• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Strange Behaviors - Relics

Tom

V.I.P Member
As an Aspie I accept that there are things I do or think that others (NT) will think strange. But really they shouldn't talk! In the world at large there are many mainstream cultural and social practices that are in truth verrry weird.

One I have always considered seriously bizarre is the veneration of dead peoples bones. Spiritual considerations aside it is just plain freaky to me to have my attention drawn to someone or others tibia.

It comes to mind as in archeological news, which I follow, the purported femur of St Nicholas (original basis for Santa Claus) has been dated to the 4th Century AD and therefore is the right age at least. I don't mind the study, but that it resides along with a collection of other body part bones in the open to be contemplated. Shouldn't it be returned to the elves for proper burial at the North Pole?
126santas-bone.jpg

Each to his own, I suppose.

When I see such things the only interest I have would be in a forensic or archeological analysis of the bone or artifact. And that if it has any real significance, to consider putting it on display in a museum.

Otherwise it should be recycled into bone meal- right along with my earthly remains when I expire as well.

No bones about it.

As an Aspie I accept that there are things I do or think that others (NT) will think strange. But really they shouldn't talk! In the world at large there are many mainstream cultural and social practices that are in truth verrry weird.

One I have always considered seriously bizarre is the veneration of dead peoples bones. Spiritual considerations aside it is just plain freaky to me to have my attention drawn to someone or others tibia.

It comes to mind as in archeological news, which I follow, the purported femur of St Nicholas (original basis for Santa Claus) has been dated to the 4th Century AD and therefore is the right age at least. I don't mind the study, but that it resides along with a collection of other body part bones in the open to be contemplated. Shouldn't it be returned to the elves for proper burial at the North Pole?
126santas-bone.jpg

I'm interested in the competition between churches at that time.
Getting a 'good bit' of one saint or another could generate massive revenue in the pilgrimage industry.
Which, grew,in part as a way for people to confess their infidelities in a church far away from home, as well as commit new ones no doubt.
I suppose chaucer would be good to look more into that kind of thing.

I wonder how many bits of saints there actually are round the world.....
23 toes of Jesus, 4 heads of john the baptist

Indigenous groups in canada have begun requesting that museums in canada and abroad return remains of their ancestral forebearers. Have been present when they re-buried the bones of ancestors in mass graves. Native groups do benefit from the study of grave goods and remains, so do we all. Yet it is their practice, some groups at least, to leave the graves untouched as tributes to their dead.

The practice of keeping body parts and bones and grave goods and putting them on display seems macabre, the idea of relics that impart some sort of 'magical' spirituality or connection if one has any sort of contact with them seems related to the mysticism of the past.

Coming from a catholic background where people kiss or touch the feet of plaster statues and pray in front of reliquaries seems archaic and bizarre. Even pointless. They are just bones. And although they can tell us about diet and disease and environment, after that they should be re-interred. Ashes to ashes and dust to dust.

Last edited:
I'm interested in the competition between churches at that time.
Getting a 'good bit' of one saint or another could generate massive revenue in the pilgrimage industry.
Which, grew,in part as a way for people to confess their infidelities in a church far away from home, as well as commit new ones no doubt.
I suppose chaucer would be good to look more into that kind of thing.

I wonder how many bits of saints there actually are round the world.....
23 toes of Jesus, 4 heads of john the baptist

I know when the Crusaders sacked Constantinople around 1200 the city possessed 2 heads of John the Baptist.

I can explain relics from a religious perspective. As one grows spiritually, one acquires a greater and fuller presence of the Holy Spirit. When such a person dies, it is believed that the Holy Spirit can continue to work through his body, even though his soul has departed. So the relics can sometimes be associated with miracles. But the biggest part of it is a different mentality about the body, of any person, being holy in itself, and that doesn't cease once the soul has departed - so there is not any disgust towards the remains, but rather, respect and love. When the relics are venerated, it's a means of venerating, that is, paying loving respect, to that particular saint. It's a matter of love and faith, and also a reminder of life and mortality and hope in the resurrection. I realize that can be very hard for others to understand, but that is the experience from within such cultures that keep and venerate relics.

Hmmm....actually, editing my response - I had said, feel free to ask any further questions, but then...religion is a very sensitive topic for me. I'll just say - it would be nice if people could have their opinions and feelings but also at least understand that other perspectives and feelings also exist - I think at minimum some cultural sensitivity towards what is sacred to others would be respectful.

Last edited:
While I personally think burial or cremation, rather than display, is more respectful to the deceased I admit to enjoying a good shrunken head. It's sorta disgusting of me, really. But it's too odd not to look. Repeatedly. Of course it's all a cultural thing and keeping body bits around seems pretty reasonable in comparison to keeping up with celebrity "baby bumps" and who wore what on the red carpet.

I cannot speak for Roman Catholic churches, but if you pass by any Eastern Orthodox churches, you can be sure there are relics there - at minimum they are sown into the cloth that is placed over the altar within the sanctuary, thereby making the altar represent a tomb (calling to mind the ancient times when Christians met in secrecy in tombs to celebrate the liturgy and have communion). But most churches also have other reliquaries where you can view the relics - and it's not always bits of bone, it can just be a piece of cloth. If you live in San Francisco, you can actually view the entire incorrupt body of one of the saints. Yes, I can definitely see how many may see this as very strange and macabre....but that also makes me wonder why more Goths or others with darker leanings aren't even curious about it all, even for non-religious reasons. I once heard a Goth explain that part of being a Goth was about being able to see beauty in darkness, in things that others might not find beautiful but rather scary or dreadful. Well..... :)

As for not cremating the body...I'm sure many of you know this, but traditionally that has been viewed as disrespectful to the body, that's why they weren't cremated....or turned into bone meal, etc, lol.

Last edited:

126santas-bone.jpg

I'm still stuck on where is the rest of him? And how did they conclude this was Santa?
Was he found in a crashed sleigh in the Alps? Did the the elves hire a hit on the guy?
Rouge Reindeer event?
Was he caught with his secretary, and Mrs. Claus lost it?
Why is he in broken pieces... Not such a merry event it looks like...

Who says that doesn't belong to Sasquatch? : )

New Threads

Top Bottom