• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Strange thing happening when I play text adventures

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
This "strange thing" happens in my mind, and what I'm referring to is the descriptions of the world offered by the game. On my many journeys through text based worlds, I have been through the guild hall of a school for magick, a hotel I didn't remember waking up in, an underground city and everything inbetween, but when I try to picture what these places look like, my mind starts racing trying to come up with a mental picture. Sure, the game describes rushing rivers or busy streets, but what colors am I supposed to see in my mind? What kind of faces do the people have, and what about their hair? When I cast REZROV on a locked door, what exactly does it look like? Sparks of electricity or ribbons of energy? What color is the flow of energy? My autistic mind just tumbles over itself trying to "paint the picture".

The messed up thing about it is, well, actually there are two things. One, when I CAN get a clear image in my head, it's always dimly lit like it's happening at night, and sometimes, if my character is outside, I can't picture a sky; it's just full black or a nightscape (unless, in Enchanter, you take more than 200 turns to beat the game, then a curse makes everything corrupt and shadowy).

This doesn't really bother me that much, but it is quite the curiosity.

I'm actually quite good at coming up with pictures in my mind. It seems to be an automatic process I can't control. Sometimes randomn images pop up. Reading your post, my mind decided to throw an image of a castle that never existed in Gaudi's style at me.
When I try to come up with a specific setting, like sunset at the sea in winter, it gets a lot harder to picture it.

I just realized I forgot to add the second thing. The other part of it is that sometimes it's difficult to be consistent with the mental image, as if my mind can't figure out how to keep what it creates...

New Threads

Top Bottom