• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

(Survey, USA) Developing an app for adults on the spectrum to help with disability benefits

Chris Reierson

Hello!

My name is Chris Reierson and I'm a UX Design student formally diagnosed with ASD.

I'm currently developing an app for adults on the spectrum who receive or are interested in receiving federal and/or state disability benefits (e.g. SSI, SSDI, Medicaid, etc.).
This is a school project (UX Design) and is absolutely not made for any commercial purposes.

I find that too often, the language and interface(s) used to explain federal/state disability benefits are neither written nor designed to be intuitive for those of us on the spectrum.

The app I'm working on would attempt to rectify this institutional inequity, by giving adults on the spectrum an all-in-one resource to answer questions they have regarding their benefits in a clear, concise, and easy to use way.

To make this app as effective as possible, I need your help: if you are willing to do so, please answer the questions in the section in blue, below, and reply with your answers to this topic.
These questions concern your understanding of various federal and state benefits, as well as some basic demographic questions (e.g. internet and/or phone app usage).

Respondents can be adults on the spectrum, or the parents of adult children on the spectrum.

Note: my immediate goal with this topic is to reach out to a few of you to set up a virtual interview. The interview will basically expand upon the questions asked here and will be more confidential. If you want to reach out to me directly to set up an interview, please PM me, or email me at [email protected]

Given the limited scope and time frame of this project, I am currently only seeking participants from the midwestern United States, specifically in Wisconsin.
I'd love to see this branch out across the United States eventually, though.
Even non-WI residents can still comment: every little bit of data helps my research.

Thanks for reading and hope to hear your responses!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Survey:

Q1. Do you reside in any of the following regions of Wisconsin?

a. Northern (Bayfield, Douglas, Polk, Taylor, Florence, etc. counties)
b. West Central (Pierce, Marathon, Adams, La Crosse, Portage, etc. counties)
c. Northeastern (Fond du Lac, Marquette, Door, Marinette, Outagamie, etc. counties)
d. South Central (Dane, Richland, Dodge, Rock, Grant, etc. counties)
e. Southeastern (Milwaukee, Racine, Kenosha, Waukesha, Sheboygan, etc. counties)
f. No, but I used to live there (and no longer do)
g. No, but I live near Wisconsin (Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa or Michigan)
h. No, I do not live and never have lived in or near Wisconsin

Q2. How often do you use the internet?

a. Daily and/or multiple times per day
b. A few times per week
c. Once a week
d. A few times per month
e. A few times per year or less
f. I'm not sure

Q3. How often do you use smart phone apps? (iOS or Android)

a. Very often: multiple times per day
b. Often: once per day or several times per week
c. Occasionally: once per week or several times per month
d. Rarely: once per month or several times per year
e. I'm not sure

Q4. Have you or your adult child been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder, or have reason to believe you/they have an autism spectrum disorder?

a. Yes, I have or strongly suspect I have an ASD
b. Yes, I am the parent or guardian of an adult child with an ASD
c. No

Q5. Do you or your adult child currently receive any federal or state benefits related to your ASD/your adult child's ASD?

a. Yes
b. No
c. No, but I/my adult child used to receive benefits
d. I don't know or am unsure

Q6. Are you aware of any of the following agencies, programs or terms? (Select all that apply)

a. Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
b. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
c. Social Security Subsidies
d. Impairment-Related Work Expenses (IRWE)
e. Medicare
f. Medicaid
g. FoodShare
h. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
i. Aging & Disability Resource Center (ADRC)
j. Dept. of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR)
k. None of the above

Q7. Have you used or received assistance from any of the following agencies or programs? (Select all that apply)

e. Medicare
f. Medicaid
g. FoodShare
k. None of the above

Q8. If you or your adult child receives federal or state disability benefits (including any previously mentioned agencies or programs), how clearly do you understand them/how they work?

a. Very Clearly: I understand them completely
b. Somewhat Clearly: some things are confusing, but I basically get it
c. Somewhat Unclearly: many things are confusing, though I understand some of the basics
d. Very Unclearly: I don’t understand them at all
e. Not Applicable (do not receive federal or state disability benefits)

Q9. Would you like to know more about any of the following agencies, programs or terms? (Select all that apply)

e. Medicare
f. Medicaid
g. FoodShare
k. None of the above

Q10. Regarding federal or state disability benefits, agencies or programs: is there a particular question you have which you just can't seem to get a straight answer for? (Answer with as little or as much detail as you please)

END OF SURVEY

Q1. Do you reside in any of the following regions of Wisconsin?
No, I do not live and never have lived in or near Wisconsin

Q2. How often do you use the internet?
Daily and/or multiple times per day

Q3. How often do you use smart phone apps? (iOS or Android)
Often: once per day or several times per week (Android)

Q4. Have you or your adult child been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder, or have reason to believe you/they have an autism spectrum disorder?
Yes, I have or strongly suspect I have an ASD

Q5. Do you or your adult child currently receive any federal or state benefits related to your ASD/your adult child's ASD?
Yes

Q6. Are you aware of any of the following agencies, programs or terms?
Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
Medicare
Medicaid
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
Dept. of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR)

Q7. Have you used or received assistance from any of the following agencies or programs?
Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
Dept. of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR)

Q8. If you or your adult child receives federal or state disability benefits (including any previously mentioned agencies or programs), how clearly do you understand them/how they work?
Somewhat Unclearly: many things are confusing, though I understand some of the basics

Q9. Would you like to know more about any of the following agencies, programs or terms?
Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Social Security Subsidies
Impairment-Related Work Expenses (IRWE)
Medicare
Medicaid
FoodShare
Aging & Disability Resource Center (ADRC)

Q10. Regarding federal or state disability benefits, agencies or programs: is there a particular question you have which you just can't seem to get a straight answer for?
My issue is finding someone to help me navigate all the different programs and whether or not I qualify/need to apply for a program. Also, how to navigate health care programs when one can't afford Medicaid/Medicare, but county health care won't accept you. Do I actually qualify for no-cost Medicaid while I wait to be eligible for Medicare??

Hello!

My name is Chris Reierson and I'm a UX Design student formally diagnosed with ASD.

The app I'm working on would attempt to rectify this institutional inequity, by giving adults on the spectrum an all-in-one resource to answer questions they have regarding their benefits in a clear, concise, and easy to use way.

For many years I was a liability underwriter working for a major insurer in both commercial and personal lines. In underwriting contractual liability I learned firsthand the obnoxious complexity of contract law, limiting only government and our civil courts to resolve such issues and regulate such activity through the actions of plaintiffs and defendants.

Leaving the rest of us to depend upon a legal community which likely has no intention of changing this equation.

Not only for those of us on the spectrum, but pretty much everyone outside the realm of our legal system. Even as a professional underwriter I was forbidden to interpret or describe coverage to agents and their policyholders as outlined by the insurance contract itself. That in accordance with the contract, one had to formally submit a claim to determine actual coverage.

That interpreting a contract outside the realm of various legal parameters is inherently precarious.

Futile as it may be, you should be soliciting elected representatives, law schools and the courts. Not the public, who has no serious understanding in attempting to fundamentally redraft contract law. Knowing that any third party app created to interpret such complex language puts whomever created it at great risk in a civil court.

In essence this is quite a leap compared to the Roman Catholic Church abandoning its use of Latin in church services. Pax vobiscum. ;)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom