• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Surviving Christmas marathon

onlything

V.I.P Member
I'm sure that many of you have to go through family gatherings during Christmas. It's like a marathon lasting for days, sometimes weeks if you count the beginnings of the December birthday parties and the subsequent New Years Eve. Don't get me wrong. I don't have much against my family. We had our fall outs, misunderstandings and silent years but right now it's all in the 'let's gather every day for two weeks or so in December because why not' phase and, well, it's highly exhausting to me, especially that some of my relatives are very forceful, intolerant and easy to anger or get drunk. Very loud all in all. Even half a day with them makes me exhausted, I don't have time to spend on my projects, designs. Obviously can't read or watch anything during the gathering. Most of the time I take frequent bathroom breaks but I can't stay in the toilet for more than 5 minutes before I hear them talking and calling me to come back to them.

It's exhausting, there are still days before 1st January where I come back to my flat in another country, and well, also the lack of progress on my projects makes me anxious.

How do you survive this marathon? Do you have any tips to share?

I am relieved, because I have not had to deal with any of what you describe, for 17 years, as I stopped celebrating this festival.

I used to get so incredably stressed because it used to be a competition between hubby and me, who could get the most presents, which was exhusting to me and thus, wow so glad it is all over.

I am relieved, because I have not had to deal with any of what you describe, for 17 years, as I stopped celebrating this festival.

I used to get so incredably stressed because it used to be a competition between hubby and me, who could get the most presents, which was exhusting to me and thus, wow so glad it is all over.
I'm happy for you. This is the kind of stress I don't wish on anyone.
I have a kind of sentiment for this holiday seeing as it was, ironically, in a way the calmest time of the year during my childhood(with my parents being less willing to kill each other and no school to be bullied in)though right now there is not much of this calm left. It's just tiring.

I've decided to cancel Christmas next year and will be telling my sisters and extended family this. From now on , I'm just going to give presents when I feel like it or see something I know someone would want. I love giving gifts but Christmas gets to be too much of a strain. One at a time is much more appealing financially and otherwise.

I, too, do not participate if i cannot. My family knows.

I'm sure that many of you have to go through family gatherings during Christmas. It's like a marathon lasting for days, sometimes weeks if you count the beginnings of the December birthday parties and the subsequent New Years Eve. Don't get me wrong. I don't have much against my family. We had our fall outs, misunderstandings and silent years but right now it's all in the 'let's gather every day for two weeks or so in December because why not' phase and, well, it's highly exhausting to me, especially that some of my relatives are very forceful, intolerant and easy to anger or get drunk. Very loud all in all. Even half a day with them makes me exhausted, I don't have time to spend on my projects, designs. Obviously can't read or watch anything during the gathering. Most of the time I take frequent bathroom breaks but I can't stay in the toilet for more than 5 minutes before I hear them talking and calling me to come back to them.

It's exhausting, there are still days before 1st January where I come back to my flat in another country, and well, also the lack of progress on my projects makes me anxious.

How do you survive this marathon? Do you have any tips to share?

That would drive me absolutely bananas. Sadly, I have no good advice to offer on this one. I suffer from the polar opposite of too much social interaction, I have too little interaction. Usually I am quite comfortable being on my own but this time of year it is lonely. The dominant message during the holidays is "BE WITH PEOPLE!" It's in the ads on TV and the discussions about holiday parties and gatherings - it' everywhere. I was actually grateful to have someone call me last night and ask if I wanted to come to a little gathering today.

289391F5-8374-48C4-BF33-C30D6AF70AA8.png

I just...don't. At all. Nobody bothers me about it. And if they do, I have the "I have to work that day sorry" excuse loaded up. Of course, now that Christmas is over, now it's ducking New Years parties...

New Threads

Top Bottom