• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Taking the pressure off and just saying "Hi"

JDShredds

(With a slight monologue... because... well I don't need to explain that).

I had this idea of giving people a run down of my life story and why it led me here, but then I realized... calm down self. There's time for that (I'm sure this will end up longer winded than I planned, as always happens).

So, in short: Hi. I'm Jeff. I'm from Nevada, USA, am in my mid 30's and only recently discovered (with absolute certainty) that I'm on the spectrum. In fact, its been the greatest "Ah-Ha!" moment of my 3 1/2 decades of life. It explains literally everything from my earlier memories to my adolescence and teenhood to my struggles to function as other adults do.

It started with a question, and then a test (and then every type of test you can find online), and then obsessive research for a week and a whole lot of "moments" during the process of accepting it (a mix of lows and highs). This was a bit over a month ago. It checked every box from every stage of my life and I couldn't believe when I found people telling their story that was EXACTLY my story. Down to the finest details, thoughts, experiences and struggles that I'd never shared or been able to articulate. These were all from Aspies telling their story.

I'm currently reading Tony Attwood's "The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome" with the revised intro including the DSM-5. Every page cements it further.

I've also learned that merely by chance, my two best friends of 20 years both suspect they're on the spectrum as well. Anyone else have this kind of experience? Like the rare friends you DO make that stick end up finding out they're on the spectrum too? In my case, none of us have many friends at all, and the other friendships we do have tend to falter. Another note: these are long distance friendships, yet the only ones I've made that stuck the test of time.

Moving forward, I'm entertaining my options of seeking formal diagnosis, and whether or not in my circumstances that will be beneficial (in case you're curious, I'm confident I'm an Aspie, which would probably be diagnosed here in the States as ASD1 since they've bundled it all together like that). Of course, the entire process of that makes me feel seriously uncomfortable, but what else is new?

Anyway, I just wanted to get this over with (I put too much pressure on it at first) and start getting to know the people in this community. I also think I just needed time to absorb the new reality. Which isn't actually new or different. I've always been me. But now I understand so, so much more about why. Half of its a curse, but half of its a gift. It all clicks now.

-Jeff

upload_2019-1-16_16-57-49.png

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process!

Welcome, Jeff. I’m glad you decided to visit and post here at Autismforums.com.

I would encourage you to seriously entertain seeking a formal diagnosis, if possible. The more adults that receive a formal diagnosis the larger the statical pool will be to support and advocate from here in the US. Many in the UK recognized this years ago. This has been a part of why their understanding and advocacy is more mature

Once again, I appreciate you posting and look forward to our ongoing dialogue in the forum.

Last edited:
Hi Jeff, and welcome. It can get a little expensive getting a formal diagnosis - that's totally your decision, though I never considered what @George Newman had mentioned. I went through very similar experience to yours in learning about my autism, except I was 59. There are both here, and some non autistics/neurotypicals/NT's. There's lot to learn and share here and glad you joined.

(With a slight monologue... because... well I don't need to explain that).

I had this idea of giving people a run down of my life story and why it led me here, but then I realized... calm down self. There's time for that (I'm sure this will end up longer winded than I planned, as always happens).

So, in short: Hi. I'm Jeff. I'm from Nevada, USA, am in my mid 30's and only recently discovered (with absolute certainty) that I'm on the spectrum. In fact, its been the greatest "Ah-Ha!" moment of my 3 1/2 decades of life. It explains literally everything from my earlier memories to my adolescence and teenhood to my struggles to function as other adults do.

It started with a question, and then a test (and then every type of test you can find online), and then obsessive research for a week and a whole lot of "moments" during the process of accepting it (a mix of lows and highs). This was a bit over a month ago. It checked every box from every stage of my life and I couldn't believe when I found people telling their story that was EXACTLY my story. Down to the finest details, thoughts, experiences and struggles that I'd never shared or been able to articulate. These were all from Aspies telling their story.

I'm currently reading Tony Attwood's "The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome" with the revised intro including the DSM-5. Every page cements it further.

I've also learned that merely by chance, my two best friends of 20 years both suspect they're on the spectrum as well. Anyone else have this kind of experience? Like the rare friends you DO make that stick end up finding out they're on the spectrum too? In my case, none of us have many friends at all, and the other friendships we do have tend to falter. Another note: these are long distance friendships, yet the only ones I've made that stuck the test of time.

Moving forward, I'm entertaining my options of seeking formal diagnosis, and whether or not in my circumstances that will be beneficial (in case you're curious, I'm confident I'm an Aspie, which would probably be diagnosed here in the States as ASD1 since they've bundled it all together like that). Of course, the entire process of that makes me feel seriously uncomfortable, but what else is new?

Anyway, I just wanted to get this over with (I put too much pressure on it at first) and start getting to know the people in this community. I also think I just needed time to absorb the new reality. Which isn't actually new or different. I've always been me. But now I understand so, so much more about why. Half of its a curse, but half of its a gift. It all clicks now.

-Jeff
Welcome. You are just beginning a long journey of discovery. You have overcome the first hurdle in accepting the diagnosis (even if not official). Like you, I found the diagnosis explained too much of my life, which made acceptance much easier. Many have trouble with that. The next big thing is coming to terms with it. The first part is figuring out what to do with it. You can embrace it like I did, or use your knowledge to anticipate problems and hide it. This is entirely your decision. The second part is coming to terms with what it has done to your life so far. I was diagnosed at age 60, and so have a lot more of this to deal with than you. If I had only known when I was young, my life would probably been a lot smoother and more successful.

