• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Stop banner alerts from appearing?

hermitical

Hi
Please forgive me, I did try searching but to no avail.
Is there a way to stop the red alerts on the top banner as circled below:
8web8m.jpg

I haven't tested this because I've always used the default settings, but if you move your mouse pointer over your name towards the top right corner, just to the left of "Inbox" and select "Alert Preferences" from the drop down menu, you can turn off whatever alerts you want under various categories, I can see "Blog Entries" and "Media", although I don't see anything related to "Chat". I'm unsure, but I'm wondering if you click on "Chat" and then "LEAVE ROOM" before closing the tab whether it stops it, E.g. you're no longer in the chat room, I am testing this now because I could be completely wrong on this one.

If there's anything else then I'm sure the staff will also respond, the site tends to be much busier later, this is probably due to time differences because although it's turned 11am in the UK, it's very early in the morning in most of the USA and also some people work during the daytime, although it is Saturday so more people could be around a bit earlier than in the week.

Update: Exiting the chatroom doesn't appear to have had an impact on these alerts, so I don't think there is a way to stop those unless anyone else has any ideas?

Last edited:
Thank you, I had looked at those preferences and I don't think they apply to these. More for things you actively follow or for content you have created - for instance it says I am not following any blogs, media albums or galleries and I haven't added media or written a blog, I seem to get those alerts I pictured when anything new is added.
Also, thanks for the time difference reminder...
I'm sure most people appreciate it or it doesn't bother them, I think they are just niggling me and not knowing how to disable it just makes it worse! :)

You do know that if you click on them and
mark them 'read' they go away, right?

Yep, but I am not interested in new media or new chat and will only very occasionally glance at the blogs - and certainly not because I see a new one is posted.

If they are not things I am interested in I was hoping I could turn the function off and not have to mark something read which hasn't been, and won't be, read/viewed.

Conversely the personalised alerts at the top right, next to the profile and email links, I find very useful and these are the ones I can see how to turn off.

Last edited:
You might want to consider it an item to do
automatically, just to get it out of the way.
It's not required that you display interest.

Sorry I have no other solution.
Aside from offering that.

The other thing is that marking them read takes you to the page, and I don't know how to mark chat as read, clicking the small tab just takes you to the chat page and puts you in the room

@hermitical

That's true.
Clicking on the red count number for Chat
does just take you into chat.

My personal solution?

To note it, much as one might see out the
window that there are more clouds/fewer clouds,
some quantity of sunshine, but since you're indoors
it isn't a prompt for any sort of action or concern.

Not seen that "Net Neutrality" thingy for a bit, I suppose you had a lot of complaints about it?

All I'm doing is asking for some assistance in the Site Questions forum - the site makes it possible to turn off other alerts so I was hoping there might be a way to turn off the ones I mentioned.

Your comment is both provocative and unhelpful.

All I'm doing is asking for some assistance in the Site Questions forum - the site makes it possible to turn off other alerts so I was hoping there might be a way to turn off the ones I mentioned.

Your comment is both provocative and unhelpful.

I believe Mr Allen was relating to the color shock aspect,
and not intending to be provoking.

The Net Neutrality *thingy*, as he referred to it, was
very startling, a full screen, and red. And many people were
perplexed regarding what it meant and what to do
about it.
=====
I looked in my own Alert Preferences section and chat isn't included.

In all honesty I haven't seen a single net neutrality notification that was full screen and red. Most I see are small pop-ups, usually white boxes or muted colours.

Saying "I suppose you had a lot of complaints about it?" seemed like a pointed personal comment along the lines of, 'well if this little thing is bothering you I bet you complained a lot about the net neutrality notifications'.

Anyway, thank you, I know chat isn't in the alert preferences and as I said earlier the alert preferences for blogs and media don't affect the alerts on the banner as far as I can tell. I appreciate your very logical and sensible ideas on just ignoring it. If it turns out there is nothing to be done then that is what I shall have to do - I just didn't think it would hurt to ask.

@hermitcal

I believe rather than a pointed personal criticism
the question/remark was intended to be a
mate-y sort of comment, along the lines of
'I suppose you noticed that lot and were as
annoyed as most of us were to see it the
first time."

It really was a startling display, the full screen
red. At the time. That's been over with for
some time, now.
=====

@xudo

I thought he said he'd already looked there.

But, maybe it will be worth another look, for him.

Given the context you share I can see that your interpretation could make some sense though the phrasing still seems a little pointed but my apologies to Mr Allen if was indeed a friendly comment.

I don't remember seeing that red full screen at all and it does sound jarring but at least one click and it is gone forever!

@xudo

I thought he said he'd already looked there.

But, maybe it will be worth another look, for him.

Nope, as I said up-thread I'd been looking in alert preferences as they seemed like alerts to me (red, showing how many of the item like the alerts in the top right hand corner) not preferences/browsing preferences which is where the options xudo pointed me towards.

I know how to get rid of them, as I have turned some off.

Thank you!!! So easy when you know where to find it. Very much appreciated xudo :)

New Threads

Top Bottom