• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Strange hallucination/ lucid dream?

Aneka

So, one time I lay on my sofa falling asleep and all of sudden there was a strange humming rhythm (like an old washing machine) and in the center of my vision a tanslucent triangle appeared. There were various shapes dancing around the triangle, some looked like dna strings. When I concentrated on the triangle, the humming intensified and I got a headache. I got terrified and managed to wake up.

Also, I don't do drugs and I wasn't on any medication. I tend to have lucid dreams and sleep paralysis quite often, this one freaked my out because the physical sensations were intense.

When this occurred, did you have any sense of having physically left where you were sitting ?

So, one time I lay on my sofa falling asleep and all of sudden there was a strange humming rhythm (like an old washing machine) and in the center of my vision a tanslucent triangle appeared. There were various shapes dancing around the triangle, some looked like dna strings. When I concentrated on the triangle, the humming intensified and I got a headache. I got terrified and managed to wake up.

Also, I don't do drugs and I wasn't on any medication. I tend to have lucid dreams and sleep paralysis quite often, this one freaked my out because the physical sensations were intense.

Normally I’d say it was probably a hypnagogic hallucination, but your experience goes way beyond that (e.g. the physical symptoms). You don’t have epilepsy, do you? I have temporal lobe epilepsy, and my focal seizures always involved a “vibrating” or “humming” sensation, and I would get a headache after the seizures ended. But maybe you did have some kind of strange out-of-body or psychic experience. The triangle thing is very strange and interesting!

But maybe you did have some kind of strange out-of-body or psychic experience.

Possibly astral projection. Why I asked if she felt a sense of leaving her physical body or location. A lot stranger when one can see themselves, as if it was from a third person perspective. Something I've experienced a few times myself.

Possibly astral projection. Why I asked if she felt a sense of leaving her physical body or location. A lot stranger when one can see themselves, as if it was from a third person perspective. Something I've experienced a few times myself.

I wonder if the humming sensation and headache are associated with astral travel. Do you know?

This sounds a bit like me. I have similar dreams, but mine are more realistic.Sometimes i get headaches but most of the time they are just making me more tired.

I wonder if the humming sensation and headache are associated with astral travel. Do you know?

Possibly. :cool:

"As escaping the confines of reality sounds more and more appealing, audiobooks about lucid dreaming, astral projection, and other mystical states are proliferating.

But some listening experiences claim to be actual vehicles of escape—from the physical body, from everyday consciousness, from this dimension—at least, if you’re able to attain the altered states they describe."

The Best Audiobooks for Astral Projection and Out-of-Body Experiences

Last edited:
Normally I’d say it was probably a hypnagogic hallucination, but your experience goes way beyond that (e.g. the physical symptoms). You don’t have epilepsy, do you? I have temporal lobe epilepsy, and my focal seizures always involved a “vibrating” or “humming” sensation, and I would get a headache after the seizures ended. But maybe you did have some kind of strange out-of-body or psychic experience. The triangle thing is very strange and interesting!
Fortunately, I don't suffer from epilepsy. Do you have to take medication? Do these episodes happen often? I heard it occurs as a comorbidity in some women on the spectrum.

I've had a few out-of-body experiences accompanying sleep paralysis. The dream I described was different. Most of the time out-of-body experiences occured in the following way
  • being unable to move (sleep paralysis)
  • body feels lighter, sometimes seeing how my body replicates (double arms/ legs)
  • being forcefully shoved out of my body
  • seeing myself from above, flying
  • it tends to progress into a normal dream or I wake up

Last year at this time I was locked in a sealed hotel room for a 2 week quarantine. Kind of a real-life paralyses, though I paced from 3 to 5 miles in there every day. ha This week, I think my brain decided to process it some more. I’ve been having nightmares about escaping from a large building, on my hands and knees creeping through passageways, across dark city streets, looking for a way to get to the ocean, to a cafe for food, then, remembering with a sense of panic that my wallet & daypack were back at the room.

I've experienced astral travel on a regular basis since age 12.
Didn't have to experiment or try things to achieve it. It just started happening naturally.
I've never had headaches or humming sensations.

As I go into the sleep state, what I see looks like a nebulous cloud that's pinkish white with a hole
in the center. As it grows and gets closer, the next thing is a quick sensation of going through the hole
and I'm somewhere else. Usually don't know where, but, lucid.
So I start looking around for signs of where I might be. Highway signs and numbers, buildings,
street names, billboards or store names and of course what type of area it looks like.

I can somehow feel, taste, eat, smell, just like in the body and if I try something new and like it there,
then I find it in real life, I'll like it here also.
The experience of later finding someplace in person that I was at in the astral is a most pleasant
thing. To see it really IS in real life as it was in the astral and know your way around is just WOW!

There was an article about a week ago on MSN about how people are trying to learn this and
a warning that some were getting headaches and odd sensations from trying too much.
There are many books and guided imagery experiences on the subject now.

I've experienced astral travel on a regular basis since age 12.
Didn't have to experiment or try things to achieve it. It just started happening naturally.
I've never had headaches or humming sensations.

