• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Suggestion: Change the rules for controversial and heated threads

What do you think of this?

• The rules are already okay

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • I feel the same way

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

Matthew Behnke

I think we should make it where people should be able to express their free thoughts in debated and argued threads or we should close them, because people's minds can someone go out of their heads when writing them and may not know if their post is violating.

If there is certain posts in the thread that make people mad or not wanna be followed to it due to its furious content, it should just be shut from further replies or removed, because then the threads will constantly be moderated or constantly reminded.

I am kind of open minded about my thoughts so it's kinda hard to keep such thoughts to myself, I really don't wanna be in a thread where a bunch of people are arguing about a certain topic and having to go off topic or argue to get my point.

I just think if people are so angry over a thread or don't like it when people say stuff that is not in their view, it should just be closed, because then they will have to follow that thread and have to follow each argument which triggers response.

It also creates a hard time for site admins, they have to go into every thread with heated content and constantly revise it to make sure it does not cause further flaming between users, it would save them more time if it was closed, removed, or the rules were changed.

If they thought and discussed such a thing, they would have implemented it already.

Also, locking threads left and right all willy nilly because of people being childish regarding their views on things isn't the way to go.

Constantly Moderating things, reminders, and looking at reported posts is a part of the Moderating job. Nothing you can do about it sadly.

Would also be quite nice if people'd stop trying to tell the Staff what to do with the Site Rules.

Last edited:
I don't think you necessarily have to close threads or delete them as I originally thought, I think they should just mark it with sensitive topic like they have done with other threads as a warning and just keep all the sensitive stuff in there or make a sensitive subforum.

That could work without closing each thread and making the OP more angry, it could also help people know they are walking into a thread with content that other users might take offense of and could avoid going into it.

This is another thing they could do if they don't want to get rid of threads that have arguments in them, and people who do not enjoy those type of threads don't have to go in or they can speak civilly, as I post this reply, I am saying that there are tools already for moderators to implement something like that.

I'm having difficult understanding the first post but your second post I do agree with.

And I don't think it's really "telling the mods what to do" just to make a polite thread with your ideas.

"I think we should make it where people should be able to express their free thoughts in debated and argued threads or we should close them, because people's minds can someone go out of their heads when writing them and may not know if their post is violating."

First off, debate all you like, but we do not tolerate arguments on our forum.

If this staff sees something spinning out of control, we take steps to eliminate the problem early on.
You are always going to have differing opinion, but sometimes they serve to point out when someone is having a myopic view on a subject.

If you see something you feel is violating the rules, report it and let the staff handle it.
That is their job.

"I am kind of open minded about my thoughts so it's kinda hard to keep such thoughts to myself, I really don't wanna be in a thread where a bunch of people are arguing about a certain topic and having to go off topic or argue to get my point."

Once again, arguments will not be tolerated here.

"I just think if people are so angry over a thread or don't like it when people say stuff that is not in their view, it should just be closed, because then they will have to follow that thread and have to follow each argument which triggers response."

An over-moderated forum will drive members away.

We do close threads after they have worn out their welcome.

Last edited:
"It also creates a hard time for site admins, they have to go into every thread with heated content and constantly revise it to make sure it does not cause further flaming between users, it would save them more time if it was closed, removed, or the rules were changed."

Yes, we do respond to each and every thread that gets out of line already.

Adding more workload to the staff will only add more confusion to the process.

As you add more rules, it will require more staff members to police the site, which will add further response time to an issue as each member checks in.
We all work here on a volunteer basis and have lives outside of this forum.

"I don't think you necessarily have to close threads or delete them as I originally thought, I think they should just mark it with sensitive topic like they have done with other threads as a warning and just keep all the sensitive stuff in there or make a sensitive subforum."

Often times, we don't mark a thread as sensitive because the banner attracts members to see what is sensitive about it, so it actually backfires.

I was not necessarily trying to favor in arguing, and it was not the thread's entire point, I already expressed I don't like to do it and I wasn't trying to say that when making it, I said that I didn't like it and did not want to happen again.

I am not in favor of arguments or support it, I am just saying there should be measures to prevent, not to make threads and let them cause arguing, I said that I didn't want to argue to get my points across and did not want to do that, not my cup of tea.

So the overall thread is not trying to say arguments are tolerated here, its just saying there should be certain actions by the site to prevent that and just an opinion of that, I am explaining how we can help clear up heated topics and prevent those type of discussions.

But you are kinda right and as a admin I don't see all your points wrong.
I understand your feelings on this, but we have a process that we feel works fine already.

We will always hear a member out, so don't take this as a refusal to listen to what you have to say.

New Threads

Top Bottom