• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Juliet8080

Hey y'all. Fellow aspie here.

I planning on attending college this spring full-time but I need to make money while I'm there to pay for rent and stuff. I live with my brother and sister but I still need to work 30-40 hours per week at just above minimum wage just to meet the minimum requirements. I can't afford anything fun or excessive.

I'm working two daycare jobs. One as a preschool assistant, which I like, and one as just a daycare provider at a center. I HATE the latter. It's just horrible and I don't want to work with kids anymore. My coworkers are awful, too. I was thinking of working at a sushi belt nearby where I can make tips and thus work less hours as a bonus. There's also an ice skating rink nearby that is hiring and I LOVE ice skating, so that would be pretty cool, but then no tips. I also don't know how much people make in tips at a restaurant and if it would be worth it.

I do really well in fast pace environments and I hate when I have to stand around. I love chaos and also tedious, menial work. But also, with going to school full-time, I don't know if I'd get overwhelmed. I do have sensory overload issues, but I work with toddlers all day and seem to manage that okay.

Any advice for "first time" type jobs to complement college? I hate how much money I need. Dx

Oh, another college student like me. I would try a high end restaurant, not these fast food places, because they are too fast paced.

I think you should apply for all the available positions which interest you and then you'll be able to choose what you want to do from those that are offered to you. Only you can really decide what you want to do. Write down your possible schedule for the week and see whether you will have enough free time to study, eat, sleep, etc. Remember you will need time over and above your scheduled classes in order to do homework and study. As for having fun, that's what the time between college terms is for. Good luck!

If you want to be practical, go for the highest paying per hour, and spend less time at work. If you like fast-paced environments, I suggest bartending? Precision is an advantage, high paying with tips -- I know people who make a full time salary with a few nights a week.

And if you already do well with toddlers, you can handle drunks :D

I would personally keep the job you like, and ditch the one you hate.

Although being forced to work 40 hours a week just to break even on your expenses isn't good for anyone IMO.

I know I couldn't do it, although I am trying to get part time work, but with the current onus from the British government of looking for any excuse to place severe benefit sanctions on anyone they can. I don't dare work even 30 seconds over the legal limit of 16 hours a week, and even that I'd struggle to fit into a week without major changes, plus if the "Powers that be" think I can work those hours, they'll take my benefits off me anyway and then I'd be in a right old pickle to put it mildly.

Hey y'all. Fellow aspie here.

I planning on attending college this spring full-time but I need to make money while I'm there to pay for rent and stuff. I live with my brother and sister but I still need to work 30-40 hours per week at just above minimum wage just to meet the minimum requirements. I can't afford anything fun or excessive.

I'm working two daycare jobs. One as a preschool assistant, which I like, and one as just a daycare provider at a center. I HATE the latter...

I basically stopped reading here. In this situation, you keep the jobs you like and apply for ones you are extremely interested in, and ditch the ones you hate. Attending college full-time is a lot of stress regardless, and any unnecessary negativity will permeate elsewhere. If you cannot afford anything fun or excessive, what will happen if you keep the bad job and some course or professor is also draining? One thing I learned from my college days is your health is one of the most important parts for success.

There are some other factors here I do not know (and in some cases, I shouldn't) like the major, college loans, job market in the area, etc., but I would seriously consider part-time if the money is that tight.

I agree with Werebear, if you can handle it bartending or waitressing in a nightclub can (used to when I went to college) make you several times more in tips than your minimum wage pay that goes with it.

Not sure how you handle stress etc., but having a job you hate at the same time as going to school sounds like it might be a problem for your education as well as simply degrading your standard of living.

Good luck.

I would personally keep the job you like, and ditch the one you hate.

Although being forced to work 40 hours a week just to break even on your expenses isn't good for anyone IMO.

I know I couldn't do it, although I am trying to get part time work, but with the current onus from the British government of looking for any excuse to place severe benefit sanctions on anyone they can. I don't dare work even 30 seconds over the legal limit of 16 hours a week, and even that I'd struggle to fit into a week without major changes, plus if the "Powers that be" think I can work those hours, they'll take my benefits off me anyway and then I'd be in a right old pickle to put it mildly.

Rich, that is the reality most people face. I have to work more than 40 hours to get by. I work as a security guard, and in order to get by, I need overtime 3 weeks out of every month. This means that for 3 weeks out of every month, I sign up for 8 hours of overtime. There are many people that have to work more than one job. In the states, if you're on disability, the most you can earn is 1170.00 per month and then you lose your disability income. 1170.00 a month is a pittance to live on. I was on disability and faced the same issue you did. However, I felt that being unemployed and idle was worse than working hard. I maintain that work is good - we as human beings are meant to work. Plus, it feels good NOT to have to accept a handout from the government. At least I still get Medicare based on my autism. Since Autism is not curable, I will at least have my medical needs taken care of.

New Threads

Top Bottom