• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Taking It Literally

Sashi

When I first suspected I was on the autism spectrum, I began my journey by doing research followed by online testing, consulting with special education teachers, and telling my doctor my suspicion. Among the various autism symptoms is taking what people say literally. I had to give that symptom some thought as to whether I was guilty or not.

Don't people mean what they say and say what they mean?

I remember someone once tried to tell me that people don't always. It was with my boss, John, who hailed from New York state. During my annual evaluation some 25 years ago, he brought up something rather strange. He said that most folks from the "north" tend to not take what people say literally. Whereas, most folks from the "south" (he knew I was from Texas) tend to take what people say literally. He didn't elaborate on just where exactly the dividing line was separating the north and south.

An example he cited was if it was announced that inflation was not going up, most of the south would think it is NOT going up. But most of the north would think it is going up a little bit.

An example closer to home, which looking back I think was the whole bloody point of the conversation, was if I asked him to help me with something. If he responded with, "I will help you but later", I would probably take it to mean he will help me later. He told me that someone from the "north" would interpret it as "I don't want to help you at all."

I was totally puzzled but too naive to take it personally. I was taking him literally at his word that my southern roots was what caused me to take John literally. Looking back, I guess this whole production was John's way of telling me "later" meant "no".

With 25 more years of life experience since that candid conversation, I am not sold on John's "north vs. south" theory on literal communication. I suspect there are folks from John's home state of New York, and other northern states, who take what people say literally and those in the south who don't always take what folks say literally. I don't think region of the country, or whart part of the planet one comes from, has anything to do with whether one takes people word for word or reads their minds.

Weeks after my diagnosis, an acquaintance I've known for decades was telling me she had been wanting to clean the very top of her bookshelf. It had not been cleaned in she didn't know how many years. I offered to do it for her since I'm years younger than she. She said, "Oh, no, I don't want to think of you having to do that. I'll get around to it sometime." Hm? Did she really NOT want me to do it? Was this her way of asking me to do it? Was this a textbook case of taking someone literally vs. reading their mind?

A few days later, I went over and commenced to climbing a chair and dusting. She didn't offer any objection whatsoever! She seemed relieved that the dust would have some place else to settle instead of on the top of her book shelf. I've figured out (now mind ya it took me decades) that when this person says "I don't want you to have to do that" means "I'd be mighty pleased if you did."

Oh, goodness gracious, what is one living on the spectrum supposed to do? Maybe I should have bought myself a shirt for Christmas that read: "I don't read minds!"

If I could talk to John, I would tell him that I liked having him for a boss. And, for him to interpret that literally or however he'd wish to.

NT folks do not always say what they mean and mean what they say. Aspies and auties usually do. It's been a source of tension in my marriage for as long as I've been married. It's a real and serious issue, and we as well as NTs need to understand that issue.

It is all so horribly complicated in the nt world.

I cannot count the times that I realised I took something literal.

In truth though, it never occured to me that I take things literally. My husband, who mocks me a lot, was the one, ironically enough, who brought my attention to it. He said: the trouble with you, is that you take things literally. As I understood more and more about aspergers and discussed what he said, he changed things around and said: I was teasing you. But get this: I took him literally.

Recently I was with this other lady. We live in France and she said: I can just smell the English. Now I know what this means, but my mouth clicked into gear and I said: oh, what do they smell like then? She got annoyed with me and said: Oh wow, I meant it as a joke, you know, joke? GET IT? I felt humilated.

It is like nts are saying: you are so stupid, because you take things literally. I say: I don't get on with people not straight taking. Life would be so much easier if we justed stated whst we mean.

This miffs me. I say what I mean. I don't joke around and I hate games. I can't even play board games. So I assumed that NTs meant what they say.

I get the impression that NT's just shoot off at the mouth and then "mean it" when they get a good reaction and "Oh, it's just a joke" when someone gets upset.

I get the feeling they don't think before eating, speaking, having sex, driving, washing the dog, playing with the kids, or taking out the trash.

Thinking was reserved for aspies and auties.

OH -and I MEAN IT.

Sarcasm, people not saying what they mean. Has always been a mystery to me. I remember in secondary school people tying to teach me how to know to know when people were doing these things however I still don't completely understand when people are doing it.

I hate when people laugh after I say something that wasn't intended as a joke.
I want them to take me literally/seriously.

This happens to me quite often. Usually people laugh because apparently something I've said is "too blunt" or I've said something that everyone was thinking but nobody wanted to say...and they laugh because they can't believe I said it. Well how am I supposed to know I shouldn't be honest at certain times, but then it's totally ok at other times? I don't understand the rules.

