the dogs neck. The dog bucked like a bronco trying to throw the cat off and finally succeeded and ran off having learned a lesson. The cat landed on her feet, a puff ball twice her normal size and shook herself sleek again and then fell in behind me as before. Very cool cat! :cool:

Last edited:
I think dogs and cats can do very well together (depending on the specific personality) but a young dog might bother the cats, especially if they are older, just wanting to play. Puppy stage is basically madness. :eek::D Every time I go thru it, that first month I am saying 'How could I do this to myself' (or more accurately 'How could my wife do this to me'). But you do survive and then they are like kids and you love them so much. My wife unfortunately likes puppies, but I prefer shelter animals.

Ah so, so it was trick photography. 'Hey look at my 200 lb cat!"[emoji14]
One day however you should try a dogs or dogs. A lot of people think two is the best balance as they have each other when you are occupied. Its a whole different experience.

Short tale. When I was moving the surviving 4 kittens in a shoebox from the barn to our house (we rented a house on a working farm) the Mom cat let me do it without any fuss and just followed me like she trusted me/knew it was ok. Half way to our house the farm dog, a big black lab caught wind and charged from a distance. I yelled for her to stop but she came on, barking. The Mom cat waited till the last minute and then jumped on the large dogs neck like a lion on a Wildebeast in a nature documentary and was biting and clawing the dogs neck. The dog bucked like a bronco trying to throw the cat off and finally succeeded and ran off having learned a lesson. The cat landed on her feet, a puff ball twice her normal size and shook herself sleek again and then fell in behind me as before. Very cool cat! :cool:
Cats are the boss! Hahaha! Love your story! I'm a cat person. My fiance wants a dog more than me but I know I'd do the majority of walking.

The black cat in the picture is of a very nervous, jumpy disposition (a bit like myself!) so I think a puppy may be too unpredictable for her to handle. I would get one one day though! We had two black labradors when I was a kid and they were lovely, soppy dogs!

Total sideline, and please tell me to bugger off and it's none of my business but is your partner an Aspie too? Mine is NT. Just curious. I should probably look for a thread on that specifically. I have a million and one questions at the moment!

Cats are the boss! Hahaha! Love your story! I'm a cat person. My fiance wants a dog more than me but I know I'd do the majority of walking.

The black cat in the picture is of a very nervous, jumpy disposition (a bit like myself!) so I think a puppy may be too unpredictable for her to handle. I would get one one day though! We had two black labradors when I was a kid and they were lovely, soppy dogs!

Total sideline, and please tell me to bugger off and it's none of my business but is your partner an Aspie too? Mine is NT. Just curious. I should probably look for a thread on that specifically. I have a million and one questions at the moment!

No, its not a bad question at all. That type of thing is sort of the main reason for a forum like this.

My wife is NT. Very NT in most ways, very very social, but also the sensitive type and I think that is a main connecting point for us. Sensitivity. And very useful in negotiating all the rough spots a AS/NT pairing might bring.

But as much as I would have welcomed a AS partner, for me I think an NT partner was better. From the beginning I knew I had a odd duality in nature, though I did not know about HFA at the time. And thru trial and error I found I was happiest stradling the fence, spending time in NT type persuits as well as AS ones. If I concentrated too much on one or the other I became depressed or felt repressed. So an NT partner helps me keep balanced. Not sure that makes sense.

No, its not a bad question at all. That type of thing is sort of the main reason for a forum like this.

My wife is NT. Very NT in most ways, very very social, but also the sensitive type and I think that is a main connecting point for us. Sensitivity. And very useful in negotiating all the rough spots a AS/NT pairing might bring.

But as much as I would have welcomed a AS partner, for me I think an NT partner was better. From the beginning I knew I had a odd duality in nature, though I did not know about HFA at the time. And thru trial and error I found I was happiest stradling the fence, spending time in NT type persuits as well as AS ones. If I concentrated too much on one or the other I became depressed or felt repressed. So an NT partner helps me keep balanced. Not sure that makes sense.
Makes sense to me. I have a very understanding partner. And he is great at keeping me upbeat when I get bogged down with worries about small things.

My little brother was diagnosed AS at 5 so I have been aware of it for my whole life and am used to Aspie company. Only just made a connection that I could be last year and still awaiting diagnosis but in my mind it seems obvious now.

I'm finding it a hard topic to bring up with my partner though. I keep leaving Aspie related books around to make a point and see if he mentions it. I'm finding it so difficult to relate to most people at the moment, bot just him.