As I go into the sleep state, what I see looks like a nebulous cloud that's pinkish white with a hole
in the center. As it grows and gets closer, the next thing is a quick sensation of going through the hole
and I'm somewhere else. Usually don't know where, but, lucid.
So I start looking around for signs of where I might be. Highway signs and numbers, buildings,
street names, billboards or store names and of course what type of area it looks like.

I can somehow feel, taste, eat, smell, just like in the body and if I try something new and like it there,
then I find it in real life, I'll like it here also.
The experience of later finding someplace in person that I was at in the astral is a most pleasant
thing. To see it really IS in real life as it was in the astral and know your way around is just WOW!

There was an article about a week ago on MSN about how people are trying to learn this and
a warning that some were getting headaches and odd sensations from trying too much.
There are many books and guided imagery experiences on the subject now.

I always like the idea of this sort of thing... lucid dreams or astral whatever... but then I remember what my dreams are like.

Sure, I could end up here:

OculusScreenshot1637407201.jpeg

Or I could end up in this fresh hell:

OculusScreenshot1637408266.jpeg

Both of these are pretty accurate in terms of what my dreams are like. I've seen things that look like either of these.

These are screenshots I took in VR, and that's intense as it is... VR messes with your head (particularly after I accidentally walked off a cliff in that first one, gotta say, didnt like that part). These places feel real when you're in them, which is why you see people in videos do things like try to sit on nonexistent chairs. But it's still VR and I'm used to it and am immune to its side effects. Yet, even still, that second one... I dont think I have to explain WHAT it is. The screenshots or photos or whatever that you see of it online are one thing. But actually being there... even in VR it is a bit distressing, to say the least.

The idea of ending up in something like THAT... or some of the more unpleasant places I've seen... in a lucid dream or full on astral experience (if that can even lead to such a place, heck if I know), is bloody horrifying. Yeah that first one is nice, but... plenty arent.

Maybe it's not particularly logical to have a fear of that happening, but... fear aint logical.

So even once I heard of techniques to induce things like that, well... yeah. Cant get over that. Doesnt help that the weird stuff I've already got going on is distressing enough to begin with.

Isn't that just a dream?
Maybe. I’ve been keeping a journal, & this nightmare has happened over 100 times. It’s only the last dozen or so in which I can (consiously?) get my body to move, in an attempt to escape, to solve the deep, paintul sense of being lost.

I always like the idea of this sort of thing... lucid dreams or astral whatever... but then I remember what my dreams are like.

Sure, I could end up here:

View attachment 72251

Or I could end up in this fresh hell:

View attachment 72252

Both of these are pretty accurate in terms of what my dreams are like. I've seen things that look like either of these.

These are screenshots I took in VR, and that's intense as it is... VR messes with your head (particularly after I accidentally walked off a cliff in that first one, gotta say, didnt like that part). These places feel real when you're in them, which is why you see people in videos do things like try to sit on nonexistent chairs. But it's still VR and I'm used to it and am immune to its side effects. Yet, even still, that second one... I dont think I have to explain WHAT it is. The screenshots or photos or whatever that you see of it online are one thing. But actually being there... even in VR it is a bit distressing, to say the least.

The idea of ending up in something like THAT... or some of the more unpleasant places I've seen... in a lucid dream or full on astral experience (if that can even lead to such a place, heck if I know), is bloody horrifying. Yeah that first one is nice, but... plenty arent.

Maybe it's not particularly logical to have a fear of that happening, but... fear aint logical.

So even once I heard of techniques to induce things like that, well... yeah. Cant get over that. Doesnt help that the weird stuff I've already got going on is distressing enough to begin with.

I think the first one scares me most.
I don't know if I accidently almost astral travelled but the prelude (headache, strange shapes, alien humming sound) overwhelmed me. I was so terrified and tried very hard to wake up. I even noticed that I was crying upon opening my eyes. And then I was scared to fall asleep again. I usually don't experience nightmares and if I do, they don't bother me anymore once I wake up. This was different though.

I don't understand what information convinces anyone that all of these occurrences are not simply dreams?

I don't understand what information convinces anyone that all of these occurrences are not simply dreams?
I think mine are nightmares, because bad dreams don’t wake me up shaking & with my heart pounding, & having bitten my tongue.
As far as something supernatural - no.
Being conscious or semi-awsre of myself in a nightmare tells me I’m almost done processing the issue that was prompting the nightmares.

It’s a good question. Maybe they are. But no one can actually explain conclusively what dreams are. And in the case of @SusanLR , when people dream things and then later encounter them in real life, this goes well beyond anything we think of as normal dreams— or indeed of anything we think of as normal full stop.

@Misery I like the first one you showed also.
I would find it beautiful myself.

IMHO things along this nature of out of body travel or being consciously aware of things that you
later find and experience is fun and because it came naturally to me at a young age, I didn't find it
scary.
There are probably a lot of people this has happened with, but, even more that it hasn't.
My belief is we're all at different levels of spiritual growth. When you're ready, your conscious awareness will know it and it won't be scary. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom