• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tagging of new threads?

Should it be posters starting a new thread be required to select or create tags?

• All new threads should be tagged

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New threads not tagged should only be visible after approval

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Myrtonos

Currently, tagging of threads is optional, but I have had the idea of making it a requirement to tag every new thread or else moderate new threads that are not tagged. If you vote, you might want to explain your vote here.

Tags can be useful to help people to find similar threads, but I don't think that is should be a requirement to tag new threads.

Threads are already categorised according to their general subject and content matter, as they must be posted in one subforum or another, along with threads of a similar nature. Some threads are also about personal experiences, and it is also not always so easy to sum up the contents of a thread with one word or short phrase. The tags can get pretty messy or random at times, and that really doesn't help much, either.

It's worth mentioning that tags do benefit the site, so far as Google's indexing. If you tag threads and use multiple tags, Google will pick up on buzz words and phrases and it increases the likelihood of this site showing up higher on the list under various search criteria. So, while it may be neither necessary nor required it's not a bad idea.

@Myrtonos

Please do explain this:

"I have had the idea of making it a requirement to tag every new thread
or else moderate new threads that are not tagged
."

Elaborate on the part that follows the word "or."

The idea would be either to require anyone creating new threads to select or create tags or have new untagged threads pending approval, that is, they don't become visible until approved.

It's worth mentioning that tags do benefit the site, so far as Google's indexing. If you tag threads and use multiple tags, Google will pick up on buzz words and phrases and it increases the likelihood of this site showing up higher on the list under various search criteria. So, while it may be neither necessary nor required it's not a bad idea.
Some of us do not use google and I personally would not use a site that required me to use tags.

I agree with @Ken S. that it should not be a requirement. Some of us are not even familiar with tagging, except it feels like just a way to get more readers.

Some people don’t know what tags are, yet they should be welcome to participate in the forum.
Pat’s and I posted at the same time!
OP, who are you? If you aren’t a Mod, then you are kind of bossy.

I agree it's not really needed, plus it'd just be a nuisance in its own right, especially when new people join the site and they want to make an Introduction of their own rather than use the Introduction thread, and adding mandatory tags is a waste of time to many; the site's getting by just fine and we're still getting new members regularly as well, so it'd be no different than it's currently doing other than having a mandatory feature that'd get old quick; I don't think the Forum Software (the site runs on Xenforo) even supports what your asking for anyways.

Can you explain your reasoning for this? This really seems insignificant and would mean more effort for something that should be an easy process. The staff (along with the members) here have and continue to do a fine job of keeping the forums in check, all without what you're proposing here, so what difference is it going to make?

So someone wants to create a new thread, right? If someone already has trouble with the forum's functions, why force an unneeded extra step on top of that and for what purpose?

I agree with @Ken S. that it should not be a requirement. Some of us are not even familiar with tagging, except it feels like just a way to get more readers.
Some people don’t know what tags are, yet they should be welcome to participate in the forum.
If you start a thread, you will see a field for tags, they are separated by a comma.
I agree it's not really needed, plus it'd just be a nuisance in its own right, especially when new people join the site and they want to make an Introduction of their own rather than use the Introduction thread, and adding mandatory tags is a waste of time to many; the site's getting by just fine and we're still getting new members regularly as well, so it'd be no different than it's currently doing other than having a mandatory feature that'd get old quick; I don't think the Forum Software (the site runs on Xenforo) even supports what your asking for anyways.
One idea would be to make an exception to the requirement in the introductions thread, another would be for untagged threads to only be visible to others after approval.
Can you explain your reasoning for this? This really seems insignificant and would mean more effort for something that should be an easy process. The staff (along with the members) here have and continue to do a fine job of keeping the forums in check, all without what you're proposing here, so what difference is it going to make?
I got the idea from another similar site, and it seems to work there. Sophie is a friend of the founder of that site, and it apparently was the founder's decision. AGXStarseed, Miss Chief and a few others may be familiar with tags being required.

Since I am not up to date on current slang and computer lingo or current usages of sites like twitter, snap chap and so on. Let me ask what would be beneficial of having tags?

I also don't have a good understanding of netspeak, does that have anything to do with seeing the benefit of having tags?

What is netspeak? Let me try to clarify my question - why do people even use tags and how would it benefit this site or anyone on it to use tags?

Another thing I meant to add as well is it would add more work for the Moderators and Admins if the site moved to Post Approval; I say their plates are full enough as it is with editing/removing peoples posts/comments as needed, locking posts if required, and other more important things. Adding more work to their current workload isn't the greatest of ideas and I'm sure they'd also disagree with needing to take such unnecessary drastic actions as the current report system already works just fine; someone (or enough people, which ever) reports an inappropriate or misplaced thread, the Moderator/Admin will take care of it as time permits. As the old saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

why do people even use tags and how would it benefit this site or anyone on it to use tags?

People use tags to find certain topics easier. Think of it as a Mind Map. A topic tag such as, say, "gardening" will bring up any other threads with with that specific tag.

Another thing I meant to add as well is it would add more work for the Moderators and Admins if the site moved to Post Approval; I say their plates are full enough as it is with editing/removing peoples posts/comments as needed, locking posts if required, and other more important things. Adding more work to their current workload isn't the greatest of ideas and I'm sure they'd also disagree with needing to take such unnecessary drastic actions as the current report system already works just fine; someone (or enough people, which ever) reports an inappropriate or misplaced thread, the Moderator/Admin will take care of it as time permits. As the old saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
If they are that busy, maybe we need more of them. Would @Progster like to be one? If untagged threads pended approval, then maybe not as many inappropriate or misplaced threads will get reported.

If they are that busy, maybe we need more of them. Would @Progster like to be one? If untagged threads pended approval, then maybe not as many inappropriate or misplaced threads will get reported.

I don't think that's your call to make on who'd like to be a Moderator; besides, if Brent felt the need that there should be more people on the Moderator Team, He and Nitro'd likely call on people to submit some sort of Application in adding more people to their ranks in the future. For reference, the 2 Admins are Brent and Nitro, and the 3 Moderators are tree, clg114, and Ste11aeres. These 5 amazing people have been dealing with the most excellent Policing of the Forums I've seen, and I've been here almost a year and have not seen such a thing happen regarding seeking out any new Applicants. So if they haven't brought it up, they must be doing fine with how they're handling things at present.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Edit
The thread you tried to link me about Brent looking for people to fill the Open Positions for an Admin and Moderator, along with Community Manager is over Two and a Half Years Old. At the time of that threads creation, those were the available positions. Seeing as such that it's currently April of 2019, that's very likely no longer the case. Also, Brent was, at the time, looking for new Staff Members and did so by making a Post about it. No one can just waltz into Brents' PMs and ask for a Staff Position, it's not your a-typical Walmart or Fast Food Restaurant where you can ask for an Application. As I said above, if Brent feels the need that there needs to be more people on the team, he'll ask.

Please give more thought and read more thoroughly into what I've said before giving an attempt to prove me wrong.

Last edited:
This is totally a non-issue. It doesn't work like that. If I wanted to be a moderator, I would either need to be invited by the administration, or wait until a vacancy came up and then apply - not going to happen soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom