• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Suddenly wanting either one or no children.

AngelWings17

I've always had an interest in having kids, two to be exact, but now I'm starting to feel like I don't want kids anymore. Or at the very least have one. My boyfriend's insistent on having two because he thinks that just one will be spoiled. We both agree that three will be a bit much to handle, but I just want one child now and he keeps pushing for two. Neither of us are ready yet for kids, but why am I just now having second thoughts on having kids? I want to sit down with him and talk about it, but I'm not sure what to say.

Does anyone have any advice for a rather confused aspie?

Having kids is one of those things that is so ingrained in society. When I was younger I thought I wanted kids...ish...but the older I got the more I realised that actually it wasn't what I wanted but what was expected. Now (age 29) I'm really glad I didn't bow to the intangible pressure, I really would hate to have a baby. (And it's REALLY hard, I now have 2 stepsons and though it sounds horrible to say, I wish I didn't - it was us or foster care and I'd never let that happen, but it's made me much worse)

Take your time to find out what you truly want, don't let your boyfriend pressure you. If I've ever learned a big lesson, it's to do what makes you happy, not what you think will make others happy.

Advise for this serious of a life altering decision? ...angels fear to tread .....

Having a baby means (among lots of other things!) that suddenly instead of you being just you, you are now grand central station for 3 people: 1. you, 2. your husband, boyfriend or other biological unit, and 3. the new human baby.

For more advice PM me as I really shouldn't say any more here.

No offense meant to anyone.

Maybe just one kid will be "spoiled", but that doesn't necessarily mean badly behaved. And to that there is a slightly higher chance it'll be an aspie than for most couples, too.

I don't want to be pregnant because it would be incredibly unpleasant and I have enough sensory issues as it is, and I don't want to risk my life to have the responsibility for a human being (with Youthful Tendencies Disorder, no less) and it's not really a responsibility I want anyway.

If any of those match your reasons for not wanting that second baby, or for that matter the first, tell your boyfriend.

IMO...
If you're going to have kids, have one, and then decide whether to have more. Then you'll have the actual experience to know what it is like. No need to plan out the exact specific number of future kids when you don't even have one yet!

I do think that one person in a couple strongly wanting kids, and another not wanting any kids at all is a different situation, and perhaps unresolvable. But that's not what's going on here.)

Last edited:
IMO...
If you're going to have kids, have one, and then decide whether to have more. Then you'll have the actual experience to know what it is like. No need to plan out the exact specific number of future kids when you don't even have one yet!

(Now, I do think that one person in a couple strongly wanting kids, and another not wanting kids at all is a different situation, and perhaps unresolvable. But that's not what's going on here.)

I think I totally agree with this after you have one child, you may decide to have more or decide one is enough.

I made a choice to wait until I was 30 to start having kids. This gave me time to get a life started prior to kids. For example finish school, buy a house and have a stable career.
There was times when I'd question whether I really wanted kids but when I turned 30 and had to make the decision on if I really wanted to be a dad the choice was simple. Now I'm 32 I have an awesome 2 year old son and I never regret the decision to wait or have a kid.

I'm a parent of two, currently aged 6 and 3.

I agree with others that making a decision to have a second child should wait until you have had your first. It is impossible to truly understand parenthood until you try it. :) Plus you never know what life will throw at you.

I went through a couple of periods in which i thought I wanted kids. Once was when I was going through puberty, so I believe that was hormonal/biological. The second was at around age 20 but it was more a fantasy of having a cute trophy than anything biological.

Despite not using contraception in most situations, I never fell pregnant. I assumed I was infertile, which worked fine for me and felt like fate. Later I learnt it was due to endometriosis.

When I met my second husband, I came up against the question of having kids. There was something different about this guy... It felt like fate that we met (we still feel this very strongly). He had always wanted kids. For the first time in my life I felt I really could see myself having one. After both having been burnt in our first marriages we decided to give our relationship a year and then we'd try for a baby. But fate had its way and I was pregnant two months after we met. Bang, like that. I was terrified.

I didn't know then that I am autistic. But I was obsessed. To try to cope with this huge change I had to research everything and find out everything... After the birth I faked happiness for so long, but I was resentful and frustrated at losing my independence, freedom, solitude...all those Aspie things I need to survive. I love my son, but...

While I was still in fake-perfect-mummy mode, and my hormones were still going crazy, I decided a second baby would be great. Get them all out of the way quickly, then move on to the next phase. But I miscarried, and we didn't feel like trying again for a long time. And in that time my hormones rebalanced and I had time to think. I drew up a table weighing up the pros and cons of having another baby. The table overwhelmingly leant towards the cons. I realised that if I had a hard time coping with my son it would be much harder with two. Something told me I was too selfish/self-interested to love a second child. So time passed.

A year and a half later I accidentally fell pregnant again. I was devastated, while my husband was ecstatic and refused to let me have an abortion... (This is a grossly simplified version of the story)... We fought about it and it was really tough, but somehow I eventually accepted that I would have to go through with it or risk our relationship. As the early weeks passed I knew instinctively that I was having a girl this time, and this changed things for me. I don't know why, it was a biological mother-daughter thing. I started to look forward to meeting her, which I hadn't done with my son at all. When the ultrasound showed it was indeed a girl, I was elated. I approached this pregnancy very differently and prepared myself psychologically.

I've tried to keep this short, and failed miserably, sorry! I have left out much that I feel is relevant, but this is getting ridiculously long!

For me, as an autist, two kids is incredibly hard going. Having kids has exacerbated my bad traits. My anger is always near the surface, and I suffer sensory overload often. I now keep noise reducing ear muffs in the kitchen for bad times. Our eldest we suspect is also Aspie. This brings extra challenges, and he and I are so alike yet we constantly clash. There is also my dissatisfaction at having my day dictated for me, despite loving routines. I feel like I'll never do anything meaningful with my life (although I am aware that having children is pretty meaningful, especially if they are bright and talented like my son). I don't cope well with those unexpected things that come with kids: wanting friends to come over at the drop of a hat, or emergencies, or kids not showing up on time, or sudden illnesses that require my constant presence and impinge on my personal time, etc. The social side of parenting is especially troublesome... My son wants to play with friends but I don't want to talk to anyone or their parents. I've never been a kid-friendly type! :)

But despite all the hard stuff that I'm struggling with, I also know that without these struggles I wouldn't have found out I'm autistic, because it was my search for answers to explain my constant anger with my kids that led me to it. Since then I've had an amazing awakening, finally understanding so much about myself.

I don't know if any if this will help you. But know that you are not alone in changing your mind. Remember than any choices you make now are not set in stone... Life never goes the way you plan it, as I well know with two unplanned kiddos!

I'm not sure how young you are (I'm soon to be 40), but my most conflicted time as far as do-I-don't-I-want-kids was from my mid teens to around age 22. After that I moved overseas and was too busy having a good time for a decade that the question never really came up (thankfully, for me). I'm a bit of a fatalist and so no matter what you feel now, nothing can predict what will happen when you're older. :bee:

Sorry, everyone, that this is so long. :oops:

I'm a parent of two, currently aged 6 and 3.

I agree with others that making a decision to have a second child should wait until you have had your first. It is impossible to truly understand parenthood until you try it. :) Plus you never know what life will throw at you.

I went through a couple of periods in which i thought I wanted kids. Once was when I was going through puberty, so I believe that was hormonal/biological. The second was at around age 20 but it was more a fantasy of having a cute trophy than anything biological.

Despite not using contraception in most situations, I never fell pregnant. I assumed I was infertile, which worked fine for me and felt like fate. Later I learnt it was due to endometriosis.

When I met my second husband, I came up against the question of having kids. There was something different about this guy... It felt like fate that we met (we still feel this very strongly). He had always wanted kids. For the first time in my life I felt I really could see myself having one. After both having been burnt in our first marriages we decided to give our relationship a year and then we'd try for a baby. But fate had its way and I was pregnant two months after we met. Bang, like that. I was terrified.

I didn't know then that I am autistic. But I was obsessed. To try to cope with this huge change I had to research everything and find out everything... After the birth I faked happiness for so long, but I was resentful and frustrated at losing my independence, freedom, solitude...all those Aspie things I need to survive. I love my son, but...

While I was still in fake-perfect-mummy mode, and my hormones were still going crazy, I decided a second baby would be great. Get them all out of the way quickly, then move on to the next phase. But I miscarried, and we didn't feel like trying again for a long time. And in that time my hormones rebalanced and I had time to think. I drew up a table weighing up the pros and cons of having another baby. The table overwhelmingly leant towards the cons. I realised that if I had a hard time coping with my son it would be much harder with two. Something told me I was too selfish/self-interested to love a second child. So time passed.

A year and a half later I accidentally fell pregnant again. I was devastated, while my husband was ecstatic and refused to let me have an abortion... (This is a grossly simplified version of the story)... We fought about it and it was really tough, but somehow I eventually accepted that I would have to go through with it or risk our relationship. As the early weeks passed I knew instinctively that I was having a girl this time, and this changed things for me. I don't know why, it was a biological mother-daughter thing. I started to look forward to meeting her, which I hadn't done with my son at all. When the ultrasound showed it was indeed a girl, I was elated. I approached this pregnancy very differently and prepared myself psychologically.

I've tried to keep this short, and failed miserably, sorry! I have left out much that I feel is relevant, but this is getting ridiculously long!

For me, as an autist, two kids is incredibly hard going. Having kids has exacerbated my bad traits. My anger is always near the surface, and I suffer sensory overload often. I now keep noise reducing ear muffs in the kitchen for bad times. Our eldest we suspect is also Aspie. This brings extra challenges, and he and I are so alike yet we constantly clash. There is also my dissatisfaction at having my day dictated for me, despite loving routines. I feel like I'll never do anything meaningful with my life (although I am aware that having children is pretty meaningful, especially if they are bright and talented like my son). I don't cope well with those unexpected things that come with kids: wanting friends to come over at the drop of a hat, or emergencies, or kids not showing up on time, or sudden illnesses that require my constant presence and impinge on my personal time, etc. The social side of parenting is especially troublesome... My son wants to play with friends but I don't want to talk to anyone or their parents. I've never been a kid-friendly type! :)

But despite all the hard stuff that I'm struggling with, I also know that without these struggles I wouldn't have found out I'm autistic, because it was my search for answers to explain my constant anger with my kids that led me to it. Since then I've had an amazing awakening, finally understanding so much about myself.

I don't know if any if this will help you. But know that you are not alone in changing your mind. Remember than any choices you make now are not set in stone... Life never goes the way you plan it, as I well know with two unplanned kiddos!

I'm not sure how young you are (I'm soon to be 40), but my most conflicted time as far as do-I-don't-I-want-kids was from my mid teens to around age 22. After that I moved overseas and was too busy having a good time for a decade that the question never really came up (thankfully, for me). I'm a bit of a fatalist and so no matter what you feel now, nothing can predict what will happen when you're older. :bee:

Sorry, everyone, that this is so long. :oops:
Wow... Thank you for sharing your side. It actually does help. I only want one kid now, but if a time comes when they're a little bit older that I want another one, then I will have another one. Oh, and I'm 21, by the way.

Wow... Thank you for sharing your side. It actually does help. I only want one kid now, but if a time comes when they're a little bit older that I want another one, then I will have another one. Oh, and I'm 21, by the way.

So there's plenty of time for changing your mind or life changing it for you. :) I think that if you've always wanted kids, you'll probably be a happier parent than I am, teehee. :D

I agree that you should have one first (when you're ready), and then decide whether you want two or not. My husband wanted kids and I didn't. I finally compromised and we agreed we would have two--for the same reason your bf stated, that an only child might be spoiled.

Well, I had post-partum/post-natal depression, and finally decided right after my son's first birthday that having a second one would be a Very Bad Idea. Talked it through with my husband and he agreed to compromise on that, for my sake.

Glad we did, because our son inherited both my husband's (suspected) Asperger's as well as my ADHD, and he turned out to be extremely difficult to raise! (Edited to explain: he has ODD as well, but we didn't know any of these diagnoses until just last summer so we thought he was just really, really rebellious and immature. Now that we know, we've made some huge changes in how we deal with him). He's 15 now and I wouldn't trade him for anything, but he's STILL not an easy person to deal with! I would have gone spare if I'd had two!

So yeah... if you want any, start with one and make no promises about the second until you're SURE you're ready. And keep in mind that there is NOTHING wrong with never being ready for that second one. :)

Edited again to add: my son is also living proof that only children don't always get spoiled! We are fairly strict with him, because he's one of those "give an inch, he'll take a mile" sorts of people. We rarely give him the inch, so he's far from spoiled.

I think it is worth talking to your boyfriend and telling him that you are unsure that you want two children as of now, more so to keep an open, honest relationship (which is way harder than I ever imagined it would be.)

I suspect my daughter and I may be aspies, and like Cosmophylla, it's actually having children that have led me to seek out answers to find a greater understanding of myself and my daughter. My younger daughter has a number of health issues, mild sensory issues, and I've recently noticed that much of her speech is quoted from movies and music. It was learning about these and reflecting on my own experiences that I looked deeper. They have certainly been some of the hardest years of my life, basically throwing me into social situations that I am not prepared for, but it's opened my eyes to my lack of rudimentary social skills and pushed me into exploring those concepts. I may never understand love like others, but I know for certain that I had absolutely no understanding of what love really was before I met my husband and had children. It is a whirlwind adventure that usually has me overwhelmed and while I regret the speed in which I took on these changes, I am ultimately happy that I made them.

New Threads

Top Bottom