• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Strange feeling behind eyes when excited

Darwin

V.I.P Member
Hi.

Recently, I was officially diagnosed with Level 1 ASD (Asperger’s Syndrome). I experience a strange feeling, and I wonder if it is related to autism.
It occurs whenever I get excited, and goes away when I use earplugs and close my eyes for no less than 10 minutes. I can not describe it because it does not resemble pain or other feelings.

I wonder if anyone else experiences this. Is it because of overstimulation?

Can you describe more?

It is not easy to describe a possibly unique feeling. I was hoping that others with ASD would recognise it if it were common among autistic people.
All I can say about it is that it is a diffuse feeling (can not be located using a finger,) in the forehead behind eyes, comes about when I am excited (mostly, when happy or when I am subjected to noise for less than an hour,) and goes away when I put on earplugs and cover or close my eyes for a few minutes.

Huh. I got one going with my heart. Onlu started a few months ago. Really cant describe it either except hyper.o_O

Huh. I got one going with my heart. Onlu started a few months ago. Really cant describe it either except hyper.o_O

Heart? Yeah, I get a feeling there, too, but would describe it as pain. It accompanies fear. I did some research earlier and found out that it is called “Psychological Pain.” Not sure if that’s what you mean. However, it seems to be unrelated to ASD.

I couldn’t find anything about the one in my forehead!

I think it is some kind of overstimulation. Do you experience any feelings when you are overstimulated?

Hard to say. Its been awhile since that has happened. I try to stay in a relaxed state of mind. The heart thing is all i got right now.

I get strange feelings in my eyes from strong emotions.
Overstimulation can cause an almost dizzy feeling behind the eyes from adrenaline rush.
Also pupil dilation.
A common feeling for me is if I'm really depressed but don't cry, my eyes feel like they have
been crying even if I haven't. They can become bloodshot and all I want to do is shut them for a
while.
This is from over production of cytokines. Emotions cause the over load and you've probably heard
the expression "seeing red." That has it's basis in the cytokine inflammation.

@Wolf Prince time your heart rate next time you feel this. Emotions can cause tachycardia-
a fast heart rate and a feeling like your heart skipped a beat. (ectopic heartbeats)

These are medical reasons that could be causing these sensations that are emotionally induced.
Doubt it has to do with ASD aside of maybe the comorbidty of anxiety or other strong emotions.

Overstimulation can cause an almost dizzy feeling behind the eyes from adrenaline rush.
Also pupil dilation.
A common feeling for me is if I'm really depressed but don't cry, my eyes feel like they have
been crying even if I haven't. They can become bloodshot and all I want to do is shut them for a
while.
This is from over production of cytokines. Emotions cause the over load and you've probably heard

@Wolf Prince time your heart rate next time you feel this. Emotions can cause tachycardia-
a fast heart rate and a feeling like your heart skipped a beat. (ectopic heartbeats)

These are medical reasons that could be causing these sensations that are emotionally induced.
Doubt it has to do with ASD aside of maybe the comorbidty of anxiety or other strong emotions.

The dizzy feeling you described might, actually, be the same as I experience. As for the mechanism, I do not know; I could not find anything about it on the internet.
Since you seem to have knowledge about this stuff, I think there might be a relation between some feelings and ASD. We might experience more strong feelings or even experience peculiar ones because sensitivity to stimuli (which essentially means that our neurons are excited with higher frequencies than others’ neurons when both groups are subjected to the same stimuli) and frequent overstimulation can cause changes in neurons similar to those responsible for memory, and, therefore, respond more powerfully to overstimulation causing strong feelings or even “new” ones.
Heart rate changes are normal, but the “dizzy” feeling you described, which might be the same as the one I described, may not be normal because it does not seem to even exist on the internet.
If you know anything about it, please, post a link.

Also pupil dilation.
while.

Ive been monitoring it. I think the heart tate is normal. But i recently lost weight. So my theory is more blood is flowing to my brain and the autism part is still trying to make sense of it. That to me may explain the weird feeling im getting.

Ive been monitoring it. I think the heart tate is normal. But i recently lost weight. So my theory is more blood is flowing to my brain and the autism part is still trying to make sense of it. That to me may explain the weird feeling im getting.

I agree.

Autistic people are more sensitive to stimuli, and any “extra” activity in the brain can cause strange feelings and other consequences. Since those feelings usually accompany overstimulation, this may actually be the mechanism.

I agree.

Autistic people are more sensitive to stimuli, and any “extra” activity in the brain can cause strange feelings and other consequences. Since those feelings usually accompany overstimulation, this may actually be the mechanism.
I have chronic dry eye for many years and when I feel stressed or depressed it gets worse.

I don't have any links either on the net, just the things doctors have said and having studied medical
arts to become a pharmacist, I have a lot of interest in many subjects on how the body works.
Autism does cause extra activity in the brain.
There are old sayings that are based on some of these things with the cytokines and the eyes
which have true medical meanings, but, they didn't realise why when they said it.
Like "Seeing red" when angry.
Doesn't mean you see the colour red. Your eyes will become bloodshot from the adrenaline and
over production of the cytokines which cause inflammation.
Another is "enough to make my head spin" again caused from the over production of these hormones
and electrical and chemical changes in the brain.

We have hyper-immune systems. More cytokines and histamine to create strange bodily sensations.
The inflammation from the hyper active immune systems and excessive brain activity and hormones
are currently being studied as a way to prevent a lot of the odd physical sensations people with ASD
and anxiety disorders get. Ways to down regulate this without the use of cortisone and antihistamines
which are harmful to the system with extended use are being tested.

Our eyes have a lot of parts that change quickly when strong emotions are felt.
Not only from sadness, but, tears of gladness work the same. Either emotion sets off
the changes in the eye muscles and glands.

Strong emotions can cause these odd sensations of the eyes and head temporarily.
Long term like PTSD will lead to serious bodily destruction like the aspects of chronic dry eye
such as I have.

So, yes, we are more sensitive and over active in our body functions.

New Threads

Top Bottom