• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Stupidly Excited

Weeble

Obligatory introduction time.

I finished reading Neurotribes seven weeks ago. Did some further reading, having gone down the Google rabbit hole. Became increasingly convinced I'm autistic. My partner agreed, so I made an appointment with my GP for a discussion.

Which was yesterday. He was initially sceptical but after twenty minutes, he was convinced too.

The Psych services in my area are chronically understaffed so all appointments go through triage, and if you've had treatment, you have to wait three years before you can get another referral, unless you are in immediate danger. My GP doesn't want to waste my 'ticket' on a referral only for an autism assessment, in case my mental health starts crashing again and I need the referral for other reasons.

I'm okay with that. I've had the validation I needed from my GP, with his unofficial diagnosis. Like he said, I'm functioning very well at moment (got general anxiety syndrome and depression), so let those in trouble NOW get the limited appointments.

Today I have been incredibly happy, and relieved. Finally, I can believe that all friendship disasters I've had aren't because I'm a bad person. I've spent forty-four years (I'm 48) thinking there was something wrong with me, something horrible, and now I know there isn't - I'm autistic.

Different, not wrong, or horrible, or inherently unlikable.

Yeah, so stupidly excited. Most of my friends are autistic - maybe that should have been a clue? :D

Hi Weeble

welcome to af.png

Great you are here. Think you might like it here. Jump right in, find your place in the sun.

Yes, not wrong, horrible, or inherently unlikeable! I know that feeling of relief of which you speak. I also find myself cutting myself some slack in other areas too. Like meltdowns, angry outbursts, fear of talking on the phone, avoidance in general. This autism thing was clearly the missing piece in the puzzle.

Welcome to here! Here was nice, but you just made it better. I hope you find here to be as welcoming and helpful as I have. I hope you stay.

Hello & welcome @Weeble .
If you have a choice in counselors, don't trust everyone who claims that they know autism. Many barely know ASD2 & 3 and do not recognize ASD1 at all.

I have a page for finding support in the USA, but your OP sounds like you are in a different country. If you are, see if you have a national autism society and find their recommendations for service providers.

Hi weeble, where’s Bob? (I know that’s technically Weebl, but I couldn’t help myself)

New Threads

Top Bottom