• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tabletop/card/board games (both physical and digital)

Misery

Amalga Heart
V.I.P Member
Okay, so, lately I seem to have developed a new special interest, which is quite an experience... not something I go through very often!

Board/card games, specifically, which often also fall into the "tabletop" category for some people (though usually that word is about things like D&D). As a kid, I'd always loved the idea of these, and indeed had some... but never got to use them, as I didnt know anyone that was at all interested. Family members just watched TV and movies as their only hobbies, and what few friends I had thought the games were boring. And indeed, thinking back on those very specific sorts of games, alot of them were quite braindead... the sort of games that were popular in the States back in the 80s and 90s, usually involving zero strategy at all.

Fast forward to today, and I find a game called Sentinels of the Multiverse. Specifically, the digital adaptation of it. It's a co-operative card game. Each player chooses a hero character, each with their own specific deck and powers, and you all go up against a powerful villain character, who isnt controlled by any players but instead acts automatically. I loved this idea, and looking into it revealed a whole world of these interesting games. What's more, games like Sentinels can be played solo, with one player controlling any number of characters on their own (and indeed, some people into board/card games will almost exclusively focus on solo-playable games). I soon discovered some other interesting games, which I immediately bought. A couple were digital, and bought on Steam. And others were physical, and bought through Amazon (bleh).

These games are so very different though from those braindead ones that I had as a kid. The direct opposite, really. Just as an example, here's a couple of photos of the one I just finished playing:

board1.jpg

board2.jpg

This games is called Eldritch Horror. It takes characters and themes from Lovecraft's works, and puts them into a board game form. Like Sentinels, it is a co-operative game. The player group of investigators, trying to save the world from one of the Old Ones, and trying not to go bat#^$# insane in the process. There's a bunch of different characters and Old Ones to pick from.

The game is every bit as hideously complicated as it looks. Every single card has a bunch of text on it, explaining what it does (and often, giving some story/lore as well). There are often many cards to deal with at once. Players have item cards they can use, the boss (big card in the second screenshot) has it's own cards that it uses to make everyone crazy and/or on fire. There are SO MANY CARDS. They're all seperated into lots of different decks, too. There are a whopping 11 decks in use in the first photo, all of them important, all serving a unique purpose. On top of that, SO MANY TOKENS. They all do different things. The larger ones have even more text on the back, and the little green ones have small pictures on the back denoting where they go on the board when drawn. Even the board itself is complicated. And that's JUST the base game. The expansions... of which there are 8... add even more stuff. Hell, 4 of them can add entire new side boards with even more places for characters and monsters to roam. As if the thing doesnt take up enough space as it is.

These games are often VERY difficult too. Co-op games arent really very exciting if the players are winning all the time... they're at their best when even skilled players have to really work at it to defeat the dimensional horror of the week. As it is, in the photos above, I was near the end of the game, with things getting very dire. The boss was near victory, and I still had plenty to do to have the chance to finish it off. That accursed card in the second photo with all of the tentacle tokens on it nearly ruined my team by itself. It essentially translates to "Every turn, when X thing shows up, blow up the universe 3 times and everyone is covered in flaming bees and a horse kicks you for good measure". I mean, okay, that's not the actual effect, but.... it's close enough to how nasty it was. These games are good at producing very stressful "how can we possibly stop THAT?" situations. I did actually manage to win that game.... barely. It took like 4 hours. But I was totally mentally engaged with it the whole time... exactly what I want out of a hobby.

On the opposite side of things, we have stuff like this:

Cottage-Garden-Lucie-Marasco-1.jpg

This game is called Cottage Garden. I got it by mistake, when I ordered something entirely different from Amazon. It looked interesting though, so I decided to keep it and try it out. And it's great! It's the opposite of the previous game. It's a nice, relaxing game about creating flower gardens out of those Tetris-style pieces. While there is alot of strategy involved, it's a game that anyone can learn very easily. And it has a great presentation and alot of charm to it. There's even this wheelbarrow thing that you assemble, which rolls along a track made of Tetris blocks as more get picked up, and little sleeping cat tokens that can be used in the garden boards. You can play it VS other players or solo, but even VS other players, it's a very non-aggressive game. I liked it alot, and soon went up and picked up the next game, as it's part of a trilogy of nature-themed games.

And of course, there's all sorts of other things. The many, MANY variants of Solitaire, for instance. Play them on a table or on a computer screen... they're the same game, really.

So yeah, that's that. Anyone else into board/card/whatever games at all? Whether simple or complex as hell, doesnt matter. If you are, tell me about them!

@Misery wish I could send your post to my "aspie" friend. I did tell him to check into the last game you talked about. He's played Magic the Gathering for years and years and is really good at it. But I thought he might like to try something new. Never can tell with him though. I might get this game(Eldritch Horror) and send it to him if it's not too expensive. He lives in Brazil and the customs duty is usually more than the items I send so it gets really expensive as I surely wouldn't want him to pay customs on a gift. But hard is right up his alley- he's brilliant. Got graduation and birthday already covered so maybe just I want to send you something gift?

I would have liked to be into board games at times, but I never actually knew enough people locally who were into that sort of thing to put any game nights together. And now I'm old and lazy and feeling like video games (which you can play alone) and roleplaying games (which you can play online) is much easier. It all certainly looks spectacular, though! :)

I would have liked to be into board games at times, but I never actually knew enough people locally who were into that sort of thing to put any game nights together. And now I'm old and lazy and feeling like video games (which you can play alone) and roleplaying games (which you can play online) is much easier. It all certainly looks spectacular, though! :)

All of these are playable alone, actually. Some of them have digital versions too; Sentinels of the Multiverse (not shown here, but it's fantastic) can be found on Steam or iOS/Android, and even Cottage Garden has a PC & mobile version, much to my surprise. But yeah, if a game cant be played solo... I dont bother with it. I mean, me, socialize? Without the computer being part of it? LOL NOPE.

