• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Suspected Asperger's all my life

Were you diagnosed with Asperger's as a child or an adult?

• Adult

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Child

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Self-diagnosed as adult

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

Kitty1995

I'm a 24 year old female. I'm diagnosed with ADHD since 2016 but I think there is more to it.
What has made me suspect Asperger's?
As a child, I had to attend occupational therapy because I would have meltdowns if seams of my clothing would touch my skin. I had to wear all my clothes inside out. Sensory overload made it impossible for me to wear buttons, zippers, scratchy fabrics, underwear or socks. I would melt down when my mother brushed my hair, shampoo'd my hair etc.
When my mother would take me to Kindergarten, the sensory overload caused me to hide in the corner under a coat for at least 2 hours after she leaves, and asking nobody to disturb me until I could adjust to the surroundings.
I've never liked photographs. I have never smiled in photographs, or am disturbed and panic when somebody wants to take one of me or my face. It's always been this way.
I practically came out of the womb with a straight face.
I find it difficult to understand other people's intentions, or I often just straight up do not understand how to join a conversation with people, or people will tell me I am being rude, inappropriate, or they dislike me, and I am completely unaware of the social reason why during and after.
Meeting new people, giving a good impression is very very hard.
As a child, teen and adult I absolutely do not enjoy being touched, physical affection
I do have extremely specific interests that I go into great detail knowing about, which other people find 'random' or 'useless'.

As I've grown, I've learned to force myself to make eye contact with others (sometimes OVERLY so, as I cannot tell how much eye contact people want?) To wear clothes normally (I still always prefer seamless/tagless/wireless clothing or I get frusterated. but I still cannot be in a photograph and have massive anxiety about it.
I would say I am average to slightly above average IQ, not a super genius but I do consider myself very intelligent without sounding too egotistic.
Anyway, I was just wondering if this sounds like aspergers to anyone. Ive never been formally diagnosed, and when they screened me for ADHD, I dont think autism screening was involved. I know you're not doctors but maybe some of you have shared my experiences and can give some insight.

Im not sure if this counts but i am hyper sensitive to anything itchy and pain. I remeber a little about some trouble with clothing though not on the scale your talking about. I do have aspergers officially diagnosed.

Hi Kitty1995

welcome to af.png

@Kitty1995 that does sound like Asperger's or ASD to me. That's not a diagnosis, none of us can diagnose you over the Internet and I think very few of us can diagnose even real time, it needs to be a doctorate-level practitioner with special experience or training in autism.

You can decide whether you really want/need a professional diagnosis or can be satisfied with a self-diagnosis. I wanted the professional diagnosis mostly because I feel people can mislead themselves quite a bit, and I wanted the independent verification.

Welcome to the forum, in any case.

Agree with what GadAbout said both that it sounds like ASD and we can't do diagnosis. So just take it for what it is worth. I think that would have freaked your obstetrician out, coming out with a straight face. :D

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom