• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sudden Shut-down. What Should I Do?

Gini

I've been reading the forums for a while now and found there are many intelligent and helpful people here. I am looking for feedback and hope you all can help me. I'll be as brief as possible given the complicated relationship.

This past January, I reconnected with my first teenage boyfriend. We are now in our late 60s and both widowed. Due to the clinical diagnosis of my sons as PDD-NOS and my late husband as Aspie, I've been reading, researching and living HFA for the past 20 years.

In the beginning, I thought of my first boyfriend and suspected he was on the spectrum as well. Since I've reconnected with him, I'm positive. I've never mentioned it to him.

Over the past 6/7 months, I became attached to his brilliance and sensitivity. He had a very bad 35 year marriage and was determined not to ever have a committed relationship again. As teens, (I was 15, he was 19) he fell hard—totally in love with me. He wrote me some very wonderful, loving letters which I still have. At the time, I wasn't ready to go steady so I eventually broke it off.

In January, he reconnected with me. When I showed him the letters, I said “this is how you used to feel about me.” He said, “I still do.” We had not seen each other for 50 years. He wanted to see me more so we got together weekly and had a great relationship for several months. He wavered between keeping me at arms length and drawing me in. He was resisting getting too involved. I wasn't. I also suspected he was more involved than he admitted. I brought up the relationship a couple times over the months but he struggled very hard with emotions. He couldn't talk about it and made it clear he didn't want to. I understood. Because we lived an hour from each other, he decided that he would call me every night at 8 PM and he did. Like clockwork. Until last Monday.

I was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm and he was very worried about me and admitted that he was as deep in the relationship as I was, but last Monday, four days after my diagnosis, he called at the usual time but was acting very agitated. We differ politically and agreed not to discuss politics. This call, he went there and for an hour chastised me for my position. I listened. It seemed he was trying to draw me into an argument and I wasn't going to bite. That was the last time I heard from him. No explanation, just silence.

I know he needs time and space but I'm not sure what to think. I haven't contacted him at all. I thought about writing him a letter/note because I know he can express himself better in writing (he doesn't have a computer/email). I also thought that if he wanted to talk to me, he'd call. Besides, I wasn't happy about the way this transpired. Still, I miss him terribly and don't know what I should do, if anything. I don't want it to be over. Days prior to this he was making summer plans for us to do some day trips and cookouts. Should I contact him? If so, how? Thoughts? Questions?

In these politically antagonistic times, it's necessary if you have close associates with opposing views to work out ground rules. Either don't discuss it at all, or agree to disagree, or similar.

I think your long lost love really does want to be in touch with you. Make an overture, letting him know that you feel badly about not hearing from him for several days and that you miss him.

It might not hurt to let him know you understand your views about politics and society differ. Possibly you insulted him indirectly by criticizing something he agrees with.

People with autism can sometimes have rigid beliefs, and this can extend to their political opinions. If you are willing to accept his autism, you will have to accept this, as well.

Going by your own words, we can only surmise that he's terribly conflicted about resuming a very old relationship. Yet he is out of a very bad long term relationship (again your words). He has wavered in terms of any real commitment towards you. And he has a problem with your politics. (For some that's a real deal-breaker.)

What do I think? I suspect he's rethinking it all, with the trigger being a political discussion. I suspect he's run for cover. Whether this is permanent or not is hard to tell. I wouldn't attempt to contact him under such circumstances. If there is any real potential in such a relationship I suspect it is he who must make the next move, if he intends to at all. And if it happens, forget politics. Like forever....

I know at this age if I were to suddenly have such an opportunity it would be quite confusing and frustrating to me. Even if it was that special someone I've pined about for decades long after we broke up.

In these politically antagonistic times, it's necessary if you have close associates with opposing views to work out ground rules. Either don't discuss it at all, or agree to disagree, or similar.

I think your long lost love really does want to be in touch with you. Make an overture, letting him know that you feel badly about not hearing from him for several days and that you miss him.

It might not hurt to let him know you understand your views about politics and society differ. Possibly you insulted him indirectly by criticizing something he agrees with.

People with autism can sometimes have rigid beliefs, and this can extend to their political opinions. If you are willing to accept his autism, you will have to accept this, as well.

Thank you for your response. The thing is that we have an agreement to not discuss politics and we've stuck with that. This was "out of the blue." Also, I didn't discuss politics with him this time. I just listened. I know better than get into it with him and I didn't. It seemed to me like he was intentionally trying to start an argument. The political issue came up as soon as we reconnected and we both agreed to deal with it by not discussing it.
If he wanted to really start a fight, that's where he would go. I don't think this is about politics at all. I could be wrong but it wouldn't fit with the nature of our relationship.

Going by your own words, we can only surmise that he's terribly conflicted about resuming a very old relationship. Yet he is out of a very bad long term relationship (again your words). He has wavered in terms of any real commitment towards you. And he has a problem with your politics. (For some that's a real deal-breaker.)

What do I think? I suspect he's rethinking it all, with the trigger being a political discussion. I suspect he's run for cover. Whether this is permanent or not is hard to tell. I wouldn't attempt to contact him under such circumstances. If there is any real potential in such a relationship I suspect it is he who must make the next move, if he intends to at all. And if it happens, forget politics. Like forever....

I know at this age if I were to suddenly have such an opportunity it would be quite confusing and frustrating to me. Even if it was that special someone I've pined about for decades long after we broke up.
I'm sure you're right about it being confusing and frustrating for him. Since it was right after my aneurysm diagnosis and he said he was deeper into me than he admitted before that he was trying to start an argument as an excuse to back out of the relationship. By this time, we were pretty close. Why would he just suddenly back away and not even discuss it with me? Would it just be too overwhelming for him?

So, you don't think I should even write him a short letter? (sigh, I don't really want to hear that!)

So, you don't think I should even write him a short letter? (sigh, I don't really want to hear that!)

Nope. If he's fighting his own battle he needs to come to a conclusion all on his own. A delicate balance may be in play. Pushing things could cause it all to collapse.

Well, I disagree with the above (what Judge wrote). Being on the spectrum does not excuse him from normal human responsibilities. He took it on himself to contact you and remain in contact for several months; then when you had a health crisis and needed him, he lectures you for an hour on politics and disappears. Confront him for being a cad (okay, that's too strong a word) and let him know you really, really want to hear from him. After that one overture, I wouldn't reach out again until he responds.

Nope. If he's fighting his own battle he needs to come to a conclusion all on his own. A delicate balance may be in play. Pushing things could cause it all to collapse.
I understand. I don't like it, but I understand.

Well, I disagree with the above (what Judge wrote). Being on the spectrum does not excuse him from normal human responsibilities. He took it on himself to contact you and remain in contact for several months; then when you had a health crisis and needed him, he lectures you for an hour on politics and disappears. Confront him for being a cad (okay, that's too strong a word) and let him know you really, really want to hear from him. After that one overture, I wouldn't reach out again until he responds.

I never said or implied the guy is an angel. Just pointing out that it sounds like he's overwhelmed and won't likely respond positively to more input. What he should do in terms of good conduct may be academic. He may simply have too much baggage from his past relationship to follow through. With the political argument triggering something. Not fair, but it happens.

And if he did decide not to pursue her any further, it makes no sense to bother to even contact him anyways. Best to just move on unless she's willing to wait to see if he contacts her or not.

From my own experience I'm inclined to think that relationships seldom operate on a purely 50-50 basis. Although certainly desirable, that someone is more likely to get that short end of the stick when a relationship is on such shaky ground.

Last edited:
GadAbout, What he did was pretty low. That's where I'm conflicted. Do I really want a relationship with someone so inconsiderate of me. On the other hand, I certainly understand how someone on the spectrum would have a difficult time processing the relationship. I was married to my Aspie husband for 23 years so I'm not new at this. Still, you make a good point about being on the spectrum as no excuse for being a "cad." Yes, I'll go along with that! If I did touch base with him, it would be only once.

GadAbout, What he did was pretty low. That's where I'm conflicted. Do I really want a relationship with someone so inconsiderate of me.

Sounds like you've worked the problem to a logical conclusion.

Sounds like you've worked the problem to a logical conclusion.

UPDATE: I got a phone call from "long lost love's" brother today. He called because I left a short message on the answering machine and asked "love" to call me. His brother told me that he died last Tuesday. I am devastated. I last spoke with him Monday night. He didn't intentionally miss one phone call. His brother didn't have my number to call me before. His brother and I cried together. He is irreplaceable. I am lost.

Thank you so much for help last night.

UPDATE: I got a phone call from "long lost love's" brother today. He called because I left a short message on the answering machine and asked "love" to call me. His brother told me that he died last Tuesday. I am devastated. I last spoke with him Monday night. He didn't intentionally miss one phone call. His brother didn't have my number to call me before. His brother and I cried together. He is irreplaceable. I am lost.

Thank you so much for help last night.

Very sorry to hear. Apparently he really was fighting his own battle. The one for his life.

So sorry to hear this, it was a beautiful gift that he re-entered your life and you were able to reconnect. Sometimes l am quick to think there is no interest, when often times, my special guy is involved in life, and all the extras that come with life. You now have closure and can save a little time to reflect on your beautiful connection.

New Threads

Top Bottom