• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Strategy Games

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
Is anyone else on here into strategy games? I used to love playing them when I was younger, my favourite was probably Rome Total War: Barbarian Invasion, although I also liked some of the fan-made versions of Rome Total War. I also liked the Sid Meier's Civilizations games.

What are your favourites?

Yes, I've always been into them, but for the most part I dont touch the ones that are most popular.

Not BECAUSE they are popular... I couldnt care less about that. It's just that the mechanics that make those games popular just happen to be things I dont like.

For instance, I cant stand RTS games.... unless they are the sort where you can pause and give orders (I cannot wildly click with a mouse without wrecking my arm, and dont enjoy having to do so anyway). And I've no interest in playing with other actual players. Either the AI can put up a real fight, or I dont bother.

For those reasons, the only RTS I play is AI War. It's pretty much the Dwarf Fortress of strategy games, and as far as I know, the single most difficult thing in the genre... certainly the most complicated, as well. Not for everyone, that game. I havent played it's sequel though, beyond a quick try... something about the visuals in the sequel gives me eye strain just from looking at it.

Sometimes I'll do squad-based games, like Infested Planet. Or strange ones that are a bit hard to stick into one genre, like Creeper World 3 or Particle Fleet.

The Civ series, I THOUGHT I would like... but the AI is absolutely braindead, and it takes forever to do things in that game. Having a unit take 50 billion turns to build just bugs me on a fundamental level. However, I can absolutely see just why people love it. Same with the Total War series (and I do think that series is interesting to WATCH, I just dont like playing it).

Some other games I'm into:

Anno 2070
Bionic Dues (I've a history with this one actually, and there's a difficulty mode literally named after me because I kept telling the dev that it wasnt hard enough yet during development)
Duskers
Dwarf Fortress
Frozen Synapse 2
Into the Breach (this one actually was really popular, and for good reason)
The Last Federation (my first game-dev experience, actually)
Solar Settlers (and every game made by the dev that made this one)
Star Fleet Armada

Also, I'm into board games (solo, not with other players) and for many of them, if they were on the PC instead, they would 100% fall into the "turn-based strategy" category.

There are plenty of others, but those are the ones that occur to me right now.

Is Ticket to Ride a board game you can play solo? I remember coming across that series while looking up board games that help you improve your math skills. (because I suck at math.)

No, that one is a purely competitive game (unless there's an expansion that adds a co-op or solo mode).

Solo playable games are always one of two things: Co-op (as in, players against an "AI" opponent, which is completely controlled by the game's rules and components, or a game where you're working towards a purely shared goal) or something that is designed purely for solo play, usually having no multiplayer aspect to begin with (examples being Hostage Negotiator, or Nemo's War).

In co-op games, soloing works by "multi handing". You're just playing the role of more than one player/character/whatever. After all, there's typically no hidden information in a co-op game. You're all working together, so you dont have to hide your hand of cards from other players or whatever.

The whole idea has gotten increasingly popular in recent years. Many co-op games not only can be played by multi-handing, but now often even have an option to play pure solo (often with altered balance or rules).

If you're interested in any particular game and want to know what player counts it supports, look it up on Boardgamegeek.com. It'll always list the official player count (say, 2-4) but the "community" count under that will usually say if the game can actually be soloed via multihanding or otherwise (so the numbers might change from 2-4, to 1-4).

As for math... you'd be surprised at just how many games use alot of stuff like that. All these percentages and probabilities, and having to try to come up with the most efficient moves. Puzzling out all sorts of stuff like that is one of the big draws of the hobby. Which is something that plenty of strategy video games do, too.

I used to play the resident evil games some of the earlier ones there's some strategy on them. I play LMA manager 07 there's strategy on that

As a Civ fan, I was shocked when I took a human geography course in college. The textbook felt like an expanded Civopedia.

Interesting, how so?
It felt like it really expanded on how the game works, even though of course in reality it's the other way around.

It's been a number of years, but a couple that stood out would be:
* That the designation of pigs as "unclean" in certain religions may have originated in part due to their non-availability in areas where those religious originally arose
* Importance of settling on a river for trade and production
* Resources and impact on development of cities and their culture
* Adaptions based on terrain (I'm not familiar with Civ 4, but 5 and 6 get into this with things like terrace farms and polders)

I don't play video games except word and trivia games on my phone, but my son loves this strategy game called Hearts of Iron IV. It's a World War I/World War II themed game. It is pretty interesting. You get to pick a country and basically try to take over the world. My son is obsessed with history, especially military history. He probably knows more than some of his teachers. He wants to be a military historian/military strategist when he gets older.

I don't play video games except word and trivia games on my phone, but my son loves this strategy game called Hearts of Iron IV. It's a World War I/World War II themed game. It is pretty interesting. You get to pick a country and basically try to take over the world. My son is obsessed with history, especially military history. He probably knows more than some of his teachers. He wants to be a military historian/military strategist when he gets older.

Special interest of mine too. Got an award for history back when I was in school.

now I have a pc again, i can play stuff like Age of empires 2/3, rise of nations, empire dawn of modern age. I play a lot of civ 6 on switch. Ive always wanted to play total war game. I'm waiting for them to go on sale so I can try them. They're old games but even my 2016 laptop couldn't play them.

New Threads

Top Bottom