I have found this forum to be very therapeutic (more so than all the psychologists, psychiatrists, therapists, and counselors I saw over 40 years) and cathartic. I rant, I opine, and I grt feedback that helps me to understand myself. Which may be the goal of everyone here.

Good luck on your quest.

Hi there, Jeff!
It is funny, but my diagnosis process was almost identical to what you described. Except the research never stopped for me. 3 months later, autism is my new special interest! If you are certain about your self-diagnosis, you may not need to get a professional diagnosis. I got a professional diagnosis simply because I HATE uncertainty, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for you.
I hope you have a good time reading all of our wacky and wonderful posts here!

Welcome Jeff!
I was 58 when officially diagnosed and your mixed feelings of the aha moment, research, unbelievable
feelings of like reading your own life, to acceptance was exactly the same for me.
One day it might feel like it's a downer to know, the next it's a relief.
Everyday something will remind me of something. Some trait or something I've read here many times.
But, it sure explains it all.

Yes, they've revised the levels method. I was talking with my therapist last week about that because
it was called Asperger's when I was diagnosed. She went over all the subject matters they evaluate now
and all of level 1 fit and a lot of level 2.
I said what does that make me then? A 1- 3/4 ? :confused:

This is a great place though for learning and sharing.
It is my nightly routine and helps with not feel so alone since I am mostly alone.
No close friends or family. Hope you enjoy it here too.

Welcome Jeff! I've only recently discovered I'm on the spectrum and I'd researched it too.. Being here, however, gave me so many "ah-ha" moments, that general autism literature didn't cover. This forum is the only community where I've felt that I actually fit in and am like everyone else.

Sometimes, if we're high functioning enough on the autism spectrum, we struggle through life, feeling like there's something wrong with us, but not being different enough from everyone else to question it. Even when I was officially diagnosed I questioned it completely "Am I on the spectrum, or am I just weird?" ... of course, that is until I came here. Everyone is wonderful, I hope you engage with us and make friends in the process!

:)

Hello & welcome.
I'm confident I'm an Aspie, which would probably be diagnosed here in the States as ASD1 since they've bundled it all together like that
The two should correlate that way, but (in my [northern Wisconsin] neck of the woods) adult autism is still controversial. And its detractors have used the DSM-5 dissolution of Aspergers Syndrome to force re-diagnosis as Social Anxiety Disorder, Schizotypal Personality Disorder, etc.

The two agencies below still recognize Aspergers to be a distinct, but related, condition compared to classical autism, DSM-5 notwithstanding.

There is probably something to being friends with others on the spectrum. 'Birds of a feather'

Wow. You guys are awesome. Thank you for the replies. :)

The next big thing is coming to terms with it. The first part is figuring out what to do with it. You can embrace it like I did, or use your knowledge to anticipate problems and hide it.

I have found this forum to be very therapeutic (more so than all the psychologists, psychiatrists, therapists, and counselors I saw over 40 years) and cathartic.

Figuring out what to do with it is definitely where I am right now. I am fully embracing it and am completely SICK of trying to hide it. I've been coping for close to 35 years and it is exhausting. I want to set myself free to be me, and if that means I need support others don't, so be it.

Funny you mention the forum being more therapeutic than therapy. I actually found merely learning and reading about the spectrum to be more therapeutic than any therapy I've had before.

Hi there, Jeff!
It is funny, but my diagnosis process was almost identical to what you described. Except the research never stopped for me. 3 months later, autism is my new special interest! If you are certain about your self-diagnosis, you may not need to get a professional diagnosis. I got a professional diagnosis simply because I HATE uncertainty, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for you.
I hope you have a good time reading all of our wacky and wonderful posts here!

Oh trust me, the research didn't stop. My best friend joked, "your obsession with autism is autistic." lol. And I do struggle pretty badly with uncertainty, its just that I do not feel uncertain in this regard.

For example, I won't do anything without asking a million questions to the point of irritating the other party with how much specific detail I need to know in advance before doing something, like dinner at a restaurant I've never gone to. People have had to go so far as to show me photos from online and describe prior experiences in detail. And yet contrary to how it may sound, its not fear at all. Its that I'm sensitive about my environment and know how overwhelmed I get and don't like stepping into situations where I can't predict most of it. So, its more dread of knowing how uncertainty and chaotic environments can affect me than it is fear of something bad happening. If I get stuck in such a situation, I end up staring at a single object on the floor, shake a limb repeatedly, and try to tune out the unpredictability and sensory overload. Then I shut down for a week and need to be alone at home. Needless to say, don't bother asking me to go to a club. lol

Sometimes, if we're high functioning enough on the autism spectrum, we struggle through life, feeling like there's something wrong with us, but not being different enough from everyone else to question it. Even when I was officially diagnosed I questioned it completely "Am I on the spectrum, or am I just weird?"

That sure sounds familiar.

Hello & welcome.

The two should correlate that way, but (in my [northern Wisconsin] neck of the woods) adult autism is still controversial. And its detractors have used the DSM-5 dissolution of Aspergers Syndrome to force re-diagnosis as Social Anxiety Disorder, Schizotypal Personality Disorder, etc.

The two agencies below still recognize Aspergers to be a distinct, but related, condition compared to classical autism, DSM-5 notwithstanding.

Thank you for sharing. I for one do not agree with the dissolution of AS in DSM-5. I find it "incorrect."

Hi Jeff and welcome to the community :)

If you can afford it diagnosis is worthwhile. It provides a legitimacy, even within our own minds.
Tony Attwood's book is very good. I'd suggest "Neurotribes" by Steve Silberman as a good one to try :)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom