• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Synesthesia

I've always seen colors with numbers and letters for as long as I can remember, and those colors haven't changed to my knowledge.

I took a test at www.synesthete.org and scored .49 (anything below 1.0 is clinically significant, above 2.0 is more "normal"). My "speed-congruency test" was 93% accurate (anything below 85% typically rules out synesthesia). And my Vividness of Visual Imagery Quotient was 4.0625 (above 3 suggests a higher level of vividness relative to the general population).

Does anyone here experience it?

Personally I see color when I hear some things.

I have various tactile sensations that are triggered by certain sounds, which I think is a rare form of this judging by the wiki page (I know - never the "gold standard").

What is it called when things like sights or sounds (pictures scenes or songs) produce intense feelings or emotions? Like joy, anger, content, sadness, crying? Is it another form of synthesia?

I don't mean "that song reminds me of.... Or makes me sad... Or that is beautiful". I mean a serious attitude change head to toe. For example, while looking at a painting, getting all flushed and excited, shivers, seratonin release, intense emotion.

What is it called when things like sights or sounds (pictures scenes or songs) produce intense feelings or emotions? Like joy, anger, content, sadness, crying? Is it another form of synthesia?

I don't mean "that song reminds me of.... Or makes me sad... Or that is beautiful". I mean a serious attitude change head to toe. For example, while looking at a painting, getting all flushed and excited, shivers, seratonin release, intense emotion.
I'm not sure.
It could be soms kind emotional recognition process.
Every bit of information we proces goes trough The brains emotional center (amygdala) and from there it goes to our memory storage. When we remember something, we also experience whichever emotion was linked to it. There could be numerous ... Malfunctions (?)
Subcontious memory could be the cause of what you describe.

Synesthesia , as far as I know is the senses blending.
Everyone has it atleast a little for example: Immagine a round shape and a shape with corners, think of the words kiki and bobo. Most people will discribe kiki as having sharp edges and bobo as being more rounded.

I think what you describe has a different name.
It does seem similar.

Rocco, I have got synesthesia, too and asperger´s syndrome. My mother has only got synesthesia.
I was searching the internet to find something like that what you are trying to explain.
Lots of certain "things" produce feelings with something like euphoria. I experienced that with Maths and Physics when I was 5 years old with the aid of a cartoon. Now the music of this cartoon also give me such feelings.
Different things cause something like anger with a strange, energetic feeling. All feelings have got colours, too.
Well, I thought about that and now I think that autism and synesthesia are needed for that.

I don't know if what I have is it or not, I for as long as I could remember, see people's faces in the juxtaposition of the hands on analog clock faces. IOW, 4:30 is a different person than 7:29.

I took a test at www.synesthete.org and scored .49 (anything below 1.0 is clinically significant, above 2.0 is more "normal"). My "speed-congruency test" was 93% accurate (anything below 85% typically rules out synesthesia). And my Vividness of Visual Imagery Quotient was 4.0625 (above 3 suggests a higher level of vividness relative to the general population).
I took that test too, scored .5--about the same. I see colors for letters, numbers, months and days.

I also have the spacial synesthesia as Sky123 describes it--the week or year is sort of laid out in my mind and you can scroll through it and zoom in on parts. For more detailed, long-term memories, I guess I connect them to an image (usually a setting for a certain time period), and that helps keep the years separate and find specific memories by association with the image rather than just a color.

I also have some motion-sound synesthesia (test here:
)...they have a test for specific notes related to vibration at different points in space at the synesthete website--or they did back when I took it--but it didn't give me an overall score, so I'm not sure how good I was at that. It's not exactly something I do in my daily life. I was usually within a note or so for the same gif image, though, and I don't have perfect pitch. Can anyone think of what that would be related to in an everyday context? I can only really imagine the reverse relation, like having a sort of 3D effect for music and feeling where, in relation to your body, each of the notes/parts are, but less seeing something blink/buzz/vibrate in space and hearing a note in your head.

I think those are all more common ones...anybody have taste/smell or personification synesthesia? Those sound crazy...

Royinpink. Nice to meet someone with the same time synesthesia. I used to think that everyone thought like that. One day I mentioned it to someone and they didn't know what I was talking about. Started asking around and none of my friends/family had it. Then years and years later I was googling synesthesia to look into the number/colour thing for someone else. Came across the type I had and couldn't believe it. V interesting isn't it.

I also did the synesthesia tests at: The Synesthesia Battery

My results:
0.49 [anything below 1.0 is significant]
"Speed-congruency test" was 90% accurate
Vividness of Visual Imagery Quotient was 2.5625
(above 3 suggests a higher level of vividness relative to the general population).
I would have been surprised if mine had been higher than average.

Sometimes when people talk, I hear a color. The color is their
feeling or condition. I keep track of the colors I hear so that
I can match them up with words, eventually.

Using commonly accepted terms to describe
feelings/condition of a person makes for more
general communication ability than observing
"He talked pinkish-beige."

Digits are colored.The digits 0 - 9.
They don't change when
they are used in combination.

By the time I was in high school I learned to not talk
about the way I see/experience/hear. I don't need people
telling me that I am hallucinating or making stuff up to
get attention. I wasn't then and I don't now.
:evergreen:

There are certain intense physical sensations I experience as a very bright white, but other than that I have no color associations. I wonder if I really have anything that could be called synaesthesia otherwise. I do have a thing where I find musical sounds separated by space in accordance with their pitch. I thought that was normal, but here's a typical conversation where I've brought that up:

Person: Sure, you could think of it like that
Me: Yeah, but I actually feel it
Person: *odd look*

So I suspect this may not exactly be everyone else's experience (although pitch is described in language related to height so it can't be all that strange, can it?)

I don't believe I usually have synesthesia but I do have some interesting experiences with color.

I really hope this is not tmi, but when I experience an orgasm I very strong feel a color. It only lasts 1-5 minutes. It's almost as if there is a temporary colored filter through which I see and think and understand everything.

I studied human sexuality in college so I'm aware that there are multiple types of orgasms and I believe there could be a link between them and the colors.

I also have a very strong connection with rainbows. When I see all 7 colors in order (and only if they're in order) it's very exciting to me. I'm still not positive what this means and have yet to find anyone else who feels so strongly about those colors.

I don't believe I usually have synesthesia but I do have some interesting experiences with color.

I really hope this is not tmi, but when I experience an orgasm I very strong feel a color. It only lasts 1-5 minutes. It's almost as if there is a temporary colored filter through which I see and think and understand everything.
Actually, sexually related synesthesia is one of the topics
within this previously cited link for tests: http://www.synesthete.org/

New Threads

Top Bottom