You will neva here me complaine about spellink or tie-pos! I think part of my reason for existing is to be a thorn in the side of English Majors. :D

Well that is on target as far as what my partner does for me. As an aspie I find the natural tendency is usually inward as in shutting things out to avoid stresses, and worry/anxiety is maybe the most common co-morbid that comes with HFA. Conversely, my strengths tend to be in areas she is weak in. One thing I try to do is not be lazy and step up to the plate any time she needs as assist. Then she is more naturally inclined to help me when my aspie side emerges and causes some issues.

We both had a similar situation to you, in that we had a HFA in each of our families. They were both more severe cases however and it took a while to realize that I had it too. Up to then it was attributed to a 'different' type of personality, which my partner liked in the beginning. It wasn't so great however as certain traits got more noticable, and anxiety became slowly worse. Some elements of our fix were 1) realizing what we were dealing with and its symptoms and 2) me seeing shrinks and getting on a med for anxiety. It took a while to find the right med, but once I did, life became much easier. It was a great relief to have the continual worrying reduced greatly. Meds aren't for everyone, just an option.

Black labs are great dogs btw. The first dog I got really close to was one (my brothers). I always thought that would be the one I would get... although they are usually very active puppies. :eek:

But it finally came time to get a dog I decided they were not quite macho and BA enough for me and so settled on Chihuahuas and Chi mixes.:D

100_8253_zpsrfe33yii.jpg

Actually my wife came home with the first by surprise around Christmas one year. :eek:

On sharing the news. I don't usually advocate telling anyone except those closest to you (ie partner/immediate family) unless you need to for a disability issue. I say that because too many people have a negative view/stereotype in mind about autism and labels in general aren't a positive thing. But with a partner yes, definately, at some point. Your approach now is best in that it always seems best if they bring it up and have done some pre-processing. If it turns out you need to be the one to address it, just have patience and allow for an initial confused reaction on their part. Since your connection is strong however, they will eventually see it changes nothing, and only will decrease misunderstandings in the future.

You will neva here me complaine about spellink or tie-pos! I think part of my reason for existing is to be a thorn in the side of English Majors. :D

Well that is on target as far as what my partner does for me. As an aspie I find the natural tendency is usually inward as in shutting things out to avoid stresses, and worry/anxiety is maybe the most common co-morbid that comes with HFA. Conversely, my strengths tend to be in areas she is weak in. One thing I try to do is not be lazy and step up to the plate any time she needs as assist. Then she is more naturally inclined to help me when my aspie side emerges and causes some issues.

We both had a similar situation to you, in that we had a HFA in each of our families. They were both more severe cases however and it took a while to realize that I had it too. Up to then it was attributed to a 'different' type of personality, which my partner liked in the beginning. It wasn't so great however as certain traits got more noticable, and anxiety became slowly worse. Some elements of our fix were 1) realizing what we were dealing with and its symptoms and 2) me seeing shrinks and getting on a med for anxiety. It took a while to find the right med, but once I did, life became much easier. It was a great relief to have the continual worrying reduced greatly. Meds aren't for everyone, just an option.

Black labs are great dogs btw. The first dog I got really close to was one (my brothers). I always thought that would be the one I would get... although they are usually very active puppies. :eek:

But it finally came time to get a dog I decided they were not quite macho and BA enough for me and so settled on Chihuahuas and Chi mixes.:D

100_8253_zpsrfe33yii.jpg

Actually my wife came home with the first by surprise around Christmas one year. :eek:

On sharing the news. I don't usually advocate telling anyone except those closest to you (ie partner/immediate family) unless you need to for a disability issue. I say that because too many people have a negative view/stereotype in mind about autism and labels in general aren't a positive thing. But with a partner yes, definately, at some point. Your approach now is best in that it always seems best if they bring it up and have done some pre-processing. If it turns out you need to be the one to address it, just have patience and allow for an initial confused reaction on their part. Since your connection is strong however, they will eventually see it changes nothing, and only will decrease misunderstandings in the future.
Hiya again.

I'm still processing all this as you've made a few points that have struck a chord with me and I want to reread a few times and think whilst I'm away camping tonight.

Just thought I'd drop a quick note to let you know I haven't been scared away! And thank you so much. I can't say how happy I am to have found this forum.

Gotta run for now! Packing!

P.S. Could your dogs BE ANY CUTER??!!!! Awww!!!!!!!!

New Threads

Top Bottom