But also I really just dont have the patience to deal with other players. Even if I did know a bunch of people into it, playing with a group would mean alot of WAITING. Other players sitting there going "Um" and "Uhhh...." while making decisions, when I'm sitting here thinking "Dagnabit, the solution is obvious, use the deathray on the zombie badger already!" If I'm playing these alone, I can keep the game going at my pace.

But also there's the "alpha gamer" problem, common with games like these. That's the guy that sits there just telling everyone else what moves they should make, in a co-op game like these. That'd drive me totally up the wall.

So yeah.... solo. I look at video games the same way. No, I dont want to wait for Bob to argue with his inventory screen, I'm just going to run over there and start attacking stuff. I tell ya, that approach made MMOs pretty tough.

Just looked it up- which one is the basic starter game? There's so many!

Here's the starter game: Eldritch Horror

For new players, getting the Forgotten Lore expansion (small box, not very expensive) is also recommended. It prevents the base game's content from repeating itself too quickly by adding more cards to every deck type. Most fans seem to consider it essential.

Oh, also, he'd need more dice. The game comes with 4 rather crappy dice. 6-sided ones, specifically. But it frequently wants you to roll more than 4. I have no idea who decided to package it that way, but I hope someone got fired for it.

One way or another though, it's all pricey. That's the problem with this hobby: It's very expensive. Even moreso if you get into a game with alot of expansions. Aeon's End (the one I mentioned in that other topic) is pricey enough, but Eldritch Horror is even more expensive for those that want to get all of the content, since FOUR of the 8 expansions are big box types (AKA, they cost almost as much as the base game). Fortunately these games are good even without expansions, and most fans will tell you to expand upon them slowly, not all at once.

The other big downside to this particular game: The strategy involved can be a little obtuse at times. Alot of people kinda bounce off of this one, as the sheer amount of dice rolls involved give them an impression of "it's all just luck! There's no STRATEGY to it!". Which isnt true, there's ALOT of strategy involved, but I can see why that impression appears. So it might have a bit of a frustrating learning curve. Didnt happen for me specifically BECAUSE I'm used to RNG-heavy games, but... yeah, it gets at some players. And lastly, it's a LONG game. A playthrough can take like 2-4 hours, win or lose.

I suspect that someone who has been into Magic though, probably wont mind the randomness bit. Magic itself is notorious for having a sometimes-irritating random element to it.

If you dont want to lose pieces, get Tabletop simulator on Steam. It's super fun, and you can make your own stuff. Plus playing with other people is a hoot.

If you dont want to lose pieces, get Tabletop simulator on Steam. It's super fun, and you can make your own stuff. Plus playing with other people is a hoot.

Ooh, I'd forgotten about this. And it has VR support. I could angrily swat pieces off the board without having to clean them up!

Granted it depends on what games people have put on there... still pretty much just after solo stuff. I see there's like 25 billionty things on the workshop though...

My favorite board game is Twilight Imperium.
It's like Axis and Allies in space but with less focus on combat - Posturing, Politics and Trade have a lot of power.
Unfortunately I have a hard time getting enough people willing to put in the time it takes to play (3+ hours usually)

My favorite board game is Twilight Imperium.
It's like Axis and Allies in space but with less focus on combat - Posturing, Politics and Trade have a lot of power.
Unfortunately I have a hard time getting enough people willing to put in the time it takes to play (3+ hours usually)

Yeah, that was one of the reasons why I too could never get friends interested. They were fine with like, things that lasted 20 minutes. They werent fine with staring at a board for an hour. Ironically, those same friends are now into D&D... try working that one out. They still wont touch board games though. I try not to think too hard about that one, it's a headache waiting to happen.

And something like Eldritch Horror does indeed take over 3 hours to play in most cases.... and that's me playing solo. It'd take way longer with a group, with all the talking and arguing and blah blah blah. And I'm looking to get myself a copy of Mage Knight also, which takes even LONGER, and is even more complicated, I hear.

I looked up this Twilight Imperium game on the BoardGameGeeks site.... It absolutely looks like my sort of thing. Or it would, if it could be played solo... It looks good in any case.

On a side note, these games really get bloody expensive sometimes. I see that Twilight Imperium costs $100... getting Mage Knight will drain me of a similar amount. Might be one reason why it can be hard to find gaming groups sometimes... people have a hard time getting their own copies and so are restricted to playing with ONLY those specific friends that can bring their own. Which can hurt their interest in said game.

I've played Mage Knight it's pretty good.
If I remember right there's a Battletech that uses similar rules -

I used to play Warhammer 40k as well
I played Tyranid, Tau mostly.
Used tokens instead of the miniatures most of the time - too expensive for me otherwise.

I also enjoy pen & paper RPGs my favorite system is Silhouette - It's very flexible - It does lean more towards more modern/Sci-Fi settings (which I like) handles scales from personal to Strategic.

One of the games I want to try out is the classic Battletech

Yes, I love tabletop games. I go to the UK Games Expo whenever I can so I can play new games coming out.

I own a few games digitally but tend to play non-digitally because of lack of players. My husband and I have 125 games between us. :)

Some of my favourite games off the top of my head are Love Letter, Euphoria, Machi Koro, Wingspan, Tsuro, and 6 nimmt!

Used to play Magic the Gathering but lost interest. Never have anyone to play DnD type games because no game has ever gone beyond one session!

So glad to see others who play! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom