• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Struggling to decide whether I should study abroad (Taiwan or Germany)

Libecht

Recently I'm deeply troubled by the decision of where I should study for a master degree. Studying in Germany looks incredibly challenging, and my doubts grow. I'm in desperate need of your advice and insights. Some info about me first:

I'm 22. Native Taiwanese. Recently received my bachelor degree in mechanical engineering at the second best domestic university (within top 100 worldwide according to the QS ranking), and with pretty good grades. I've also been admitted by the best uni in Taiwan (also top 100) for master program in the same subject.

Now, for years ago I've been aiming to get my master degree in Germany, merely because of their reputation in engineering, good working environment, etc. Since then I've been studying German and have passed the TestDaF exam, which allows me to apply to programs taught in German. I'm now only preparing the necessary documents.

I've listed the pros and cons:

Study in Taiwan:
+: Obviously more comfortable because of familiarity. Although it's the best uni in my country, I'm confident I can handle the studies.
+: I can still go to Germany as an exchange student, to have a taste of German education and lifestyle.
+: I'm quite attached to my parents and other relatives and they'll be just hours away.
-: Although mechanical engineering is not a prominent industry here, finding a well-paid job won't be hard. However aerospace engineering jobs are scarce.
-: It'd be difficult to find jobs abroad. Although I don't really look forward to that at the moment.

Study in Germany:
+: Receive one of the best engineering education in the world. Unlike Taiwan Germany has a strong aerospace industry.
+: Great career opportunities. Better salary, less working hours, better welfare and all that.
+: With a German master degree I can look for jobs in both Germany and Taiwan. It looks good on the CV at least.
-: Graduating from a German uni is already challenging for the German. Based on what I heard, foreign students have to study really hard to graduate on time while many take even longer.
-: Separated with all my friends and family. Last year I did an internship there for 2 months and missed them dearly.
-: Finding an apartment, making friends, writing master thesis and other things will certainly be difficult for a foreigner and a non-native German speaker.

People say I'm talented at languages and engineering, so studying abroad is the best option, but I'm just not motivated as I was. Now I'm just afraid of not seeing my family for half or 1 year, while struggling with the studies. Germany to me is just a career booster. What do you guys think? Should I be content with "good" or strive for excellency?

Last edited:
Germany is a horrific dirty place full of murders, robberies, loud obnoxious low IQ trash and a really weird obsession with feces. I am not too familiar with Taiwan, but I know there are no taxes on investments there. That alone says it's by far the best choice as far as living and working is concerned.

The problem you are probably facing here is one caused by Taiwanese ignorance, where it's widely believed that European/USA universities are higher quality. This is not true, they are of inferior quality with political leftist indoctrination programs being the prime subjects. However, there's a big chance that you will have a large advantage on the Taiwanese (and East-Asian in general) job market with a degree from a western university due to this pervasive ignorance.

How competitive is the Taiwanese job market? I'm also questioning as to whether it's even worth it to continue studying for a Masters. Perhaps it's free for you due to scholarship since you seem to have excellent grades. In the case where everything is paid for, it might be worth it to continue to study. Or perhaps in your field of engineering the job market in Taiwan is so competitive that you do require a Masters.

Better hours, salary, welfare are all minor things if you plan to be successful. True wealth is all about investment, if you do things the smart way then there is no way you will be a salaryman from 30 to 65. Also remember that all those nice German social programs are running out of money and that there will likely be no pension waiting for you and that social healthcare is slowly being chipped away at by austerity measures.

I do know that Taiwan, for whatever crazy reason, has quite low salary and income. A mechanical engineer seems to make less than half in Taiwan compared to Germany. I honestly can't believe this, but the data I found says it's so. Grass is greener kind of story, so this is probably because Taiwan also has political and economic issues of it's own.

So one possible choice is to work in Germany at over twice the salary and save like crazy, planning to retire to Taiwan in a decade time and then to invest tax-free. The other choice is to stay in Taiwan and make do with less, perhaps (and maybe this is a large problem for you as Taiwanese, but it is only a suggestion) finding some way of having a connection with China, as the big long-term issue for Taiwan remains China. Having a professional connection to China would hedge your risk with Taiwan, and should China go nowhere or collapse then that is hedged by your connection to Taiwan.

Just remember to be prepared for absolute hell. Not seeing your family for a year or whatever is a minor issue. Germany will not be what you expect it to be, it's likely to feel like moving to a developing nation for you, you are likely going to have some experience with violence and discrimination and the school curriculum is going to involve shutting up and nodding at whatever crazy political ideas your professor has.

If you are prepared for all that then perhaps you might find it worth it for over twice the salary. My opinion is that it's not.

If traveling and some adventure is also on your list of things you want to do, I would pick Germany. Also, if you like history/culture I would definately choose Germany. You are within close reach of several countries. (ie. breakfast in Germany, Lunch in Switzerland, Dinner in France). I'm also HFA but felt very safe and at home there (was stationed there for 5 years with US military).

Germany is a horrific dirty place full of murders, robberies, loud obnoxious low IQ trash and a really weird obsession with feces. ...
If you are prepared for all that then perhaps you might find it worth it for over twice the salary. My opinion is that it's not.
That's quite a strong opinion you have there, but I'm glad you did some research on Taiwan to answer my question. I've done a 2-month internship in Germany, and quite liked it's working environment. The country itself didn't seem as bad as you suggested. I'm just not sure if I'll get used to it.

About the low salary in Taiwan, of course the economic situation is not as good as Germany/the US, but the main reason is that the living cost is also lower. With that "low salary" one can still maintain a decent quality of life. The problems are just longer working hour and perhaps less welfare, like less days of leave and worse employee-boss relationship (I had a first-hand experience on this matter). Also, maybe you'll disagree, but I'm pretty sure Germany is more advanced in engineering. Although investment is important, I do believe it's equally important to find a job you like.

As for why I need a master degree, it's basically become a requirement for 95% of well-paid engineering job in Taiwan, so I see no reason not to continue my studies, just not sure where to do that

I think studying close to home and spending time in Germany as an exchange student would make sense.
This way you can study close to family support and continue learning German, make German friends and contacts in the aerospace field there. Theres no rush. Take your time and enjoy your education.

I absolutely loved my 2 years in Berlin and as an aspie found many things much better than in the UK. The young people speak great English and there are social groups in the cities for people from other countries. It would be a shame for you to miss out on living in such a socially rich country.

I would go to Germany if you have the opportunity. I had the opportunity to study there (for just a few weeks though) and very much enjoyed it. But, seeing as I live in the Netherlands, it wasn't as much of a cultural leap as it would be for you. Also, I didn't have to miss my family and friends for as long. Overall my experience with Germans in academia is that they are generally polite and friendly, although their hierarchy is more strict than I am personally used to. But being a typical Aspie, I didn't mind the hierarchy that much, so long as I knew where everyone stood and what my role was.

That's quite a strong opinion you have there, but I'm glad you did some research on Taiwan to answer my question. I've done a 2-month internship in Germany, and quite liked it's working environment. The country itself didn't seem as bad as you suggested. I'm just not sure if I'll get used to it.

About the low salary in Taiwan, of course the economic situation is not as good as Germany/the US, but the main reason is that the living cost is also lower. With that "low salary" one can still maintain a decent quality of life. The problems are just longer working hour and perhaps less welfare, like less days of leave and worse employee-boss relationship (I had a first-hand experience on this matter). Also, maybe you'll disagree, but I'm pretty sure Germany is more advanced in engineering. Although investment is important, I do believe it's equally important to find a job you like.

As for why I need a master degree, it's basically become a requirement for 95% of well-paid engineering job in Taiwan, so I see no reason not to continue my studies, just not sure where to do that

Not just to answer your question :)

I am interested in perhaps moving to Taiwan once I reach a large enough net worth. This is all just pie in the sky thinking right now, but after research my number 1 choice is Taiwan. Singapore, Hong Kong and some other "tax havens" have all the right tax conditions, but I think I would find them far too urban and "busy". Naturally should the time come I will visit these countries personally for some time to make sure.

Honestly, my idea is that the economic situation in Taiwan is far better than Europe/USA. Hence why the wage difference is a bit puzzling to me, but as I said there is plenty about Taiwan that I don't know and I might have the wrong idea.

If Germany is more advanced in engineering, it probably means all the old knowledge. If you think that going to a German University is where you will learn all this great amazing stuff then that might not be correct. My idea is that if it's to advance your knowledge that I am sure there are a large amount of top notch books (Probably a lot of them written by Germans :) ) that you could read, and that this is a better idea. Unless you are looking to get an edge in the Taiwanese job market.

I might be wrong, but in my mind the universities in Europe and USA are some of the worst in the world. They still hold a lot of prestige due to their past, but that's all in the past. In the here and now they are substandard and poisoned by political activism.

You should simplify your choice and stick to the facts. Higher earning potential with more danger and risk or lower earning potential with lower risk and less danger. Moving to Germany to advance your knowledge might turn out to actually have the opposite result. Should you move there with an understanding of the risks but wish to take those risks in order to earn a higher salary, then things can always turn out better. But don't go there expecting the best and ending up disappointed.

Some interesting (and credible) links noting the perception of the world's best engineering schools, and the metrics used to make such an assessment:

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/engineering

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/articles/subject-rankings-methodology

Interesting results. MIT came in third to Beijing and Singapore. Asian educational institutions seemed to dominate the list in general. I'd follow those patterns. Your best opportunities may be in your own backyard.

Last edited:
I might be wrong, but in my mind the universities in Europe and USA are some of the worst in the world. They still hold a lot of prestige due to their past, but that's all in the past. In the here and now they are substandard and poisoned by political activism
I can only speak for the university at which I studied: in the ten years in which I studied several subjects I have never experienced any form of political activism whatsoever. Politics have no place in the classroom here, unless it's the subject of whatever you're studying.

Germany. It's what you want, you're just scared, which is never a good enough reason. :)

Good luck in Germany! :D

I seriously think you should give consideration to studying in Germany. If your language skills are sufficient, studying will be tough at the beginning, but you will develop the academic language quickly with frequent use and the motivation to be successful. You will make friends there, and your family is just a Skype call away. Most EU universities offer courses taught in English for exchange students, and taking one of these would help keep your English alive if you are too immersed in German. Germany would likely be a better experience than you imagine it to be. In my opinion, this is an opportunity you should not pass up. Taiwan will always be there for you, we hope.

I can only speak for the university at which I studied: in the ten years in which I studied several subjects I have never experienced any form of political activism whatsoever. Politics have no place in the classroom here, unless it's the subject of whatever you're studying.

I live in the same country. You are wrong. All education here is leftist brainwashing.

I live in the same country. You are wrong. All education here is leftist brainwashing.
I am speaking of what I have experienced. I’m not claiming absolute truth. Apparently our experiences have been different, but that doesn’t make me wrong. I have not experienced any political activism while studying at my university, and I have never had a professor trying to push a political agenda on me.

The universities of Netherlands are also leftist? That's how they are here, but for some reason I thought of it as a US thing. Centrism, I guess, or something.

There might be a few exceptions, or cases where the leftists aren't so blatantly screaming in your face, but you got some form of political activism affecting the curriculum in pretty much every Western nation. Anglophone countries are the worst, however. USA, Australia, Canada and UK are pretty much the leaders, but the rest isn't too far behind.

I am speaking of what I have experienced. I’m not claiming absolute truth. Apparently our experiences have been different, but that doesn’t make me wrong. I have not experienced any political activism while studying at my university, and I have never had a professor trying to push a political agenda on me.

True. You did phrase it like that. But unless you went to university 40 years ago in a village with not even a bus stop or supermarket (Just a church and a university) then I seriously doubt this is actually the case. Universities aren't exactly small locally run entities. When I have to believe the senses of someone that went to university that is contradicting data and statistics, I tend to go with the data and statistics and assume that the person is wrong.

My university regularly sent out emails espousing liberal view-points in near-essay format in response to world or campus events.

New Threads

Top Bottom