I've been able to insult people quite well which is usually taken as a joke.
So,in the rare instance, of actually wanting to offend someone they will laugh.

So when I'm nasty it's nice
And when I think I'm being nice.....

In terms of the great comments about marriage.

Just say what you bloody mean!
Why do I have to interpret all this nonsense!

Do it like I would and all the misunderstandings would end!

Isn't that worth trying? (Peace harmony joy I'm offering here)

But no.... I have to guess,
When I ask directly.. 'You should know'

Aaahh!

NTs like to talk in code sometimes it's hard for us autistic to understand. Like the other day I was saying to my mentor "I wonder where that $100 went". She said "maybe you broke it". I pictured the money being ripped and half and asked "How do you break $100"? She said, "in 20s". And I realized, oh, break it as it break it up into smaller bills, not tear it in half.

I have issues with this as well.
One example are "hidden commands".
Here's an example from some time ago: My mother asked me to look if there was some more tea in the teapot in the kitchen after I said I would go and get something else there. I came back and said: "Yes, there's still some tea in the teapot."
That wasn't what she expected. Apparently I was supposed to see that this was a way to say: "Look if there's some tea in the teapot and if yes, bring me a cup of tea."

There's also the often used "Can you do..." which doesn't require an answer about your capability of doing said thing, but just means "Do... please." I can handle this quite well because it's the same pattern over and over with this phrase.
Other, not so common phrases are more difficult because I haven't memorized their "translation" (like the tea example mentioned before, which was kind of unexpected the first time, but I know about it now).
It's like a foreign language I have to learn.
I wouldn't have figured that one out, for example, it's new to me:
I've figured out (now mind ya it took me decades) that when this person says "I don't want you to have to do that" means "I'd be mighty pleased if you did."

I hate when people laugh after I say something that wasn't intended as a joke.
I want them to take me literally/seriously.
This happens to me quite often. Usually people laugh because apparently something I've said is "too blunt" or I've said something that everyone was thinking but nobody wanted to say...and they laugh because they can't believe I said it. Well how am I supposed to know I shouldn't be honest at certain times, but then it's totally ok at other times? I don't understand the rules.
I get this too.
It's not only for the reasons you metioned, @xudo (although that's part of the problem for me as well), but also because I have an odd way to express things occasionally, at least odd for others.
For example, I say a very long-winded sentence or talk too detailed about something (I tend to over-explain things because I have all the details in my head that are relevant to me and I want to include all these things).
Plus, I have a tendency to use "complicated" words, like technical terms, which seem to be a bit out of place in specific conversations. But these are just perfectly normal words for me and I use them when I think it's the right term. Others tend to find it just rather funny though for whatever reason. I try to remember this, but I still use "wrong" words regularly.

Not sure if this is exactly on topic, but it's nearby and interesting, at least to me.

If you ask someone 'when is it?' just out of the blue, they'll look at you like you have holes in your head. If you ask 'what time is it?' in exactly the same situation they'll tell you what time it is at that moment. Both phrases have exactly the same meaning if you're already discussing an event, in that context either question will prompt someone to tell you what time the event is at. If you take the questions apart the bits of them have the same meaning.

I really don't think that NTs interpret language with the same care that we do, if they've used a phrase a few times already it just has to have the exact same meaning again, a new context will not prompt a reassessment of the phrase each time as it does for me.

NTs like to talk in code sometimes it's hard for us autistic to understand. Like the other day I was saying to my mentor "I wonder where that $100 went". She said "maybe you broke it". I pictured the money being ripped and half and asked "How do you break $100"? She said, "in 20s". And I realized, oh, break it as it break it up into smaller bills, not tear it in half.

I just read this and laughed because I too, picture the money being ripped in half.

I say a very long-winded sentence or talk too detailed about something (I tend to over-explain things because I have all the details in my head that are relevant to me and I want to include all these things).
Plus, I have a tendency to use "complicated" words, like technical terms, which seem to be a bit out of place in specific conversations. But these are just perfectly normal words for me and I use them when I think it's the right term.

Oh my, so refreshing to find another who does the same thing! My husband is always saying: would you please get to the point?! Like you said: all the details are relevent to me and so, it is hard to distinguish which one should be said and not and thus, say it all.

I do get a few who say that they find what I say interesting and because I do not have a montoned voice and very conscious of fearing boring people, I do tend to "address it up" for my audience.

Yes, too, I use technical words often and get again, from my husband: please, not so heavy and I say: but what on earth is it that I am talking about that is so heavy?

I also tend to use words I have read that I really like, in other sentences. I may know the word anyway, but it fits so well with another sentence, that I use it and will get: what do you mean?

Paraphrasing is very difficult for me.

New Threads

Top Bottom